We are an Australian couple (husband 63 and wife 45) who are planning a four year trip to Europe and the United Kingdom. We are aware of the Shengen rules, we will rotate between Schengen and non Shengen countries each 90 days. We have traveled quite extensively over the last ten years and have spent considerable time driving in Europe.
Our plan takes one of two forms, either we will buy a campervan/motorhome (as small as we can get away with that is self contained with toilet and shower), or base ourselves in one month to six week apartment rentals and explore out from there via trains/buses.
The advice that I’m looking for at this stage is general, I’ve found a few campervan/motorhome sites that assist with lower value vehicles, I’m aware of campgrounds, and restrictions in and around large cities. I guess what I’m looking for is any information that may be really useful in the big picture planning.
This is a long term goal and dream for both of us, all our savings will go toward it, so my biggest question that I need help with, can anyone assist with budgets. Optimally, I’d like to keep it under E100 per day, but regardless the cheaper the better. We wouldn’t be driving great distances each day, wouldn’t be eating out a lot, we’d be going to the big attractions and some museums and art galleries, but not many. We love food, we love slow travel, we love different cultures.
Looking forward to any input from any more experienced travellers out there, thank you, Melissa
PS Hope I haven't left any pertinent information out, please let me know.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mifi rentals for Portugal
- 2 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 3 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 4 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 5 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 6 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 7 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 8 Moscow Hotels
- 9 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 10 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 11 Airport Transfer
- 12 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 13 Dublin to Donegal
- 14 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 15 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 16 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 17 Cotswold - great food & ambience for lunch!
- 18 Barcelona tour option help please
- 19 Again, onboard robbery attempts on trains leaving Milano Centrale station
- 20 New Years in France
- 21 Which Aran Island??
- 22 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 23 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 24 Easter Week in Italy
- 25 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
Advice needed for extended European/United Kingdom trip for two Australians