Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice needed about travel agents recomendations for Italy Honeymoon. good price? good hotels?

Advice needed about travel agents recomendations for Italy Honeymoon. good price? good hotels?

Jan 20th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

I am trying to plan a 11 day Italian Honeymoon in mid May. I spoke with a travel agent on the phone (one who does specialize in Italy trips & is from Italy herself.) And we are going to meet with her tomorrow night.

She gave us a price of $1995 per person, includes $800 for airfare & 11 nights hotel accomodations (breakfast included everyday).

the hotels were:

Sorrento - 4 nights - Michelangelo Hotel
Rome - 3 nights - Siviglia Hotel
Montecatini - 4 nights - Giglio Hotel

as a side note, i think i have decided to switch Montecatini for Lake Como, & need to ask her about this when I met her.

I know many dont recommend using travel agents. I would love to do extensive research and plan this on my own. But I am also planning a wedding and have just bought a house, all in the past 3 months & the wedding is in May. I am very busy and thought to save myself some major time I would just have someone plan it for me.
(just the hotels/airfare - everything else i will plan on my own.)

Was hoping to get some feedback on this price she gave us, & any feedback on the particular hotels.

Should I go through with using this agent, or now that I have found this site & have become addicted to it in the past 2 days, should I begin to plan it on my own, using all your great advice? (if i do this, i will never get any actual work done at my job!)
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:00 PM

The price doesn't sound bad, although I'm not familiar with those particular hotels. You could probably save some money by planning on your own, but it sounds like you might not have the time necessary to do the research.

Many people, myself included, enjoy the planning almost as much as the trip itself. But it really does take a lot of time and effort to ensure that you make choices you'll (hopefully!) be happy with.

If you trust this agent, you might want to let her guide you this time. This board can still be a wonderful resource for you to use in planning what to do/where to go while in Italy.
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Have you checked reviews for these hotels on tripadvisor.com? Have you tried looking here on the forum or in Rants & Raves? You're paying $2400 for 11 nights of hotels (more than $200/night) unless airport transfers or other things are included.

It would help to know
-from where you are flying ($800 airfare sounds high but maybe not from west coast)
-how you'll travel between locations (& if that's included in the price)
-are taxes included?

Bottom line, use this travel agent or another, but get what you want. Many people like to splurge for a few nights on a honeymoon (beginning or end). I don't know these hotels so can't help. DON'T jeopardize your job! Don't overstress!
Jan 20th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so far!

the $1995 per person included 11 nights accommodations, all taxes, & airfare from Philadelphia (i think it was flying into Naples & departing from Florence). I though that sounded high too, but it was inline with what found doing a quick search on expedia & travelocity.

Transportation between cities is not included, i planned on buying train tickets over there.

i searched all 3 hotels on this board & found some good things about the Michelangelo, but nothing on the other 2 hotels.

my problem is that i DO love all the planning & research - so much that i shouldnt do it, it will consume me & i have so much else to do!
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:09 PM

hmmm on hotwire it's 700 bucks total for the airfare from CA so even cheaper I bet from philly.

When i went to italy last year and am going to spain again this year i did it on my own - coz i had time and it was fun - broke the monotony of work etc for me.

now researching it for my parents for their first trip to italy and well..frankly wanna set them up with a tour coz im kinda busy with school/work etc and plus they travel differently than how I would - im cool with hostels/cheap food/etc but i know they would like more rest stops, overnight stays, decent hotels etc and to do all that research would be 2 time consuming esp since i'm planning it for someone else. So im planning to go with a tour agent. G'luck!
Jan 20th, 2004, 04:21 PM

I never use travel agents, either, but you sound like you're in a special situation, so maybe a travel agent is warranted here (I won't ask what your future spouse is spending time on if you're the one buying a house and planning the wedding). On the other hand, it also sounds like you're already starting to research things on your own, and if she's only doing air and hotel, then her job is done (and you still are going to research everything else). If it's inevitable that you'll research everything anyway, then forget about the travel agent.

On the other hand, you could use the travel agent to do your legwork for you. For example, on the hotels, find out why she's recommending those hotels. Specifically where in the cities are the hotels (especially important in Rome), what are the amenities, have her show you pictures of the rooms (or give you the websites, so you can look yourself). Anything you'd check out if researching someplace yourself, ask her to do or verify for you.

Personally, my and my spouse had a lot more fun planning our honeymoon than we did planning the wedding...
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

just to clarify, my fiancee is totally involved in everything. well, not the actual wedding plans so much - but what can i say, hes a guy. i dont really expect him to spend hours fussing over flowers and dresses. i myself would much rather spend all my free time looking up every hotel in italy as opposed to picking out invitations, but its all stuff that needs to get done. i cant afford a wedding coordinator, but travel agents dont charge anything (do they?) so i figured that might be the best use of resources.
we also both have full time jobs that keep us at the office until 8:00 at night sometimes, and we have just bought our first house which is somewhat of a fixer-upper so that has taken up the majority of both of our times.
sorry, just had to say that, hope i dont sound overly defensive, just explaining where im coming from!

-"If it's inevitable that you'll research everything anyway, then forget about the travel agent."-

this is where you actually have answered my question for me though. i have already totally started the researching process so i may as well roll with it i guess. i really just dont feel like calling all the hotels & looking for best rates, etc. & i also didnt know where to begin to get hotel recommendations, although now i have this board! so i might just ditch the agent.

Jan 21st, 2004, 04:39 AM

Well I just checked the Rome hotel on tripadvisor. The reviews are pretty good (the place is clean, safe, near main train) but it appears that room rates start at $125- so, so far I think we're seeing the prices for this package are probably not the best.