Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-needed-997376/)

mabyrnes Nov 10th, 2013 02:59 AM

Advice needed

Have several questions that I would live help with. Traveling to paris day after Christmas leaving from newark airport but habe a four hour wait. Flying delta does it pay to use delta sky club for the wait and is it conveniently located in terminal? When arriving at cdg I'm meeting a friend flying in from Florida several hours later. She's also flying delta. Would it be convenient to meet her at the Sheraton ? Finally museum pass vs paris pass? Not sure which would be better. Staying in the Latin quarter on rue Descartes where would you recommend to eat that's reasonable. Thanks for any and all advice

Gretchen Nov 10th, 2013 03:02 AM

NOT Paris Pass.
There are plenty of places to hang out at Newark without paying for the club, IMO.
Have a plan B for meeting friend, no matter what you decide--like meeting at the hotel if your Plan A doesn't work.
Ask the hotel desk for a rec.

latedaytraveler Nov 10th, 2013 03:41 AM

Mabyrnes,

Definitely buy the MUSEUM PASS if you intend to visit several museums – well worth it. There are tons of restaurant/cafe choices in that area so just check out their outside menus.

How are you getting to your hotel? I used PARIS SHUTTLE, a shared car service, to get from CDG to the 6th rather than a cab.

Have a great time in Paris…

mamcalice Nov 10th, 2013 04:36 AM

Depending on how many hours you have to wait for your friend, I would be tempted to go directly to your hotel in the Latin Quarter. You will be tired and you never know if the plane will be delayed, etc.

Look at trip reports on this board for restaurant/cafe ideas.

janisj Nov 10th, 2013 05:15 AM

I agree - With more than an hour (or maybe 2 max) I would not wait at CDG. Too many variables. Agree to meet at your hotel in Paris.

StCirq Nov 10th, 2013 09:49 AM

I have never understood the mentality of waiting around for hours at an airport to meet someone. Just go to your hotel. At Newark, I dunno, there are plenty of places to hang around before your flight that don't cost anything. Get a Museum Pass, NOT a Paris Pass, which is a rip-off. As far as eating in Paris goes, there are thousands of threads here about restaurant choices, every guidebook explores that concept, you can easily walk around while waiting for your friend and look at posted menus, and your hotel can help.

Christina Nov 10th, 2013 01:18 PM

I think you should leave the restaurant issue to other threads, it can be difficult to combine them all into one thread. And you should define what your idea of reasonable is, it really varies a lot.

I think the Sheraton is an okay place to meet if you want to wait around the airport for a couple hours, at least there is only one and it shouldn't be hard to get directions to it from someone. It's right near the RER/train station if I recall correctly, which would be convenient enough if the plane lands somewhere in terminal 2. It seems I'm usually landing in 2E, and I fly Air France.

Dont' buy expensive private passes like Paris Pass. I'm always baffled how people even come up with that name or why so many people find it and consider buying it.

denisea Nov 10th, 2013 05:00 PM

Spring for the Delta Sky Club access....good place to be comfortable while you wait. A glass of wine never hurt.

I love the Paris Museum Pass for time saved in lines and waiting. I get one fir the convenience, not for cost savings. I am sure if you visit enough places you can save money but for my vacation, I want to avoid lines.

Go to your hotel to wait. You might as well get settled and start sampling the macarons and pain au chocolat. Or, get to know the way around your neighborhood.

Check Trip Advisor for up to date restaurants....I don't know the area well enough to direct you.