Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice Need To Solve My Dilemma Of Which Madrid Hotel!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:20 PM
Katy

We're booked into Carlos V - 3* (next week), but it's come to my attention that Villa De La Reina - 4* is doing a great rate at the moment!<BR><BR>The rooms appear much nicer that Carlos V and the 'package' seems to offer that bit extra. <BR><BR>However, I'm concerned about location! Not bothered about noise, but will we still be as well located as Carlos V? We are a group of women travelling together and will be walking 'home' late at night.<BR><BR>Is Gran Via a safe area in the evening?<BR><BR>Advice much appreciated.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 12:44 AM
fine

Katy,<BR><BR>The Gran Via is fine in the evening- it is very busy - if you all stick together you should have no problems - cabs are reasonably cheap too!!!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Joyce

The Gran Via is an extremely noisy street, with very loud traffic all hours of the night. My hotel was a block away (on a pedestrian-only street), but even this distance was still too close to the Gran Via noise.<BR><BR>Your note says you are not bothered by noise, but this may not be the case for your friends.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:50 PM
nick

Katy: I was surprised by how noisy the city of Madrid is! There seems to be a building renaissance going on with construction equipment, noisy trucks, jackhammers, etc. I stayed at the Hotel Santo Domingo, about 1 block off the Gran Via. It was a beautiful property, and the price was great at about 125.00 per night, but if I had the chance to doi it over again, I would definitely choose a hotel in a more quiet location in this extremely busy, vibrant, humming, noisy city! I couldn't get over how people were screaming, laughing, and singing in the streets at 0600am after the nightclubs let out. How they go to work in the morning after all-night partying is beyond me!<BR>Good luck and have fun!! - "Sleepless in Minnesota..."

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:15 PM
my2

Carlos V is now under the Best Western chain and they offer a great airport shuttle and breakfast.The location is fabulous!I can't see you going up/down the Gran Via that much. The shops,restaurants are of no great interest.You'll go down to El Corte Ingles and Puerta del Sol more than the other way.I prefer the Intur Hotel Palacio San Martin,just a couple of streets over and quieter-great rate now.<BR>If you do decide on Carlos V,ask for a room w/balcony.Great for people watching.Don't worry about the noise,close the windows,turn up the air and you'll be fine