Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

advice for trip to rome, venice, greek isles

Sep 26th, 1999, 05:09 PM
gwen

We're going to rome, venice, and Santorini in Nov. Does anyone have any recs. re how to travel between these places? Only have 2 weeks. Will fly to rome, then maybe EurAir $99 passes one-way between rome, venice and later venice to athens to ferry out to isles? The passes will total 600$ for two- is there a better way to do this? Is the ferry from Athens-Santorini terribly slow? Does anyone know if any faster boats to the greek isles still run in Nov.?

Sep 26th, 1999, 05:51 PM
hamlet

Here's how I got to Santorini a few summers ago. In the morning I took a train from Naples and arrived in Brindisi in the afternoon. At around 6pm I took the overnight ferry from Brindisi (which is a lot closer than Venice!) to Patras. From there I took a bus (trains also available) and arrived in Athens 3 hours later. From the center of Athens I took the subway to the Port of Piraeus. I got a ticket for a ferry which was departing in an hour for Santorini (around 5pm). I arrived on Santorini and took the bus up to Fira. It was 3:30 in the morning. The journey from Naples to Santorini about 44 hours. There was time to eat and go to the bathroom and hour or so waits before departure times but it's not like we tried to waste time getting around. Be aware that ferries may not run as frequently in November. I wouldn't be as concerned about the actual speed of the boats but instead, how to make maximum use of your vacation days. How about flying into Venice, making your way to Rome, then to Santorini and then flying home from Athens. Of course you can also fly the whole time too if you don't mind spending for it.

Sep 26th, 1999, 06:03 PM
Paulo

Ferries from Piraeus to Santorini take from 8 1/2 to 9 hours, with stops at Paros, Naxos and Ios. The main company that services Santorini out of the Piraeus is Agapitos Express Ferries. Contact them at [email protected] to inform yourself about schedulles in November. There should be overnight ferries. If there aren't, a flight may be more convenient.
Paulo

Sep 26th, 1999, 06:04 PM
gwen

thanks, hamlet, for your reply. One reason i was planning to fly in & out of rome is that there are $410 RT tickets from my city to Rome (see bestfares.com,anyone interested). Perhaps the high-speed train from Rome-Venice and back would be best-does anyone know? And Hamlet-how long was the ferry ride to Santorini? Thanks!

Sep 26th, 1999, 06:07 PM
gwen

Thanks Paulo- I can see you've been a wealth of information on this site.

Sep 26th, 1999, 06:50 PM
Jenny

I dunno, Gwen...With only 2 weeks do you want to spend so much time in transit? Having been to all 3 places, IMO you could spend 2 wks happy busy and without much duplication at any one of them. Consider all the territory/towns/sights between Rome & Venice, and how far Venice is from the Greek Isles in terms of transport time. Flying in and out of Santorini may be time saving option, but flights are very weather-dependant. You can get stuck like we did. Can you pass thru Athens without seeing the Parthenon? Is there any way you would consider two seperate vacations? You are going to be "on the road" quite a bit with this itinerary.

Sep 26th, 1999, 07:05 PM
gwen

Thanks Jenny- You've just convinced me to stick to my original idea- fly between Rome, Venice, Athens-and maybe ferry to Santorini as the only "slow" travel. America is cruel to give so many of us working stiffs only 2 weeks off a year.

Sep 27th, 1999, 10:45 AM
Beth

Hi Gwen,

it doesn't seem very time-effective to fly between Rome and Venice. Its only 4 1/2 hours by high speed train. If you add up all the wait time, and airport travel time, I can't imagine a flight would save you more than an hour. The Pendolino is very nice.