Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice for Portofin or Cinque Terre, and Lucca?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
annieladd

After considering nearly every part of Italy and even parts of Switzerland, we have finally decided the basic bones of our trip.

Day 1- Arrive Genoa and drive someplace on Italian Riviera.
Day 2- Italian Riviera
Day 3- Drive to Lucca
Day 4- Lucca
Day 5- Drive to Florence, drop off car
Day 6- Florence
Day 7- Florence
Day 8- Pick up bigger car and parents at airport, drive to Tuscany for a week (we have this part pretty well figured out)

Need your help on Italian Riviera part. We're looking for pretty scenery, good food and wine, and reasonably priced. Nothing too posh, maybe 150-200E. Portofino looks pretty expensive. We're not big hikers, but Cinque Terre looks beautiful, so I think we're leaning toward that, but open to suggestions. Hotel and restaurant suggestions would be most welcome.

Next is Lucca, any suggestions for hotels or special restaurants?

Anything else in either of these areas that are "must sees"?

Thanks, annieladd

Old May 6th, 2007, 03:34 PM
annieladd

Of course, I meant Portofino.

Old May 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terre is one of my favorite places in Europe. It is old-world Italian fishing villages on cliffs at their best! You can eat a fabulous meal,(fresh pesto a must!), buy a great bottle of wine at a local market (they will open it for you) and have great views from anywhere in any of the villages. We loved it so much 2 summers ago, that we tagged another week on the end of our Croatia vacation last summer and stayed in the CT again. In my opinion, Riomaggiore is the best village to stay in (we also did Vernazza). We rented a place from mar mar apartments and it was reasonable, clean, nice and authentic.You can travel easily by the train that runs back and forth all day long to all the villages (1-2 minutes between villages) As far as hiking, you don't need to be an avid hiker to enjoy a beautiful 20-30 minute walk form Riomaggiore-Manarola-Corniglia (there are a lot of steps up to the village of Corniglia if you get that far). There is a paved pathway(Via del amore)that offers you the option of a leisurely breathtaking stroll and you will probably take about 200 photos!! Enjoy the Cinque Terre- you will not be disappointed! Buon Viaggio
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
annieladd

Thanks for the info. We'll have a car. Do I have to leave the car somewhere to get to these villages?

Old May 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM

In Lucca the Alla Corte Degli Angeli
hotel was a most enjoyable place to stay.
The room, updated bath and the
location could not have been better.
Breakfast was average, but sufficient.
You might want to check out the comments
about it on Trip Advisor.
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:19 AM

Hi Annie,

Have you considered staying in Santa Margherita Ligure? We loved it! Stayed 3 nights and would have liked one more. From there we trained to Riomaggiore and hiked back as far as Vernazza. Another day we took the earliest boat over to Portofino (15 min). Beautiful ride and enjoyed the town before the crowds came.

We stayed at Hotel Laurin a 3* and right on the marina. Parking would be easy in SML.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Yes, you don't want your car for these villages. Some do not even have cars in them! Not a bad idea to leave it in La Spezia if coming from the south. If you are coming from the north, you can ask where a good place is to leave it.
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM

You might cosider taking the train from Genoa to Cinque Terre--stay 2-3 days--shuttle between villages using local ferries or trains. Then train to Lucca--stay a couple of days.

Pick car up in Lucca and continue.I think this will less stressful than motoring out of Genoa--!!--and finding a place to park in Cinque Terre.

GTG
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I suggest you check out staying in Camogli. Hotel La Casmona is very nice and well within your budget. (Try to book a room with a terrace.) There is a beautiful hike from Camogli to Portofino, although the boat ride is also very nice.

You really don't need a car for the trip you are planning on the Riviera and you will find it a terrible nuisance to have one, especially if you try to take it to Cinque Terre or Lucca. Use the trains (and boats) instead and spend your money on food. ;-)

If you like fish and pesto, it's hard to go wrong eating in the Italian Riviera, although do take care not to go to Portofino hungry. It will set you back a fortune!

In Lucca, there are a lot of fancy, expensive restaurants, a lot of them rather mediocre. La Buca di Sant'Antonio, however, is reliably wonderful (eat there at lunch if you are budget-conscious) if rather formal. There are pleasant caffes and informal restaurants in and on the walls of Lucca, and they are often your best bets. There are also many nice places to buy food for a picnic in Lucca, and may nice places to eat them along the walls.

Old May 7th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Good advice from Dayle !
You mention arriving in Genoa--do you know how?
Look at the delta flight into Pisa via JFK if you are flying from USA.
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM

ttt
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM
annieladd

Thanks, everyone, I'm completely confused now, but you've given me a lot to think about.

Bob, why Pisa? Because it costs less? There's not a non-stop from La Guardia is there (I wish we could do this with only 1 stop, leaving from KC)? Help me understand, because I value your opinion.

Others: If we stay in SML do you still suggest train not car? And, if we start from Pisa, same question? I just think of a car as easier (at least it was in France), but I trust your suggestions. Is train station at airport in Pisa and Genoa?

Upon our return from Spoleto to Florence airport where we will be dropping of car (we'll definitely have one then) should I spend night in Florence and leave from there, or train to Pisa? Is Florence train station near airport?

Right now, I'm looking at Hotel Florida Lerici (140E) Hotel Jolanda (148E)Any comments? I'll look at the others suggested. Any other ideas? Are there certain towns I should definitely steer to or away from?

In Lucca, looking at Palazzo Alexander (150E) Hotel La Luna (107E), any comments? I'll look at other suggested.

Is it clear this all has me a bit overwhelmed? So, many options! I guess the only thing that I have to have exactly right is the airfare, the others can mostly be changed without fee. I have so many other questions about booking the airfare, but I'll start with these.

Help! Thanks, annieladd

Old May 7th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't pick up the car until Day 8 when you go to the Florence airport to pick up the parents.

I'd do the first week entirely by public transportation: trains, ferries and buses. I'd stay in just two hotels: one on the coast and the other in Florence. Visit Lucca as a day trip from Florence by train.

I don't think it matters whether you fly into Genoa or Pisa. Pick whatever works best from your home city. However, I would look into flying home from Rome rather than going back to the Florence airport from Spoleto. If you rent from AutoEurope, there is an AutoEurope office a short taxi ride out of the center of Spoleto. Take the train from Spoleto, change at Orte to a train that goes directly to the Rome airport. This only works if the departing flight is in the afternoon.

If your departing flight is in the morning, then train the night before from Spoleto to Rome and spend the afternoon just walking around. Pick a few sights to see: Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Forum/Colisseum (just a look-see). Have a nice dinner on a piazza and use a car service to take you to the airport in the morning.

BTW, we enjoyed our time in Spoleto. It was a nice base for exploring most of Umbria, but it isn't so good for seeing Tuscany. We stayed at the lovely Hotel San Luca which has a great location just inside the city walls with easy ingress/egress for driving around. There was ample street parking (in October), so we didn't have to pay to park in the hotel garage.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved our stay at Palazzo Alexander in Lucca. The owners were so helpful and they provide parking at a secure lot nearby the hotel.
Also liked SML, Camogli, Portovenere, and the CT. Glad we visited Portofino but would not want to stay there.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM

We stayed in Camogli which is right next to Portofino. We took the train for a day trip to CT from there easily. We stayed at Cenobio Dei Dogi Hotel...it was great! Right on the water - beautiful pool and outdoor views from the outdoor patios. Camogli was so charming because it was NOT touristy at all. I highly recommend it!
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM

If you opt to stay in Lerici, having a car is not so much of a burden as in other places. Lerici's ease of access to the autostrada makes daytripping to other places by car attractive. Besides, there is no train station in Lerici, so a car is the best way of getting there.

HOWEVER, if you plan to visit Cinque Terre or Portovenere (my preference), then take the boat, not your rental car.

I still think you would have a more relaxed time if you skipped renting a car altogether and stayed in either Camogli or Santa Margherita Ligure (or even Rappallo), all of which have train stations. If you don't mind crowds during the daytime, any of the five towns of the Cinque Terre are also a possibility.

Cenobbio dei Doge in Camogli is a posh hotel, but it is pricey. Even if you don't stay there, it's nice to have a drink on its terrace -- but having a drink anywhere in Camogli is nice.

Few train stations in Italy are near an airport. However, there is regular bus or train transport from the airport directly to the train station.

Towns to avoid on the Italian Riviera are Portofino -- because of the mobs of tourists -- and the Cinque Terre for the same reason. La Spezia is not beautiful.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Because it is direct from JFK.
Any flight to Genoa will be via a Euro gateway city.
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:41 AM

I styed in Monterosso CT and loved it but next time I think I would stay in Santa Margherita. I thought Portofino was nice, but very small.