Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice for my first trip to Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-for-my-first-trip-to-europe-695256/)

estronski Apr 9th, 2007 10:06 AM

Advice for my first trip to Europe

While my daughter is in Leysin, Switzerland a week in mid-June for a college graduate class, my wife, 15 year old son and I will be siteseeing various areas of Switzerland. After my daughter's class ends, we will meet-up with her and have a week together. What do you world travelers suggest as an itinerary to four novices, only one of whom (my wife) has been to Europe (30 years ago!)? Our flights back to the U.S. will be leaving from Brussels.

Thanks!

ira Apr 9th, 2007 10:20 AM

Hi E,

You haven't given us much to work with, however I suggest that you fly to Paris for 5 nights, take the train to Brussels for a night, fly home.

See www.whichbudget.com for discount airlines.

See www.voyages-sncf.com for trains.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

amwosu Apr 9th, 2007 11:00 AM

No worries about only one of you being in Europe before. Its easy enough to figure things out especially with the help of this board.

Since you'll be spending the first week (I assume) in the area around Leysin which is a ski resort area near a beautiful lake I would spend the second week in a city.

Since you are headed in the direction of Brussels for your flight home Paris makes sense as it is in the same general direction (north!) and it is easy to take the TGV from Paris to Brussels for your departure.

estronski Apr 9th, 2007 11:05 AM

Thanks, Ira. What additional information would you like me to provide that might be helpful for giving us some suggestions.

Ed

suze Apr 9th, 2007 11:21 AM

well I'm not Ira but I'll ask... What are your interests? Do you want to travel in the countryside or see the major cities of Europe? Do you want to rent a car or go by train?

amwosu Apr 9th, 2007 02:54 PM

I'm not Ira either but I think if I were I'd ask questions like...

Do you want to see famous historic landmarks and art?

What is your budget?

Do you want to rent a car and move around or do you want to plunk yourself down in one location and do day trips from there?

janisj Apr 9th, 2007 03:06 PM

I'm not ira either - but I'll repeat what he said. You haven't given us enough to work w/. The answers to some of the above questions will help a LOT.

Europe is a biiiiiigs place w/ thousands of options.

So besides budget, type of transport you'd prefer, etc -- is there ONE special place you have always dreamed of visiting? A life long curiosity, or wish list??

W/o more info - I'd also recommend Paris follwed by a day in Brussels. But maybe you've always dreamed of Venice, or London, or have ancestors from Germany or Scotland or??

estronski Apr 9th, 2007 03:32 PM

Hi everyone!

We land in Zurich and will take the train to Lausanne where we will spend a few nights, Then we go to Locarno for two nights and then to Interlakin.
The second week my wife wants to go to France (Lyon and Paris) and then to Brussels for two days.
She loves art, museums and chocolate! My daughter had her mind set on Italy.
Since I've never been to Europe, anything is fine with me!
I am on a budget but will do what I can to make this an enjoyable trip.