Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice for Madrid travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-for-madrid-travel-106511/)

beth Feb 16th, 2001 01:50 PM

Advice for Madrid travel

We'll be visiting Madrid for 5 days in late September and would love to hear good suggestions for first-time visitors' sights, dining, general advice. <BR> <BR>

Anne Feb 16th, 2001 02:24 PM

Beth, <BR> <BR>Madrid is a great city -- better than I had expected. The Prado is not to be missed (especially the Goya paintings). We also enjoyed the Reine Sofia which is a modern art museum with Picasso's El Guernica. The Palacio Real is also worth seeing. Plaza Mayor is lovely and eating at a cafe there is quite wonderful. With 5 days, I would suggest you consider a day trip. Toledo is one of those incredible places you really should see. The cathedral is awesome. One surpise we had is that very few people speak English. But, this just made the trip more of an adventure -- it's amazing how well you can communicate with gestures and a phrase book. <BR>Have a great time!

David Feb 18th, 2001 04:33 PM

Beth <BR> <BR>I could give you a thousand suggestions for Madrid, but the best one I can give you is to go to WWW.MADRIDMAN.COM and look there. <BR> <BR>There is a bulletin board as well as bulk information about Madrid and Spain only. <BR> <BR>David

Tom Feb 18th, 2001 05:01 PM

We were not exactly Madrid fans (loved Seville and Granada). We did take two great day trips from Madrid - Segovia and Toledo. Segovia the town is great and La Granja (the Spanish Versaille) is just outside of Segovia.

toby Feb 18th, 2001 06:35 PM

We loved the day trip to Toledo...you can take a tour there as we did years ago, or more recently we just hopped on a bus and it was easy. We found a shop that sold scissors with beautiful designs on them that made great gifts. Who can't use a pair of scissors? <BR>In Madrid we ate at "Botin" famous and hundreds of years old..we were afraid it would be too touristy, but it was not-just great dining in a unique atmosphere almost cave-like and great food esp their famous roast pig. Be sure to have some hot choc...the best in my life...like a melted candy bar!

rob Feb 20th, 2001 05:38 AM

madrid didn't do a whole lot for me...the highlight of our stay were the day trips we took to toledo and segovia...go to one or both. the bus and train systems are great although it helps to speak spanish so you can ask questions at the stations. as for the hot choc.....well....i guess its an acquired taste.

Mickey Feb 20th, 2001 05:45 AM

great place but aware of pickpockets in Plaza Manor and in the underground walkways by all 3 foutains go to the Prado and tour the kings Palace

Richard Feb 25th, 2001 01:27 PM

Maybe this will help: <BR>We stayed at CarlosV Hotel in Madrid for 4 days. Quite small rooms but clean but good location. Can walk or short taxi to many places of interest including Del Prado Museum, Royal Palace and more. <BR>Free transportation to/from airport, breakfast included. <BR>In my opinion, forget Botin's for dinner-- Casa Paco is the place to go. <BR>It's about same price as Botin's (or a bit more but not outlandish) but MUCH better meal ("steak"is best way to go). We were told that the King, Juan Carlos eats there on occasion. <BR>Richard

Elaine Feb 27th, 2001 10:40 AM

We had an 8pm dinner at Botin's last year and were the only ones there....that early. By the time we left at 10, there wasn't an empty table. We both had their roast suckling pig they are famous for and we still can't figure out WHY? Try not to be seated on the very top (3rd?) floor. Yes, it has atmosphere, but not nearly as much as the other floors. <BR>Any guide book has the address listed for the Botin which is down the stairs from the Plaza Mayor. That stretch is called the caves because they have been more or less dug out of the foundations of the Plaza Mayor. There are a number of old, narrow specialty food "restaurants" along here. Not fancy but old. One "we" call the mushroom bar and another the mussel bar. Those are the specialties and we fill up everytime and have to cancel dinner plans. You don't have to wait till late to try these places.

top Feb 27th, 2001 03:59 PM

to the top

topper Mar 9th, 2001 12:55 PM

to the top

Anthony Mar 9th, 2001 10:27 PM

If you still need airfare try http://www.foraticket.com/europetravel.htm - have consolidator airfare you can book off the site. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

will Mar 19th, 2001 04:47 PM

Having just returned from Madrid, I second the recommendations for Segovia & Toledo. I also would add to your itinerary, a night out at Casa Patas. They have great flamenco performanceson Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays!