Question on train from Munich to Nuernberg around Christmas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first time in Germany. I am flying in to Munich on the 23rd and planning to go to Nuernberg directly from Munich airport; however, I have no idea about taking which train, it would be great if I could get some advice. Thank you so much.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 02:19 AM

There are RE, RB, and ICE trains that regularly run from Munich to Nuremberg.

Go here: https://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml

And for origin type "Munich Airport" and destination Nuremberg. Then pick the date and time and you're good to go. You'll take a S Bahn train from the Munich airport to the Munich Mainstation (Bahnhof) and catch a train from the main station to Nuremberg. It's pretty straightforward.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 04:53 AM

Hi MsGor,

The cheapest ticket will likely be the Bavaria Ticket, and you can only use regional trains (RE, RB) for those.

Using the site sparkchaser gave you above, click on "Only local transport," and you'll get the result only for trains you can use the Bavaria Ticket on.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 05:43 AM

Taking the ICE implies that you buy either an expensive flexible ticket or an inexpensive Sparpreis ticket bound to a specific train; in the latter case, however, you risk loosing your money if your flight is late. I'd buy a Bayern Ticket (23 E) and take one of the RE's that run on the ICE route (called "Nürnberg Express" locally, travel time 1:45 compared to 1:10 by ICE). The ticket is valid for local transport in Nürnberg, too. You can bring up those trains on the DB website by requesting an intermediate stop of 00:01 at "Kinding". All other direct RE's going through Treuchtlingen (München - Augsburg - Treuchtlingen, München - Ingolstadt - Treuchtlingen) or Regensburg are awfully slow.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 07:47 AM

Sorry to add a bit more confusion to this issue but about half the Dbahn suggested routes involve Bus 635 to Freising and a slower RE train to Nürnberg. This routing takes about the same amount of time as it is a shorter distance to travel. The bus is included in the Bayern Ticket price.

The buses depart from fairly close to the Dbahn ticket machines but are not so well marked as the Sbahn lines. You may have to ask how to find them. We wandered until we found them. Bus 635 conveniently leaves every 20 minutes for Freising. Freising is a small station, easy to find your connection.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 08:05 AM

<i>Question on train from Munich to Nuernberg around Christmas
Posted by: MsGor on Sep 19, 16 at 6:11am
This is my first time in Germany.</i>

This general introduction to trains in Europe may help you get acclimated http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm.

You are arriving at mid point for the two week Oktoberfest celebration. See http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/article...eral+FAQs/751/. This is one of the world's greatest parties. Be prepared for a lot of happy people. But I guess you are going to the wine festival https://tourismus.nuernberg.de/en/er...stadtfest.html. If you are new to German wine here is an intro http://www.enjoy-europe.com/GermanWineLabels.html.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 08:07 AM

Oops, I overlooked your header mentioning Christmas. Oktoberfest and the wine fest is now. Sorry.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 10:16 AM

for lots of great info on German trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

The easiest way from Munich Airport to Nurnberg would be a private driver transfer- negating all the hassle of taking a couple of trains or bus but of course would cost a lot lot more.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:07 PM

Christmas time should have little impact on trains - you can always get on.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:54 PM

If you do the Bavaria Day Pass - restricted to local 'regional' trains then IMO go first class - it costs just a few euros extra p p to do so and regional trains can get mobbed at times like any commuter train- first class IME is nearly always half empty - great for getting seats dependably and room for luggage on an empty seat.

Bavaria Pass would include buses too and city transports for the rest of the day in Nurnberg (like if wanting to visit the Third Reich's largest grouping of relics in one place a short S-Bahn ride south of the city center.)

Not all R trains though have first class though all I've been on have.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:54 PM

If you do the Bavaria Day Pass - restricted to local 'regional' trains then IMO go first class - it costs just a few euros extra p p to do so and regional trains can get mobbed at times like any commuter train- first class IME is nearly always half empty - great for getting seats dependably and room for luggage on an empty seat.

Bavaria Pass would include buses too and city transports for the rest of the day in Nurnberg (like if wanting to visit the Third Reich's largest grouping of relics in one place a short S-Bahn ride south of the city center.)

Not all R trains though have first class though all I've been on have.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the great information, the Bavaria Day Pass sounds interesting. I will need to study a bit more as train system in Europe confuses me.

PalenQ thanks for all the information, guess that gives me another excuse to go to Germany again.
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 08:59 AM

Just so you do not get confused, it is the Bayern Ticket (Bavaria-Ticket) and is most cheaply bought from the ticket machines in the airport.

https://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/offers...a-ticket.shtml