Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice for family with two daughters 11 and 14 visiting Amsterdam and area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a wonderful site this is!

My family of four is travelling to Europe this summer. My daughters are 14 and 11. We live in a small isolated city north of Lake Superior in Canada so this trip, no matter what, will be a real eye opener for them.
We have accommodation in Edam for a week and would like to spend some time exploring that area and of course Amsterdam. I am hoping to use primarily public transportation to get around. I have been reading some of the past posts but would like particular advice about what to do with the girls. Definitely Ann Frank house. I understand that it is best to pre-order tickets? Any idea how far in advance one should do that? What other sights should they see? My husband and I love museums but know that their attention span and tolerance will be limited. If we had to narrow it down to only a couple, which would you recommend? Rijks?
I had also hoped to rent bikes for traveling in and around Edam but after reading some posts am a little nervous about that. Thoughts?
Is it difficult/expensive/advisable to make day trip to Scheveningen from Amsterdam? I was there when I was about 15 and remember that I loved it. Are there other must sees in the area you would recommend?
It's a big topic, I know, so any advice or redirection to other existing posts would be appreciated.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 12:05 AM

Sorry I have to ask why are you nervous of riding a bike in The Netherlands?
It is easy in fact it is one of the best (if not the best) counties in Europe to ride bikes.
Anyway first port of call is the VV (tourist information website) for Edam.
http://www.vvv-edam.nl/index.php?pagina=&type=
The trouble is the English section goes back to Dutch. So maybe use Google to try and over come the problems.
Scheveningen is easy to get to from Amsterdam. But seeing that you are staying Edam it could be a bit more tricky to do in a day.
What time of year are you going? Have you asked your girls what they would like to do?
Have you thought about visiting Volendam too?
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:07 AM

Riding bike around Edam will be no problem.

When you get to Edam find the VVV (tourist information) office and ask them if they have things like bus timetables available plus of course leaflets on what to do in the area.
Does you accommodation have internet? If it does and you can access it then you can look up bus and train times on the net. Otherwise look them up before leaving home so you have a rough idea of how to get to different places.
Use http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/. But again leave it until nearer your time of travel so you have access to up to date timetables.
Volendam is on your doorstep so a logical if touristy place to visit, as is Marken. Zaanse Schans is close too.
You amy enjoy Alkmaar or the Zuiderzee museum in Enkhuizen too. Both are a bit less than 2 hours away by public transport

Yes do book your tickets for the Anne Frankhuis in advance. You do not need to book them yet though.
I would suggest the van Gogh museum may appeal more than the Rijks to your girls. You could combine the two in one trip to Amsterdam if you wanted to, which gives more time for exploring elsewhere.

There are several bus lines which run between Edam and Amsterdam, but it is a log trip - 45 minutes or so.
Scheveningen is a two hour trip by bus, train and tram from Edam.

Give your girls a guide book to look at or show them some websites so they can get an idea of what they would like to see.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:12 AM

Canal boat trip would go down well - you can pick them up near the train station.

I'd think twice about taking an 11 year old to Anne Frank's house. I took my 13 year old and wished I hadn't - he found it extremely upsetting and ended up in tears in the attached museum (along with most of the adults there as well) and not having studied anything about the Holocaust at that stage, was totally unprepared for it. It was the photos of the skeletal people and piles of bodies in the concentration camps that did for him. Too much of a shock. Important knowledge, but not the right way for him to discover it. I just hadn't thought it through properly before taking him in. If you take them, make sure they have some background knowledge and know what to expect.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:32 AM

Good point nona1.
Our boys all went at about 10-11, but they had a Dutch education which maybe includes such things much earlier than other countries do.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:41 AM

Dunno if any info has since changed, but last August more than half the Rijksmuseum was closed for something and I was told that labor plans are in place for at least the next year or 2....don't take my word for it, and there were still beautiful displays, but you can always return to it when it's complete.

Maastricht is a pretty town I really like and is fun to eat in, and Haarlem is really close to Amsterdam and thus super convenient as a daytrip.....And it's got some of the coolest 2ndhand stores too....Hope that helps.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:51 AM

The Rijksmuseum is still partially closed, but seeing only the highlights might be a good plan for children in any case. And good advice for the Anne Frank museum, make sure your boys know what it's all about, then decide whether they are old enough to cope with the emotion that everyone feels there.

When I was last in Amsterdam, there were groups on Segway scooters, it looked like fun.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 03:20 AM

In my Connecticut town, Anne Frank, is read by most 11 year olds in school. I hardily recommend that your children read it before this trip. If your children are particularly sensitive, you might visit the Corrie Ten Boom house in Haarlem. http://www.amadeus-hotel.com/GB/tenboom.htm The story is similar but I don't remember any frightening visuals.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips and I will happily read more! My girls have read Ann Frank's diary and as a grade 6 teacher here, I have a lot of material on WW2 which the girls have also read although I appreciate the link to the Corrie Ten Boom house and will definitely consider the warnings.
My worry about biking in NL stems from a trip report by DeborahAnn back in October. (I loved reading about her boot quest, though!)
I will definitely go to the VVV upon arrival in Edam. Are there any other sights in Amsterdam that are must sees? I would like to go to Oude Kerk. Is it directly in the red light district?
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:48 AM

About the Anne Frank house. I think it is more for the 14 year old. Also I think this visit needs preparation. There is not much to see in the house. It is mostly feeling the energy/vibe and recalling parts from the book. Also after the book is read it needs time to settle, to digest.

I also read that the Rijksmuseum is under renovation so you can only see the Masterpieces, which I think is enough for you’re the ages of your daughters. Except for the dool houses which I always love.
Van Gogh museum is lighter and Rembrandt house is interesting. As someone who was taken to very many of Europe's museums by her parents, I suggest you plan "lighter" activities between museums, like a picnic in nearby Vondelpark or a canal tour after a few hours in a museum.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:55 AM

Yes the Oude kerk is in the RLD, but you shouldn't have too much of a problem - lots of tourists go there. If you follow the route given on www.oudekerk.nl/ you will avoid the bulk of the RLD.
Part of the Oude kerk is currently closed for restoration. i don't know how long it will remain so.
The Rijks only has a very small amount of it's treasures on display - it is taking for ever to do the work on it.
You may enjoy the Begijnhof http://tinyurl.com/y9doq2v and the Amsterdams Historisch Museum http://en.ahm.nl/ which is housed in the old Orphanage. Even if you don't go into the museum itself the courtyard and Schutters gallery are worth a look.

If you go to Scheveningen you could consider Madurodam, and if you have the time do look around Den Haag too - the parliament buildings are worth viewing. the Ridderzaal dates from the 13th century. Nearby is the Mauritshuis museum, and also worth a visit is the Panorama Mesdag www.panorama-mesdag.com.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:25 AM

I took my 10 and 12 year old to Anne Frank Huis last summer. They had both read the journal (the 10 year old read an abbreviated form bought through Scholastic). They knew what to expect, and while sombre, neither one found the experience traumatic. I would suggest that you brief them, and go. The Canadian school system (at least on the Quebec side) does almost nothing on European history, or any small part Canada may have played in it.

The other things my kids really enjoyed in Amsterdam were (in no order):

Van Gogh museum (send a video email home from the museum)
St. Nicholaas boat tour
Rijksmuseum (there is a kids museum guide for 1 euro)
Electric Ladyland http://www.electric-lady-land.com/ (really had fun here, and not too far from Anne Frank Huis)

We also stopped at the Bloemenmarkt, the beautiful Central Library, saw diamonds being cut, Vondelpark and wandered through the various neighbourhoods. We did take a walking tour of Amsterdam, which went through the red light district, but it was day time, and there was nothing horrifying. You walk by the "cafés", but don't go in if you don't want to (we didn't).

You do have to watch out for the bikes. These are not people out on a leisurely ride, they are on their way to work etc. They have the same mentality as a car driver, so stay out of their way!
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; While this town may take an hour or so to reach by bus, I think the girls may enjoy a fairy tale castle, about 10 miles south of Amsterdam. Richard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/muiden
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM

Don't miss Zaanshe- schaan- Dutch Folk village with wind mills, traditional village with art and craft.
We loved it the most. Spend a day there.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM

Well you seem to have enough suggestions to fill all of your week! I hope you decide to spend at least one day just enjoying Edam and cycling through the countryside there.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone. We definitely will cycle around Edam area, hetismij! Season's greetings to everyone from snowy Canada. If anyone ever wants to travel to the Canadian wilderness....
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 12:38 PM

And the Season's greetings from snowy Holland to you too .
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM

On the museums, it may help to prepare your kids in advance, make sure they know a little about the artists whose works they will see, and the works themselves.

My kids, who are 14 and 11 right now, have both enjoyed their time in art museums. My daughter, in fact, amazed us with how much she wanted to see in the way of art on her first trip to Italy this fall. She was familiar with some of pieces, and I'd told her a lot about the history of the time period. We had also played around on the museum websites, so she had ideas ahead of time on what pieces interested her. I think it's the Rijksmuseum that has a fantastic website, which allows you to zoom in on various portions of paintings in their collection, and has little popup boxes that explain different aspects of the paintings.

We've found that the Rick Steves guidebooks have a good amount of museum detail for kids - it provides history, some humor, and interesting facts. (Unfortunately, I haven't been to Amsterdam yet, but have used his books with our kids in museums throughout Italy, and in Paris and Barcelona.)
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's a great idea to direct the kids to the museum websites. I have used symphony orchestra websites before visiting to peak their interests. I am hoping for some guide books under the Christmas tree this week!
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 01:10 AM

I am pleased to read you are going to get on your bikes. it really is a great way to explore. Taking a ride along the dykes etc.
The rules of the road are in favour for cyclist rather than the motorists.
here are few linkls which may help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_the_Netherlands
http://www.holland.com/uk/discoverho...ling/rules.jsp
http://holland.cyclingaroundtheworld.nl/

The best wishes of the season from Galicia, Spain (I used to live in The Netherlands)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -