Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice for Amstredam Hotels- any price (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-for-amstredam-hotels-any-price-246059/)

CDS Aug 5th, 2002 04:41 AM

Advice for Amstredam Hotels- any price

I need advice for a hotel in Amstredam. I have never been there and have not even begun research yet, but will be there this fall and want to stay in nice place in the middle of all the action. Price is not a major deciding factor. I would like to stay walking distance to different things and be in a good central location. I am going with one friend and we are in our late 20's. Any suggestions are much appreciated.<BR>

Sasha Aug 5th, 2002 05:06 AM

ALthough Dam Square is where "the action" seems to be and is recommended by books as a great central location I didn't like it at all. Much too frantic and touristy and a bit seedy also. Amsterdam is very compact and you can easily walk to anywhere in the city. I stayed at the Washington Hotel (see Fodors reviews) in the Museumplein area which was a nice neighbourhood. 10m walk to Leidesplein, say about 25m to Dam Sq.

j Aug 5th, 2002 06:14 AM

check out the post "Best hotel in Amsterdam?". The Princenhof is a good bet.

jen Aug 5th, 2002 06:15 AM

Sorry, I meant "Good hotel in Amsterdam?"

Wayne Aug 5th, 2002 06:24 AM

I have thoroughly enjoyed staying at the American Hotel in Amsterdam, located on the Leidseplein (a square), which is a very convenient area and within easy walk to all the common sights. If you can get hold of a map of the city, you can find the Leidseplein on most maps and will be able to see for yourself where it is located. And though the name makes it sound as if only Americans might be staying there, it's a truly international clientele. Price isn't bad, either. It's a four star, though.

Andre Aug 5th, 2002 06:26 AM

CDS,<BR><BR>A good choice would probably be the the Crowne Plaza American Hotel, right in the thick of things on Leidseplein. Fun historic building, which I think was just renovated.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Andre Aug 5th, 2002 06:27 AM

Wayne, you beat me to it :)

dcp Aug 5th, 2002 06:47 PM

Based on everything I've read here and on a few other sites, I booked a room at the Brouwer Hotel. I know it's a pretty generic row hotel overlooking a canal, but a single is only costing me roughly $45 Euros a night.

don Aug 5th, 2002 07:05 PM

Sasha (or anyone) read about Washington on Fodor site, but can't find a website or information about booking the hotel. Any help?

Elizabeth Aug 14th, 2002 02:02 PM

Yes I would not want to stay near the Dam Square. I did once, for a few days, in a very expensive fancy place, and still it was not pleasant.<BR><BR> I'd look for hotels on major canals--Prinsengracht, Singel, etc. I like the Ambassade very much. It's middle price.

Elizabeth Aug 14th, 2002 02:03 PM

Actually: the Tulip Inn on or near the Spui would be in the right kind of place for you. I think it's pretty Dutch but it's also comfortable with elevators and new bathrooms.

Leidseplein Aug 14th, 2002 02:53 PM

www.amsterdamhotspots.nl is a great site with hotels all prices that I used for my 1st time this past June.<BR><BR>I much preferred the Leidseplein to what I saw around train station, the Dam, red light district (gray, gray, massive, stone, kinda dirty was my impression).<BR><BR>Leidseplein has tons of nightlife, restaurants, coffeeshops, etc. but very pretty too. Also around any of the central canals. Amsterdam is not that large and most things would be within a 1/2 hr. walk or quick tram ride.<BR><BR>The Jordaan and Vondelpark areas are nice and still fairly central but didn't seem to have as much 'happening'.

xx Aug 14th, 2002 03:45 PM

Go here, and check out the 'reviews with ratings'. It's also a good site for A-dam.<BR><BR>http://channels.nl/<BR><BR>

steve Aug 20th, 2002 06:30 AM

We are going to Amsterdam 9/13 for 3 nights. I am told there is a major convention and hotel rooms are not available. Any suggestions?

amy Aug 20th, 2002 07:06 AM

I stayed at the Golden Tulip Barbizon palace and its a really good hotel and very very central.I really recommend this.

lucky Aug 20th, 2002 07:29 AM

Stayed at Hotel de l' Europe a few months ago. Great location. Great hotel. $$$$$

Rob Aug 20th, 2002 07:31 AM

3 years ago I stayed at the Ambassade- a three star hotel that felt luxurious. If you splurge for the better rooms they are large and facing a canal.The breakfast was great and the public rooms very nice with antique furnishings and crystal chandeliers. I understand many authors stay there when in Amsterdam. Worth looking into. I don't know what kind of action you are looking for but it was near many restaurants.

steve Aug 20th, 2002 08:12 AM

thanks for the info. <BR><BR>Its my understand that the hotels have no availablitity due to this major convention. I will look on the internet and see if I can find a room for 3 nights.

judy Aug 20th, 2002 05:24 PM

Try this web site for hotels in Amsterdam:<BR><BR>Hotels.nl<BR><BR>used them several times this past summer when we lived in Germany. They have good selection of hotels in Amsterdam and decent prices. They also offer hotels near Amsterdam, too, so if there is a convention in town it might be better to stay in a close-in suburb with train service into the city...<BR><BR>Judy back from Germany

Karen Aug 21st, 2002 05:47 AM

Everyone has their way of traveling. My husband and I just returned from Amsterdam. We rode the Thaly's (bullet train and very nice) from Paris and got off at Central Station. Inside, we found a travel agent who booked us a hotel for $40/night better than the hotel fee. Be careful though, they'd prefer to use a cash advance on your credit card (for which you'll pay dearly later).