Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice for a trip to Madrid, Seville, & Costa del Sol (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-for-a-trip-to-madrid-seville-and-costa-del-sol-466713/)

pnb Aug 12th, 2004 04:14 PM

Advice for a trip to Madrid, Seville, & Costa del Sol

Hello All,
Although I have read quite a few messages on the boards, this is my first posting. I was hoping that someone could provide me with some tips regarding a trip to Madrid, Seville, and Costa del Sol.

We are planning in staying in each of the three locations for 4 days. Will this be enough time? Also, we were thinking of taking the AVE train from Madrid to Seville, is this the best way? Any pros/cons? We haven't looked into how to get from Seville to Costa del Sol so any ideas would be great (we are in the beginning stages of planning)

I'd really appreciate any info at all, re: food, hotels, sites to see.

Thanks!

Chatters Aug 12th, 2004 05:10 PM

Important input: when are you going? does "we" include children? seniors? active lifestyle? budget for hotels? likes/dislikes when it comes to sightseeing? are you willing to rent a car, even if for only a portion of the trip?

I would say that four days in Madrid are a good idea if you include day trips to Toledo, Segovia, and Avila. That's two days, and two days left for museums and sights in Madrid.

Good idea taking the high-speed train Madrid-Seville.

Three days in Seville should be plenty; four if you include a day trip to Cordova and another to Merida.

I would recommend renting a car once you are ready to head out to Costa del Sol from Seville. In Costa del Sol, recommend you stay either in Marbella or Puerto Banus, so that you can day trip to Ronda (stop on your way Seville-CdS), Granada, and ride around the Route of the White Towns.

pnb Aug 12th, 2004 05:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Regarding my message:

"we" are a married couple in our 20's and we'll be traveling to Spain the last 2 weeks of September.

Thanks especially for the Costa del Sol info as I don't know much about it yet. Not sure about driving in Europe, I do drive but not sure how I feel about doing it in a foreign country. How have others found driving in Spain to be?

Chatters Aug 12th, 2004 05:27 PM

Driving in Southern Spain is pretty much like driving in Northern California. Roads are in great conditions, drivers are not particularly crazy (unlike neighboring Portugal!), spectacular ocean vistas, hill towns, get a copy of the corresponding Michelin map and you are set to go.

Last two weeks of Sept is a great time to go to Madrid & Andalucia (Southern Spain).

NEDSIRELAND Aug 13th, 2004 02:02 AM

If you take AVE Madrid-Sevilla you may want to pick up a rental car there at Sevilla's Santa Justa station and head over to the Costa del Sol.

I think it is in even-numbered years Sevilla hosts a Bienial de Flamenco - that should be a special treat. Your hotel should have schedules & venues.

TopMan Aug 13th, 2004 02:23 AM

Re the proposed four days in Madrid: while I agree that Madrid is a great base for day trips to places like Toledo, Avila, etc., depending on your interests you could EASILY spend a couple of days, if not more, IN Madrid itself and have PLENTY to see and do without even thinking of leaving town.

The so-called "Museum Mile" alone can commandeer considerable time and energy if you are into that sort of thing.

There is always a temptation to cram in as much as possible but I'd be reasonable about what you can do and how much "depth" you are interested in.

The trip Madrid-Seville; AVE high speed in 2 1/2 hours; you could certainly fly on from MAD to SVQ and you might check on how much additional that would add to your air fare and then compare that with the time and money spent transferring from the airport to the rail station, etc.

I'm a BIg fan of rail travel in Europe, especially on high-speed links, but in this case I'd carefully consider alternatives.

Have a great trip.

tskobo Aug 13th, 2004 04:41 AM

I spent four days in Madrid last September and took two day trips to Toledo and Segovia. I think four days is fine, especially if the two of you wake up at a decent hour and are walkers like me (remember, you'll have four full nights in Madrid as well). I was also in Seville for four days. I agree with Chatters in that three days was plenty for Seville. Definately use your fourth for a day trip or add it on to either Madrid or Costa del Sol.

It seems to me like it will be a really nice trip...not too hectic and lots of fun!