Reload this Page >

Advice For a Single Lady Traveling Alone to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 1998, 07:51 PM
Debbie

I need help, fellow Italy travelers!! I took a tour of Rome, Florence & Venice with friends 2 years ago and would now like to return to Italy - alone. I am a single lady, so I am concerned with traveling alone. Does anyone have any advice? I'm thinking of traveling in early October, will not be renting a car and cannot exceed $100 per night. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks!!

Old Jun 3rd, 1998, 11:17 PM
joelle

I travelled alone in all of the mentioned towns and never experienced any problem. The crowds are so huge that a single person just gets unoticed! Regarding possible pickpockets, I know it happens but they didn't come my way. A usual behaviour will just be fine. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 05:42 PM
Deb

Hi Debbie...I did it for a week last year and visited Venice & Florence by myself. I had no problems. You will be ahead of the game because you have already been there and are not totally "green." Regarding pickpockets...I had no problems but then I was very diligent about my money belt and wearing no flashy jewelry. It did seem to me, however, that more people were approached (and I met several who did have some problems) in Rome. Just keep your head up and act like you know where you are going. Have a great time.

Old Jun 6th, 1998, 08:35 AM
hamlet

I also did a trip to Italy for 2 weeks solo. It was the best trip I ever had. As everyone else says just be cautious as usual. But when it comes to pickpockets I think men are just as likely to be targets. As for men on the prowl - be careful here too, but sometimes it is innocent and sincere, the approach is just different and very un-American. E-mail me if you have other questions. Buona fortuna!

Old Jun 6th, 1998, 06:05 PM
Rachel Ratliff

In my experience, northern Italy is easier for single women than Southern Italy in terms of harassment. I am blond/blue eyed, and experienced no problems in Milan or in the Lake Como region. Rome is a different story. My advice - look straight ahead and move on - unfortunate but necessary.