Reload this Page >

Advice for a short (surprise) trip?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Katie

I am trying to plan a surprise trip for my husband's birthday next spring, and would like to go some time in March or April, for 3-4-5 days. I would like to keep airfare and hotel for 2 under $1000. (We would be flying out of Detroit or Chicago) Any advice? I have been looking at London, Dublin, and Rome, but can't find any deals (I heard about the Aer Lingus $99 each way, but try as I might, could never actually find availability at that price.) Any advice is appreciated!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:36 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>For your budget for air and hotel I think London is your best bet, although I can't comment on Dublin since I've never investigated it for a trip.<BR>For the past several winters there have been very good deals to London which usually expire some time in March.<BR>You can look at londontown.com, expedia, British Air, Virgin Atlantic, etc for air, hotel, and packages that combine the two.<BR>Last Feb I took a 4 day trip to London (not counting travel days, and I'd been before) and other than wishing it was longer, I had a great time. <BR><BR>I found a great web hotel rate at Londontown, but then contacted the same hotel directly and they matched the price.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Sue

I think it would be very hard to keep airfare and hotel for 2 under $1000 total, if I understand you correctly. A package deal that includes both might be your best bet; your local newspaper travel section would probably have some of these deals advertised. You could bid on Priceline or Hotwire, also. Good luck! Perhaps someone else on here will have more specific help. <BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:47 AM
gg

American airlines vacations has a special to UK now called Just Go. It has some 3 day packages at $299. It looked good. I actually checked out some dates on the website. It has several hotels. Thistle is cheapest. However, do not pick the cheapest Thistle Euston as people say it is not a very good location. I think they had some pretty cheap rates from Chicago, the cheapest were of course from New York. Check it out. It is the best I have found for 3 or 4 days. I was looking in late Feb. for my anniversary.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Thyra

I agree that you should look into a package deal. The only thing I can think of that you might want to take into consideration. If travelling to Dublin in March, watch out for St. Patrick's day, prices go up considerably. Have fun.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 01:56 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Find Sceptre Tours for the best deals to Ireland--but bring a raincoat.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 02:36 PM
silvana

london.<BR>that's the only way you're going to stay under your budget. i disagree with those who say it can't be done. it can, but it will take you a bit af research. go to bestfares.com. right now they have a deal to london for $168 plus tax (60-100 bucks). i think you have to be a member (not sure about this though), but it's only $60 per person. that still take you up to like $350 per person. cheap!<BR>i don't think you'll find airfare much cheaper than that for europe.<BR>then you have $300 for hotel for 3-5 nights and that should be easy if you're not super picky.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 02:41 PM
silvana

my bad.<BR>the $168 fare is only for thanksgiving.<BR>there is a fare available to london through march 31 '03 for $289 each RT (plus taxes of course.. which i now hear are $60-$80.<BR>if you buy the bestfares memberships now, then it won't even seem like the expense is a part of your trip. plus, if you travel AT ALL, it is a good investment as their fares are very cheap.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 07:10 AM
kerry

Hello Katie, Why not try go-today.com? I've used them 5 times so far. Excellent deals in my opinion, although I fly from NYC.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Rex

I don't think it can be done for $1000 either; taxes now are indeed about $80 per person - - not a percentage of the price you pay (On go-today.com they actually state the tax charge to be $99 per person). So $1000 actually means $840. While you might find airfare that low, I can't imagine what kind of hotels you can get thrown in at that price. Especially not from Chicago or Detroit. The $289 London special has a $140 surcharge fom Chicago or Detroit, so with taxes that comes to $528.<BR><BR>Don't mean to discourage you from continuing to look, but I think that with a budget constraint like that, a getaway that can be better enjoyed - - in THIS hemisphere - - would be better than the absolute bottom of the barrel, cheapest possible Europe whirlwind &quot;experience&quot;.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>