Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   advice for 1st time London traveler (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-for-1st-time-london-traveler-442034/)

smroan Jun 13th, 2004 11:40 AM

advice for 1st time London traveler

I am heading to London in two days and have read about 8 guide books and researched this message center, as well as asked for specific advice.

One thread I read this a.m. was posted a few years, and someone asked for advice for a first time traveler. Would anyone out there care to update the info with personal observations.

Please feel free to include the obvious, as I find as I get nearer my trip I seemed to get less dumber about common sense solutions....I think it is the excitement.

I will be in London for 8 nights.

Marilyn Jun 13th, 2004 11:50 AM

Be really careful crossing the street and try to remember to LOOK RIGHT, not left, for the oncoming traffic.

kr Jun 13th, 2004 01:28 PM

A bowl of won ton soup is 7 us dollars. Try to pick up sandwiches at a Marks and Spencer for lunch if your watching the dollars.

mgmargate Jun 13th, 2004 01:43 PM

Marilyn is not kidding,street crossing can be dangerous,and in many cases is safely done underground.

kr Jun 13th, 2004 01:55 PM

Learn arabic.Or whatever they speak in India and Pakistan.

Kayb95 Jun 13th, 2004 02:21 PM

Take comfortable walking shoes, a change purse and a wash cloth. Be careful crossing the street - especially at corners.

Step out of the flow of traffic if you need to get your bearings or look at a map and don't stop at the top/bottom of escalators, turnstiles and revolving doors.

Don't be afraid to ride the buses - you'll see a lot more of London than you will on the tube.

Try a Double Magnum ice cream bar and have a wonderful trip!!! :)

janis Jun 13th, 2004 02:44 PM

Stand on the Right!

On the loooong escalators in the tube stations ALWAYS stand to the right - because the left side is reserved for those climbing (or more often running) up or down. This is not to be taken lightly - There is a very clear sign every few feet along the escalator reminding you to Stand on the right - but there will be the oblivious tourists standing in the way of people trying to make time . . . . . .

obxgirl Jun 13th, 2004 02:46 PM

Allow time in your plans for errors and serindipity. Ignore people like kr. Keep your mind and eyes open. Have a fantastic trip!

zeppo2 Jun 13th, 2004 03:27 PM

Go on one (or more) of the Original London Walks. For five pounds they can't be beat, and you get to see things you probably wouldn't have found in a guidebook. I always force myself to go on one of the evening pub walks the first night I fly into London. It keeps me moving that first day, and then I'm really ready to sleep by about 10.

Scarlett Jun 13th, 2004 03:31 PM

Has anyone mentioned to Mind The Gap?
Have a real high tea.
Ride on top of a double decker bus.
Go to the Tate Museum and see the Turners if nothing else.
See the Wallace Collection.
Ask for a "toilet" not a bathroom.
Have a cheese and pickle sandwich in a pub.
See a play.
Go to a concert at St Martin in the Fields.
Have a wonderful time!!

rj007 Jun 13th, 2004 03:33 PM

Go on a walk with Original London Walks. They are great introductions to London, are reasonably priced and they are a great thing to do the first day after the long flight. They cover a vast array of subjects from Ancient London to Shakespeare to Dickens to the Beatles. The pub walks are a lot of fun. The Explorer Days they run are great day trips. I have done nearly 4 dozen walks with them and I have enjoyed every one.

vcl Jun 13th, 2004 05:09 PM

Take a hop on/hop off bus tour. Walk through the parks. Remember that the reason things become tourist attractions is that they are worth seeing.

Have a wonderful time.

Elainee Jun 13th, 2004 05:14 PM

I second going on an outside London Explorer Day with Original London Walks.
Also...Kew Gardens is lovely and you can go by tube. Worth the time.

Lee4 Jun 13th, 2004 06:26 PM

Buy the Tube pass (can't remember what it's called right now) that lets you travel by tube and bus for up to 7 days. Be sure to get it for at least zones 1 and 2, but if you plan to go to Hampton Court Palace, you can get the pass to go through zone 6. Take advantage of the double decker buses for sightseeing (sit on top, of course!). They are also nice when it's hot and the tube is cramped, crowded, stinky, hot, etc. Buses can get this way too, but if you get a seat on top, you'll be doing well.

Wear comfortable shoes!

Try to get out of the city at least once by going to Hampton Court Palace or Windsor. They are both only about 30 minutes by train and are beautiful. It's nice to get away from all the hustle and bustle of London for a bit. Either one would be an excellent day trip.

Walk up to the top of Primrose Hill for great views of London.

jamikins Jun 13th, 2004 06:32 PM

Dont miss the Tower of London.

Walk along the Thames at sunset.

Do a London Walk.

Have a pint in an English pub.

Get cheap theatre tickets at the TKTS booth in Leister Square (make sure it is the TKTS booth not an imposter!).

Go to the Harrods food counters and buy a picnic then eat in Hyde Park.

Have a currie on Brick Lane.

Have a wonderful time!

allanc Jun 13th, 2004 06:42 PM

Take a boat ride down the Thames to Greenich. Attend evensong at St. Pauls. Take a canal boat ride. Stay in town on a weeknight, visit the Leister Sq. half price ticket booth, and see a play...any play. Start with a hop on hop off bus tour. Visit the British Museum twice-for four or five hours at a time (start with the Egypt collection). Walk, walk, walk. Visit the Cabinet Rooms if you are a WW2 buff. Pass on high tea at one of the expensive hotels...just a waste of time. Take a side trip to Bath, then rent a car in the afternoon and tour around the countryside-home by train late evening after dinner in Bath. Consider a one day trip to Paris by chunnel train (and don't forget the 1 hr time change). Finally, buy a smoked salmon on a bun sandwich at Harrods take out..wonderful Scottish Salmon and very reasonable. Finally, don't buy any of those duty free British goods at Harrods-they are all cheaper in NA. Finally, just have fun and do not overplan your days. London is wonderful-have a great time. And yes...mind the gap and always look both ways! Spend some time in Westminster Abby reading the inscriptions on the statues-fascinating.

Cinart Jun 13th, 2004 06:46 PM

Have some Indian food.

passantd Jun 13th, 2004 07:01 PM

1. be careful crossing the street.

2. eat indian and thai food...it was very good.

3. Breakfast is hearattack on a plate....grease city!

4. bring an umbrella

5. wear good walking shoes

6. take the tube from the airport. It is expensive to take a cab/taxi.

7. everything is expensive. Remember that 5 pounds is almost 10 US dollars.

8. street signs tend to be on buildings and about 30 feet up...so if you can't find a street sign look up.

9. bring a jacket. it can be quite cold in London....even in the summer.

10. try some of the english dessert -- for example trinkle pudding (not sure if that is spelled right).

11. Do not eat italian food!

Kayb95 Jun 13th, 2004 07:02 PM

Walk along the Thames and across Westminster Bridge after dark - the best sight in London!

Tower Bridge is also spectacular at night. If you happen to be going to Ceremony of the Keys, walk down to the Thames afterward for a view of the bridge.

skatterfly Jun 13th, 2004 07:10 PM

Am headed there myself this September and was just looking for a post like this. Great tips. Thank you.
~k