Parking Car in Amsterdam - Need Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be picking up a new Volvo in Sweden in May and then driving it to Amsterdam where I will drop it off at a Volvo business partner for shipping to the U.S. We are boarding a cruise in Amsterdam. My problem is that I will be arriving in Amsterdam on a Sunday but I can't drop the car off until Monday. I want to find a safe place to park it overnight. I have been told about the Park & Rides outside of Amsterdam but I don't know how secure they are. I have also looked into garages in the city. One of them, the P1 Parking Amsterdam Centre, appears to be covered parking and you can make a reservation. I do realize I will have to pay but that is fine if the garage is secure. I know there are other covered garages (Q Parking?) but I don't know if you can reserve a parking spot at other garages. Does anyone have any knowledge about or experience with these parking options (or others) in Amsterdam?

I might be able to drop the car in Bremerhaven or Hamburg and take a train into Amsterdam as another option. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:08 PM

If you can avoid it do not drive in Amsterdam. And you will need a secure parking place, mostly to avoid vandalism. Or it could be stolen and on the market out east the next day. A train from Germany would be a good idea.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 12:46 AM

On the (very) odd occasion we drive into Amsterdam we book a parking space in a garage near Paradiso, www.parkingdehoofdstad.nl. It is valet parking, under cover and there is always someone there.

QPark is just a company that operates car parks. I don't think you can reserve a spot there.

Another option may be to park it at Schiphol. You can book a parking place there, either in one of the car parks by the terminal or at the long term parking.

Alternatively book a hotel a bit out of the centre of Amsterdam (near the WTC for instance)and park it by your hotel.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the parking garage information. It is just what I needed.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 10:26 AM

park at a hotel you will be staying at. find a hotel outside of the city to avoid driving in a large, unfamiliar place.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 11:20 AM

There is not much difference in parking in Amsterdam than in Hamburg or San Francisco or London.
Your hotel in A'dam should be able to give you a hint where you can park your car in the vicinity.
Or get a hotel which has its own parking garage.
Staying on the perimeters of Amsterdam in a hotel is a good idea, if the hotel is close to a train or metro station or tram stop.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 11:30 AM

Park at your hotel if possible, it will be easier to get to in the morning.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Look at the Moevenpick Hotel:

"Car park
There is a large secured car park underneath the hotel. The car park is operated by local authorities and is charged EUR 4,29 per hour (prices may vary). Hotel guests will receive a 15% discount. The discount only applies when the parking ticket has been scanned and paid at the reception of the hotel. It is also possible to park your car at the P+R Zeeburg parking at the other side of the Piet Hein tunnel. Please download our alternative parking facilities factsheet for more information."

The hotel is also right at the cruise dock. We stayed there in 2007 and enjoyed our stay immensely.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice!
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:56 AM

Hey,

The simplest solution is to book online in advance. In that way you get access to secure parking locations at the lowest price. They offer secure parking from companies and hotels that is normally unavailable to drivers. You can find parking here: http://bit.ly/1ov7GFF