Advice appreciated: train travel, airport cars, pasta twirling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again - big thanks go out to the community for the posts that have so very helpful in planning this trip. Through the good advice of y'all we found the Tourist House Ghiberti in Florence - and special thanks to bobthenavigator for his list of his fave places in Tuscany, from which we eventually settled on:

http://www.letraverse.it/

So, here's the few questions I have remaining:

1) Do we need advance train tickets? If so, book from here now, or can we get our hotel to help us when in Italia?
We have two train trips in mind - one from Rome to Orvieto, where we will rent a car, and then another a week later from Florence to Milan. I tried to look into the schedule of trains on the trenitlaia.com web site, but the scheduling function was broken.
For a trip as short as Rome to Orvieto, should we just go to the train station and buy a ticket there?

2) When we arrive in Orvieto, we'd like to tour the town. Will there be lockers at the train station in which we can store our luggage? I have a feeling that in this post 9-11 world the answer is 'no.'

3) We will be on a red-eye flight from the U.S. and will arrive in Rome dead tired. I was thinking that it might be better to have a car waiting for us when we get there. I generally take taxis in such situations, but think I might be too fried to function at that point. I followed a few threads on this subject here on the boards, but wonder if I shouldn't just ask my hotel in Rome to take care of it. Comments?

4) Pasta twirling: spoon acceptable? Discuss.

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM

If the hotel sets up your ride they will add on commission most likely. There have been many recommendations here on companies who will pick you up at FCO.

Do you want to twirl with a spoon? You can or you don't have to, no one cares. Just don't slurp from your plate.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Hi BC - For a limo transfer from FCO the following regularly get good reviews:

www.limoservicerome.com
www.airportshuttle.it

For train schedules enter tomorrow's date.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 04:06 AM

Hi bugocity

1.) I always buy tickets at train stations directly before the departure. The worst thing that could happen is that the train is full and without a reservation you don't get a seat. My experience is that such a case is very rare as long as you don't travel on "special" days as directly before public hollidays or so. As long as you could stand for an hour in a train until a seat gets free, you might prefer the flexibility to take a train an hour later or earlier to the safety of having a seat (which you will normally get without a reservation, too).

Florence main train station is pretty much in the city center anyway, so you can just walk over a day earlier and get the tickets there.

3.) I think that finding your car will be more difficult than finding the taxi stand.

4.) I think that twirling pasta on a spoon and looking non-Italian is prefrable to looking as if you've taken a shower with pasta sauce, which I do if I try to eat pasta without a spoon.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM
ira

Hi B,

1: Buy your train tickets at the station or a travel agent in Rome.
Rome Orviet: IC trains at 8:55, 10:55, 12:55.... R trains at 9:12 11:12, 13:12....

Buy your tickets to Milan at the same time.

2: A shuttle van will be about 18E pp. A cab will be about 50E.

3. No left luggage in Orvieto.
Rent your car. Put luggage in car. Leave car at rental agency while you visit Orvieto.

I highly recommend lunch in the garden at http://www.isetteconsoli.it/

Fixed price menu is 45E, and worth every penny.

4: No one cares. Learn how to say "May I have a large spoon?" in Italian.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Oct 9th, 2008, 05:10 AM

3. You can reserve a private car and driver for 35 euro. That is what I would do. Driver will pick you up inside the terminal. He will be holding a sign with your names on it.

You will probably pay more if your hotel arranges it. I believe there is a set charge for Rome taxis from airport to central city, I think 45 euro, but someone else will know the exact amount.

This is the service used by many frequent Rome visitors on this board (including me):

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/

I would not bother with a shared shuttle van..they often make many stops and you will be tired. And for two people, the price will be higher than a private car and driver.

Old Oct 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM

1) Do we need advance train tickets? I wouldn't bother. Your can get them at the train station from machines or many travel agents. Broken? It might appear that way if you were trying to check schedules for date more than 60 days in advance. Also try using the Italian names of cities: Roma, Orvieto, Firenze, Milano.

2) 'no.'

3) You have received recommendations for the favorite services here.

4) No pasta twirling for me. I was advised against it by an Italian. You can accomplish the same benefit by twirling into the corner of your plate. Also keep in mind--not all pasta requires twirling If a spoon is the only way for you to remain neat, then use a spoon.

Old Oct 9th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Since all of the Rome to Orvieto trains are regional or IC trains as Ira points out there is no savings in advance in buying tickets online nor no reason to do so - regional trains are dirt-cheap and there are no reserved seats and you rarely will find the train full, esp since the train probably starts in Rome

easiest way is to use the idiot-proof (i could use them) automatic machines in stations - in a few minutes they will spit out your tickets and it's all easily done and in English. Buy a round trip for convenience but not to save money IME

Or you could buy these tickets at Rome Airport's train station ticket windows as well upon arrival.

If you want to buy from a ticket window in Rome Termini then you could have a long long wait.

If Rome Tiburtina station is closer to your hotel then go there as these trains stop there not long after leaving Termini
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Excellent suggestions - thank you. I will investigate these options further when I get home from work.

(and I included the pasta-swirling question just to introduce some comedy into the subject line of this post. I can actually feed myself efficiently. <grin> )
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM

There's only one way to eat pasta in Italy... 1/2 a pitcher of house wine and then face first into the plate... no utensils needed!
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM

About your luggage, and leaving it in a car: If you rent from Avis in Orvieto, your car will be in a public parking lot, so there's no security. I don't know about all the others, but I recall there was at least one other there on the street across from the train station, which has no private parking.

You'd probably be renting through Auto Europe -- they are the brokers for most rental agencies -- so you would have to inquire from them about secure parking.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM

If I may hijack your question #4 -

4. Do you spin Bucatini?
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
1) No (need to buy in advance)
4) No (need to use a spoon)
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM

You can twirl if you want - but locals don;t. If you have trouble with long pasta then why not order another shape that you can just stab with our fork (there's no rule you have to eat spaghetti or linguini when there are dozens of other types).

You can get train tickets on the spot - except for major holidays or overnight trains.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Well, I have booking requested from Rome Shuttle Limosine - thank you! And I'll inquire with Auto Europe (that is indeed my company) and enquire about secure parking === or maybe they'd let me park my luggage in their office.
And I wont' bother about advance train tickets. My thanks to one and all.
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't order spaghetti. Order one of the many other pasta shapes