Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice about Andalucia! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-about-andalucia-182479/)

melissa Mar 26th, 2002 05:33 AM

Advice about Andalucia!

Hello All! I am seeking advice on my summer trip to Spain (first time - SO exited!). First of all, I've been told there is a little more theft than in other parts of Europe. Myth or truth? Secondly, has anyone been to Tarifa, Conil and other towns on the Costa de la Luz? I'd like to avoid the overdevelopment that seems to exist in other parts of Spain, but I MUST get to the beach! Finally, is Granada really that great or can I skip it in favor of smaller towns?<BR>Thanks!<BR>Melissa

Paul Apr 10th, 2002 10:01 AM

Theft has not been a problem in my experience, although we were careful and were always aware of where wallets and such were. I would not leave luugage in plain view inside a car and be careful of fortune tellers approaching you with a sprig of rosemary. You may find yourself relieved of some property.<BR><BR>The Alhambra in Grenada is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the finest example of moorish architecture anywhere in the world. It is a must-see and definitely worth the trip.

Worsley Apr 10th, 2002 10:07 AM

Theft in Andalucia is much less than in Madrid or Barcelona. Granda is the only place with any real worries.<BR><BR>If would avoid Traifa and the area around Gibralter. It's hard to avoid highly developed areas around the beach in Spain. Maybe you should go to the Algarve in Portugal. Anyway Nerja is the best bet in Spain.<BR><BR>Granda has the Alhambra and not much else. It is properly described as being bit more run down and dirtier than the rest of Spain. If it weren't for the Alhambra, it would not be a tourist attraction at all.

lisa Apr 10th, 2002 10:13 AM

Sheesh! Am I the *only* one who liked Granada around here?<BR><BR>I think Granada is a must-see if you are in Andalucia. The Alhambra, the Albacin, the Cathedral (and tombs of Ferdinand & Isabella), the statue of Isabella commissioning Columbus, etc. This town is, in essence, the beginning of Columbus's trip to America.<BR><BR>Granada was our favorite city in our tour of Andalucia. Besides the tourist sites above, we really enjoyed its "city energy" -- the people going to work, the wedding we happened upon, etc. We also really enjoyed the tapas bars -- very authentic. Be sure to sample the ones behind the Plaza Nuevo. You will see 3 generations of Spanish families standing at the bar, enjoying jerez or cerveza or rioja and having tapas. Don't be intimidated by the crowds or the language barrier, just elbow your way to the bar and point. It was the highlight of our trip!

janet Apr 10th, 2002 04:33 PM

Depends on what you prefer. I went to Granada last week but would have preferred to spend more time in Nerja. <BR>I didn't realize how beautiful Nerja was. I loved the Costa del Sol.