Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Adventure in Poland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/adventure-in-poland-303690/)

Kari Apr 4th, 2003 09:43 AM

Adventure in Poland

Hi! My husband and I are going to Central Europe for 2 weeks (Czech Republic,Slovakia,Hungary,Poland). I would like some help with Poland - we will be renting a car and I am wondering about the time it takes to drive - we plan to go from Bratislava to Zakopane to Krakow to Wroclaw (the national park in that area) and on to Prague. We are travelling the end of May - should we make accommadation reservations in advance? We like flexibility too - any suggestions for cheap yet clean places? Also, we like adventure, so any suggestions there are appreciated! Thanks! Kari

joegri Apr 4th, 2003 10:23 AM

Kari: We will be in Poland in the June/July timeframe (my wife is in Education, so, it is when we can go). We will also be driving and because of the summer popularity, we are making most (not all) of our reservations in advance. <BR>With respect to mileage and time, if you go to www.viamichelin.com, you can enter two destinations, e.g., Krakow and Wroclow, Michelin will show the mileage, time to travel (it is much slower in Poland than I would have omagined), recmmended route, shortest route, etc. <BR>Would like to hear about your experience when you return. So, please write a trip report. There isn't much help for Poland outside of the major locations like Krakow, Zakopane, Poznan, Gdansk, etc., on any Board that I have found. Have a great trip

ben_haines_london Apr 4th, 2003 10:51 AM

<BR>I can talk about hotels. In Bratislava I liked the Sporthotel Trnavka, though Lonely Planet East Europe does not. It is a ten minute bus ride to central Bratislava. In Krakow my choices are expensive, the Pollera and the Fortuna Bis, but the list at http://www.inyoiurpocket.com is well-annotated and useful. In Wroclaw I pick the Hotel Monopol, the my and Adolf Hitler?s favourite. <BR><BR>I have never cracked Prague. Again the in Your Pocket site lays out the options. The best I can come up with is the Libra Q Hotel (not the hostel part) but it strikes me as expensive for the Czech Republic. I suppose that s Prague for you. A few months ago I copied these notes from the Thorn Tree, but cannot vouch for them. <BR>Student hostels. On hill above old town. $7.50 per person in double room. <BR>ul. Vanickova 5, Block 2, 160 00 Praha 6, tel. 0042/ 2/ 5271 90. Subway line &quot;A&quot; to the Station Dejvicka, and then take a bus: 217, 149, or 143 to Strahov<BR>A small house in the centre <BR>Ul. Zikova 13, 160 00 Praha 6, tel/fax 0042/ 2/ 243 11 446 ext.110<BR>subway, line A to station Dejvicka and then 2 minutes by foot<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR><BR><BR >

GSteed Apr 14th, 2003 11:21 PM

There are motels along most main roads. All seem to be safe and clean. Stop and inquire or check out. Driving times are slow because many roads are routed through small villages. Speed limits 60KPH or posted less!

rwpawelek Apr 15th, 2003 10:14 AM

Hi Kari - you will have a blast!<BR><BR>Depending on your route from Zakopane to Krakow, you will be slowed up by dump trucks on the 2-lane highway. Ease the frustration by visiting the villages along the way.<BR><BR>You'll have much easier trip from Krakow to Wroclaw. 4-lane motorway most of the way.<BR><BR>You should have no trouble with accomodation near Zakopane. Look for signs that read &quot;zimmer frei&quot; or &quot;pokoje wolny&quot;; both translate as &quot;available rooms&quot;. Most of them are reliably clean and dirt cheap.<BR><BR>In Silesia, you can get by with a rudimentary understanding of German.<BR><BR>Krakow is a masterpiece.<BR><BR>For adventure, between Krakow and Wroclaw is the town of Brzeg. There's a Russian market across the street from the Hotel Piast. The corner store there sells vodka and horsemeat. The city park is full of kids wanting to practice their English. In the evening, you will be treated to a show of thousands of ravens descending upon the city.<BR><BR>Even more adventurous is a sidetrip to the Czech border at the village of Kudowa Zdroj. The small Catholic chapel there is an ossuary. The attending nun is even more frightening.<BR><BR>My wife and I are going to visit Slovakia for the first time in June. Can't wait Enjoy your trip!<BR><BR>Robert <BR><BR>

PeterB Apr 15th, 2003 01:56 PM

Kari - Slovakia is much cheaper then Poland - so I suggest on your drive to Zakopane from Bratislava - to stop overnight on slovakian side near High Tatry - not only the view be great - prices right - but also you will get a good rest. Cross to Zakopane in early morning - where you can spend half of day or bit more and then drive to Krakow for overnight. From Zakopane to Krakow - first 60km maybe very slow - esspecially if there is traffic, since road is narrow with many no passing sections. Also on this Forum in Poland Section search for &quot;Bolkow&quot; or select this link and find my response to Roy on &quot;Info about Poland&quot;.<BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=1294089&amp;numrespon ses=32&amp;start=0&amp;keyword=146&amp;searchText= bolkow<BR>Definitly check &quot;Bledne Skaly&quot; and take a short hike (about 1hr from and of chair lift) on Sniezka in Karpacz... Wroclaw area has a lot of secrets some from many from WW2 ie. Ksiaz castle with underground tunnels that could allow train to go thru...

chrisp Apr 15th, 2003 02:31 PM

While in Poland don't forget to visit the library and see the book. Also, you can get a 7 course meal at most corner groceries for a bit more than the price of a 6 pack of beer. Oops, its a 6 pack and a polish sausgage.... Sorry I couldn't resist the mother of Polish jokes. Have a great trip ! SKI'