Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advance Ticket Purchase Necessary for Eurostar?

Jul 2nd, 1999, 09:06 AM
Sarah

I was planning on taking the Eurostar from Paris to London this month (July). Do I have to purchase a ticket in advance, or can I just show up at the train station on the day I want to leave? Will I run into any problems if I just show up on the arrival date? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Jul 2nd, 1999, 02:03 PM
Robin

Sarah:

All my train travel in Europe (actually, all my Europe jaunts) have been during April/October/November and I didn't have any problems buying a ticket on the day of. Certainly couldn't hurt to buy a few days ahead to make sure that you get a seat, but I suspect that even during the summer it may not be necessary.

Tickets can be purchased online (sorry, don't have the website handy) or if once in Paris, you can either stop in at a travel agency or by the station itself a few days in advance.

Jul 2nd, 1999, 05:42 PM
s.fowler

If you are flexible on the day and time you could wait, but if you know the day you want to leave I would get a ticket in advance. Better safe than sorry.

Jul 2nd, 1999, 07:01 PM
Janice

Dear Sarah,
I just purchased my Eurostar tickets for the same trip (Paris to London on August 2). It was very easy. Everyone told me that the tickets are cheaper when purchased in the US. I am not sure about this because of handling charges etc. but here is the phone number 800-324-RAIL. When asked to choose a service, choose Premier Trains. When you call this number, they will also give you a web sight if you would rather purchase on line. Anyhow, I purchased my ticket over the phone and they arrived 2 days later. Very quick service. Have a great trip!!

Jul 2nd, 1999, 07:10 PM
lynn

Hi Sarah -

Yes, you can wait but the French will nail you on the price.

We could have bought tickets here last year before we went for $99 one way, per person. We figured if that was the going rate we could get the same price there or better. Wrong!

We later found out that going from London to Paris you can often get deals there but Paris to London might cost you double. I say might because I went during September and I don't know about July. When we were there, we went the day before we wanted to leave and the tickets were $198 per person, one-way.

Ouch!!!!!

It cost us $400US to get to London one-way. Next time, I'll buy over here just to be safe.

My advice, if you can find something for around $100 each way, per person, go for it.

Jul 5th, 1999, 01:12 AM
Vincent

The main reason for booking ahead is price : currently, the return fares Paris to London via Eurostar range from 495 FF (if you spend a week-end) to 2300 FF - back and forth in the same day (I know, I've experienced them both recently ! ). So, when you get in Paris, go to any station and make your reservation ASAP. To my own dismay, I found out there is no website that allows Eurostar reservation starting from Paris : www.eurostar.com only gives you fares from the British side that are, FYI, 15 to 20 % more expensive than starting Gare du Nord (due to our Third World status ! ). At least, this site gives you accurate schedules. But, whatever you do, riding the train is cheaper, smoother and faster than flying.