Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Adults with Kids 14,12, and 10 what todo? What regions to visit in 7 days? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/adults-with-kids-14-12-and-10-what-todo-what-regions-to-visit-in-7-days-346241/)

kendu Aug 9th, 2003 03:54 AM

Adults with Kids 14,12, and 10 what todo? What regions to visit in 7 days?

Hi Fodorites,
My wife, myself, and three kids: 14,12, and 10 are going to Italy for the first time. We are looking for modest accomodations, preferably air conditioned, and if possible, with indoor pool. We are also looking for some great tips on what to visit, which regions and for how many days each. In addition, any tips on transportation around Rome, suggestions on what to bring, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

ira Aug 9th, 2003 07:25 AM

Dear Ken,

I am afraid that your question is much too broad.

For example, we don't know when you are planning to go or the size of your budget.

Try putting together a tentative itinerary and then come back for help improving it.

Weadles Aug 9th, 2003 09:27 AM

We just returned from a long trip to Italy with our kids, ages 12 and 15. Since you only have a week, I'd suggest going no more than two places.

We spent time on the Amalfi Coast, and then in Rome to see the major sites. It worked out well splitting our time between relaxing and sightseeing.

Anyway, if you post with your budget and kids' interests, I'm sure you'll find more detailed responses.

Good luck and buon viaggio!

Poppa Aug 9th, 2003 10:21 AM

If you go North, take them to "Gardaland" on the lake of the same name -- South end.

We loved it and so do the other Americans who have gone there.

It is a "Disneyland" with emphasis on water and a particular Italian sweetness.

kendu Aug 9th, 2003 04:28 PM

Thanks everyone. Our family is on a low to moderate budget. We like to stay active: things to see that are hands on such as certain museums, amusement parks that might be a little different from Disney in some way, sightseeing that is not a big trip since we only have one week. If we did the unadvisable and tried to squeeze Florence, Venice and Rome into one week, can anyone inform me as to whether or not this is at least doable?
thanks
Ken

Lexma90 Aug 9th, 2003 06:10 PM

Physically, you could visit Florence, Rome and Venice in one week, but you would be very rushed (especially if you mean one 7-day week, as opposed to one week plus the weekend days on each end). You would have marginally more than 2 days in each plac, and you have to include travel time.

In addition, you said you like active things, hands-on museums and amusement parks. I know there are amusement parks in Italy, but I don't know if they're close at all to those 3 places. None of the famous museums are hands-on, they're just full of some of the world's best art. And if you try to fit in an amusement park that's not close to one of those cities, getting to it would further cut into your limited time.

If you're trying to do the cultural thing & fit Rome, Florence & Venice into 1 week, consider whether your entire family is willing to have that kind of a vacation (will it be appealing enough for the group?). If not, then limit your plans, choose one of the three cities, & spend the rest of your time in an area where you could visit a place like Gardaland & do more active things.

I can't really help you on lodging. My general guess, however, is that more modest accomodations that have AC and an indoor pool will be more the chain sorts of hotels, and might be more on the outskirts of the cities. If you stay in a place like that, you'll have to add commuting time on public transportation to your plans in the cities.

Really consider why you want to visit Rome, Venice & Florence, and what you hope to see at those 3 places in the time you have.

kismetchimera Aug 9th, 2003 06:43 PM

Kendu, one week is not enough to visit 3 cities....But if you feel that you want at least have an idea of what these cities look like, you could do it.

From Rome to Florence is 90 minutes with the ES.
From Rome to Venice is between 4.35 to 5 hours of travel..
Go to trenitalia.com to see the train's schedules...
Good luck and enjoy Italy,
kismet

gb Aug 9th, 2003 07:57 PM

I don't know about other families, but our family tends to need a day of rest about every three days or we tend to get grumpy. That is low level sightseeing,sleep in, catch up on laundry, postcards or whatever. Good for a beach day at Amalfi. In seven days with a family, I would not visit more than 2 places, if that. You need a day to catch up from traveling. 2 days at minimum for Rome sights. Maybe a day for Pompei with an overnight or 2 in the Amalfi area as Sorrento with a beach day in Positano. And back to Rome for some museum type traveling. Other wise, you would spend so much time traveling that your kids wouldn't have the chance to find the best gelato in Rome game.

Weadles Aug 10th, 2003 05:42 AM

I totally agree with gb, and from many trips to Europe with the kids, I really advise only doing two places at most in your seven days. Otherwise you may wish you'd stayed home!

Linda0515 Aug 10th, 2003 05:47 AM

We just took a 17-year-old and a 13-year-old on an 8-day tour of Rome, Florence and Venice, with brief stops at Pisa, Verona, and Padua.

We rented Gladiator before leaving, which got our 13-year-old son very interested in ancient Rome, especially the Colosseum. And he really liked Pisa and Venice. I would definitely do Venice; my son really liked the vaporetto rides, getting lost in spooky alleyways, and feeding pigeons in Piazza San Marco.

Florence was tougher for him--great city for art lovers, but really not much that's inherently appealing to kids. I would, frankly, skip Florence if I went again with kids.

Some general suggestions:
1. Try to stay at at least some hotels with swimming pools.
2. Have a couple of meals at McDonald's or Rome's Hard Rock Cafe--they'll really appreciate it!
3. We eschewed fancy Italian restaurants for pizzerias with outdoor seating on interesting piazzas and it worked out great--everyone enjoyed the people- and dog-watching.
4. Don't be reluctant to stop at outdoor cafes just to get something cold to drink and rest your feet. One of our best memories was an hour with some cold water and sodas at a cafe on the Piazza Rotonda in Rome.
5. Get lots of gelato.

ira Aug 10th, 2003 06:19 AM

Hi Ken,

I agree with the above. One week is two short for all 3. Consider a week in Rome with a day in Pompeii (see www.enjoyrome.com) and a day in Orvieto.

Take a look at fodors miniguide to Rome.

Keep in mind that you will get back to Italy.

gb Aug 10th, 2003 01:01 PM

Just a comment about Orvieto. My husband and I enjoyed Orvieto, but my kids did not. They preferred the beach day.