Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Adriatic coast-Croatia-hot & humid in June (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/adriatic-coast-croatia-hot-and-humid-in-june-805424/)

ateabag Sep 10th, 2009 03:37 AM

Adriatic coast-Croatia-hot & humid in June

Daughter getting married in Germany in May. I will be traveling with husband for a couple of wks after. But after he goes home, trying to decide if I should do the Adriatic coast as will basically be right there OR the Baltics & St Petersburg early to mid -June.
Talked to a couple of friends who went in May & it was hot & sticky. Trying to avoid the heat. I realize that by the sea it will be more humid. What are the normal temps & humidity in the first half of June, pls? Thx in advance for your kind replies!

TorontoSteven Sep 10th, 2009 05:06 AM

It is certainly hot (or can be). I didn't notice much humidity in the times I have been there in June, but you tend to get a good breeze on the coast. I can't stand humidity either.

LittleVicky Sep 10th, 2009 05:24 AM

Generally, it is not hot in early June. The average temp for June in Istria is 22 degrees with little humidity.

ateabag Sep 11th, 2009 02:24 AM

Thank you, anyone else?

adrienne Sep 11th, 2009 03:14 AM

I was in Croatia the first week of June, 2006 (from Istria to Dubrovnik) and it was warm during the day but not hot at all and not humid. Daytime was shirt sleeve temps; in the evening I wore a light sweater. I can't stand heat and humidity so if I say it wasn't hot then it was not! BTW - I think 80F is hot and anything above 60% is humid just so you know my threshold. It rained once that week but the temps were lower the evening it rained so the humidity was OK. None of the hotels had the AC turned on but the windows opened to let in some air.

adrienne Sep 11th, 2009 03:22 AM

As an aside, I was not thrilled with Croatia (I'll probably get flamed for this statement) and I seriously doubt I would ever go back there. I haven't yet been to Russia so can't advise between the two places but I would think that St. Petersburg would be infinitely much more interesting than anything you see in Croatia (other than Diocletian's Palace). I prefer museums, churches, sightseeing of buildings to nature and I found the Croatian landscape dull.

LittleVicky Sep 11th, 2009 05:01 AM

Flame thrower in hand!

adrienne Sep 11th, 2009 05:19 AM

LittleVicky - Ahhh...an Irish lover of Croatia. To my credit I found the Irish warm and inviting and the Irish landscape lush and beautiful.

ateabag Sep 12th, 2009 03:49 AM

Hi, Thx Adrienne. I appreciate your honesty. We share the same threshold, especially in the sun. I will do both eventually & it seems logical this year, but am locked into the timing with the wedding. Can't do it on the front end of the Germany wedding as they are actually having ceremonies on both sides of the pond. The first one here & then everyone is flying out to Germany for the second one the following wkend. I am really interested in the Baltics & Russia with the palaces & museums as well. If you have any more insights, Adrienne [or anyone else], I would be appreciative. Thx again!

yorkshire Sep 12th, 2009 06:06 AM

Check out wunderground or some other such site for stats for the last few years. I am a child of the southern US, and when I have visited Croatia--3 times in late May/early June, it was often hot but not humid. And pleasant in the evenings, almost cool.
Certainly there will be mroe city action in the Baltics. The appeal to me of Croatia is 1000+ sparsely inhabited islands and the natural beauty.

danon Sep 12th, 2009 06:09 AM

Adriatic coast is lovely : pretty small towns, beautiful scenery, the sea, June should not be too hot or humid...but if if you like art, museums, churches and historic buildings, you will not find much of that in Croatia.