Car Rental Savings?

Search

Car Rental Savings?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental Savings?

I am travelling with my grown kids/grandkids to a wedding in Poland. We have now decided to fly into Zurich, and driving, do a southern loop to Krakow and Radom (wedding venue) and a more northerly route back.
Zurich is a much more favourable landing spot for me using my air miles from Canada, and cheaper for my kids who are flying from the US. (I can fly premium economy or even business into Zurich but not into Munich - a big plus for Zurich to me!!) However, renting a car in Switzerland is much more expensive than renting in Germany.
Has anyone circumvented this issue by dropping off a Swiss car and re renting in Germany?
We all chose a destination to visit enroute and mine was Bavaria. This could work with the car exchange.
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Do you need an automatic. If so, rentals in smaller towns or cities might not fit the bill.

2. That said, take the train either to Germany or Innsbruck, Austria; it would be cheaper than renting a car in Switzerland and leaving it at either location. The minute you drop a car off in another country there is a stiff extra cross-border drop-off fee.

3. If you can drive a manual shift, it might be cheaper and more convenient to take the train to Lindau on the German side of Lake Constance. Autoeurope does offer the option of picking up a car there.

4. You need to check if you can take the car into Poland and possibly the Czech Republic, depending on your route.
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 07:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
A "stiff" drop off fee with SIXT (Zurich pickup, Munich drop off) is
US$234.00.

Easy to find out what it might be with other rental companies and to do the math.