Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Adding days to the Amalfi Coast vacation- where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again we have changed our itinerary for our Italy vacation (1st timers). We have decided to cut out Rome and come back for a week at a later date, which means we are on the AC for 7 days instead of 4, and from there we will go straight to Tuscany for 7 days.
This is my question....we are staying in Positano for the first 4 full days. Now that we are not going to Rome, we have an extra 3 days. The one "must" is to spend a day at Pompeii (possibly combined with Herculeaum). Should we stay in Positano for the extra 3 days, or move to another city/town? Should we see Pompeii from Positano, or stay somewhere closer and equally as wonderful for a different experience and easier access to Pompeii? From reading the posts, it seems that Naples is convenient but NOT where we would want to stay.
I want to add that I read the posts religiously and SO appreciate all the help. As a first timer, what seems to make sense to those that know the area is still confusing to those of us that don't.
Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 04:45 AM

Hi Ijnee,
I've spent alot of time in that area.

An early morning bus goes from Amalfi town connecting to the Circumvesuviana train that stops right at Pompeii (Scavi stop). To save time both there and back, get off at the Meta station instead of going all the way to Sorrento. Meta is closer to Pompeii than Sorrento, uncrowded, and easy. Bus stops right in front of station. There will probably be other tourists going the same way. You buy your train tickets inside the station (no stairs to climb!) The Pompeii Scavi stop is right at the ruins, with about a 100 yard walk to the gate. If it's a hot day, adding Herculaneum might be a bit exhausting. Those ruins are a taxi ride from the station to the site (although I walked- it took time) Herculaneum is smaller than Pompeii, and very interesting, but I think it's along day to do both.

If you are loving the Amalfi Coast I would just stay there in Positano, do a day trip to Capri, or move further along the coast to Amalfi so you can spend time hiking up through the Valley of the Mills up to Ravello, or visit Vietri and expore that part of the Coast.

If you stay in Sorrento for the extra days, you can wander around Naples for a bit on a day trip by taking the Ferry across the bay and also be close to your transportation options for the trip home.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 04:54 AM

ljnee:
If you click on my name you can see my report about our last september trip including one week in the Amalfi Coast and one week in Rome.As per your question;I think a full day is too much for Pompeii(may be you can add Herculanum); IMO Capri is a must for one day ,may be two days,and definitely you can't omit Ravello.Going to Ravello you can stop at Amalfi,or spend two or three nights based in Amalfi(we loved Amalfi).Feel free to ask any specific question.Have a nice trip!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your quick replies! It seems like it might make sense to stay put in Positano for the 7 days, and do day trips to Pompeii and Herculanum (1 day together with a driver and guide- any recommendations?); Amalfi and Ravello for a day; Capri for a day; and hopefully a little relaxation squeezed in. We are staying at Le Fenice. If they cannot extend our stay, any other recommendations. we are not trying to cut corners as this is our first trip and our 30th anniversary.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 06:22 AM

ljnee:
In Ravello be sure to visit both Villa Ruffolo AND Villa Cimbrione as they are both beautiful.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 06:41 AM

If you are reading these posts "religiously," did you come across this one? Read all the way to the bottom of the thread. The last poster is rare for actually deserving the title of being an expert on Italy, and the area you are going to. You might want to take his opinion into consideration..

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-piemonte.cfm
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 06:43 AM

That sounds like a good itinerary. Personally, I hate moving hotels; I would stay in Positano if you are enjoying the place. It is not that time consuming to hit other towns on day trips.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:38 AM
kja

If you are willing to change hotels even once, it might be worth considering an overnight stay on Capri - it has a very different feel at night, after day-trippers have left.

I think responses to one of your other posts mentioned that if you are interested in Pompeii and Herculaneum, you might enjoy the Archeological Museum in Naples very much.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:49 AM

I loved staying in Positano, but if I had 7 days, I would take a couple of nights and spend them on Capri.

I did the day trip thing, but the crowds were so oppressive, and the streets so clogged, that I really wish I had spent a night or two. Capri is so gorgeous, but I kept thinking, "wow, this would be fabulous if it weren't for all these people.: ;p We did get away from the crowds somewhat by heading to Anacapri, but our time there was brief, as it has to be on any day trip, if you want to do other things like see the blue grotto (which I loved, btw).
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM

You don't mention the time of year that you're going but you can take the aliscafo to Capri, Ischia (especially Sant Angelo and Ischia Ponte), Naples (worth a visit if you research it. It is full of incredible history). You can easily walk from the train in Herculeaum (the train stop is (Ercolano)you just may not want to walk back up the hill. We walked both ways after climbing Vesuvius (same train stop if you want to go up to Vesuvius) the same day and we are in our 60's. If you go to Pompeii don't miss the church Our Lady of Pompeii and the surrounding village.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Once again, thank you all for your responses. New thought- stay in Positano 7 days, then 2 days on Capri, then catch the ferry to Naples where we will pick up the fast speed train to Florence. How does that sound to the experts?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Since you have some time, you might think about Pompeii on one day and Herculaneum and Oplontis on another day. I have to say that a day trip to Capri from Sorrento was fine for us.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 07:40 AM

ljnee:
your last option sounds like almost perfect!!!!Have a nice trip; and don'y overplan,leave some room to spontaneous activities.