Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Add-on to Greece: Turkey, Cyprus, or ??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/add-on-to-greece-turkey-cyprus-or-586490/)

happymz Jan 30th, 2006 06:21 AM

Add-on to Greece: Turkey, Cyprus, or ???

Hi!

My friends and I are currently in the exploration phase of a 10-12 day trip back to Greece this summer, because we loved it so much last summer. But, because we are Americans with limited vacation time we hate to repeat a trip without seeing something entirely new - preferably visiting at least 1 city in another country for a few days. So, the question now is what and how can we combine a visit in Greece (perhaps just Mykonos) with a visit to another destination in the region, like Turkey (our current preference is Istanbul) or Cyprus, or other destination in the region.

I haven't been able to find ferry connections between these countries (do they exist?) but know that flights are an option...and I have consulted whichbudget.com for possible budget flight options.

I would love any Fodorite suggestions on what you would combine with the Greek islands. Specifically, more adventurous advice is requested - we know we could just stay in the Greek islands and explore more of them, and are considering that (e.g. Crete) but are looking for some unique ideas (aside from simply staying in the Greek islands, which we do love)

So, in addition to Mykonos, where to go...and how to get there? Thanks in advance!

Megan

CatharineB Jan 30th, 2006 06:34 AM

Don't know if this will help but we have been to Greece three times and are thinking of going back for a fourth time. I really recommend Crete - on our last trip, we sent two weeks just touring this island - many hiking trails as well as secluded beaches. I also suggest visiting Santorini and Rhodes as a combined trip - I have never been to Mykonos but I have found that each island has its own character.

lisabelina Jan 31st, 2006 06:31 PM

Megan,
I don't know if this helps because we took this trip 10 years ago but we visited Mykonos,Santorini and Samos and then took a ferry from Samos to Kusadasi in Turkey (I think that you can do the same from Rhodes)...you could then fly to Istanbul...
My husband and I visited Crete this last October and totally fell in love with it...we're going back this October...I agree with Catherine...Crete might be worthy of your consideration too!
Happy travel planning!
Lisa

Mojo1203 Feb 18th, 2006 06:04 PM

Kyrenia in Northern Cyprus (Turkish side) was a lot of fun. It had some great shopping, cobblestone roads, etc. It is a port city, but a gorgeous one. At night, all of the umbrellas on the outdoor cafe's are lit up and nightlife begins. Several clubs for dancing. If you go there, I'd also suggest Nicosia, Cyprus. More inland. It has great markets and filled with history (and I am not that big of a history buff). Beautiful mosques and I felt safe everywhere I went.

yakamozkar Feb 19th, 2006 06:58 PM

What is your interest? What would you like to see and do. If you like to see some historical sites, Istanbul is the city that will offer you sites from both the Byzantine and ottoman period. If you are interested in the water, the sea, then you have to stay around the Aegean. If you want to combine both, then while in the Greek Islands, you can always get to Kusadasi (Kushadasi) and from there you can visit Ephesus, St. John's Basilica and the the museum in Seljuk by simply taking a taxi. If you are interested in the history of the period, the city
of Istanbul will definitely satisfy your thirst with its diverse offerings.

Read some of the guide books from your library, visit of Ministry of Turizm websites and you can also get maps from the Turkish Embassies or Consulates in the USA.

Odin Feb 22nd, 2006 02:36 PM

Greece, Cyprus and Egypt could work. There are cruises that leave from Cyprus to Egypt for 2 or 3 day duration with various excursions.

deniz666uk Mar 2nd, 2006 11:16 AM

not sure where you are starting from but if you are flying into athens have you thought about making the return journey from maybe istanbul. from athens go to mykonos then onto samos boat to kusadasi visit ephesus then make your way to istanbul by bus or plane from izmir then fly home from istanbul then you will have more time because you wont have to back track to get back. i did this once and found the price of the flights were no dearer than if i bought a normal return

happymz Mar 13th, 2006 11:59 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...

We are considering just doing Mykonos & Crete, but I am intrigued by your suggestion Deniz666uk - that may be exactly what we are looking for. To make sure I understand, you are suggesting:
*Arrive athens, travel to Mykonos (ferry or fly)
*Mykonos to Samos (ferry?)
*Samos to Kusadasi (ferry?)
*Kusadasi to Izmir (bus?)
*Izmir to Istanbul (bus or fly)

I would need to do a great deal of research yet on Turkey if we take this route, so forgive my basic questions, but would you suggest stopovers in each place, or would you connect directly through some places, e.g. should we spend tim in Samos or Izmir? What would you specifically recommend we see/do there (as you note Ephesus for Kusadasi)?

We may be looking at only 10 days for this full route, and we are amibitious (because we have to be with limited vacation time) - though certainly this is not ideal, is it at least reasonably achievable in 10 days?

Thanks for the advice!