Add on to France trip - Barcelona, Munich, Berlin or Geneva

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my retreat in SW France I was planning on going to Lyon for 3-4 days and then Paris for 5 days. Now I am thinking Lyon may be too similar to Paris and maybe I should explore other areas in Europe. What do you think of replacing Lyon with either Barcelona, Munich, Berlin or Geneva?
Originally I wanted to stay away from the big cities but somehow these cities have a draw for me.
I leave in three weeks (Sept 23) and need to finalize my plans. I don't plan on returning to Europe anytime soon so I want to take advantage of the proximity of the other countries around France.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM

My favorite is Barcelona,
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 07:02 PM

It really all depends on your personal interests and preferences.

IMHO, Barcelona usually means young people partying (Ibiza) and some interesting architecture (Gaudi) and Catalan culture.

You don't need four days for Munich, two would be sufficient and then you could go to nearby smaller towns for one-day visits. There's plenty on the smaller towns here on Fodors, just do a search.

Berlin, you need more than 4 days if you're into museums. Terrific museums and other cultural activities.

Geneva - kind of a blah city for me, I much prefer the Swiss countryside.

Could you give us a bit more information? Are you into nightlife? partying? museums? music? scenery? hiking? river cruises? restful or active? foodie? beer? (There's a beer trip report going on right now which includes Munich)
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM

Look at a map and decide how you want to travel. Some of the cities you mention are too far for train travel from SW France.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 08:57 PM

How is Ibiza in Barcelona?
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:16 PM

It depends how you are travelling. If you're in SW France, Barcelona is handiest. We plan to be in SW France next year and are thinking of tacking on a few nights in Barcelona by train from Perpignan. You could do that and take the return train back all the way to Avignon to hook up with the TGV to Paris.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Hi KeppieAngel,

Lake Geneva is spectacular in September, with the vineyards of the Lavaux ripe for harvest. I don't really like big cities either and would opt to stay in the smaller Montreux or Vevey. While there, visit Gruyeres (for cheese & cream), Broc (for chocolate), Chillon castle, the vineyards of the Lavaux, Morges, and Yvoire (in France).

Great TGV connections to/from Paris -- though if you want to do this, you ought to buy your tickets ASAP to try to get a cheap fare.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 03:51 AM
ira

Hi KA,

Definitely not Geneva.

A bit more info on what you will be doing during your retreat, please
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks All! I am getting a little nervous/compulsive about where to go. My retreat consists of hiking, yoga, relaxing , tasting and sightseeing. My trips ends with 5 days in Paris. It might be nice to check in with another culture.

I have some Hilton points to use that is underlying my decision so I am restricted to certain cities. I travel a bit for work so I want to be able to make the points work for me! Unfortunately I realize I lose the opportinity to stay in a hotel with charm and I know that makes a big difference.

I still am considering Strasbourg and dropping Lyon but if Barcelona or Berlin or some other city will be the piece de resistance then I am open.

I have some FF airline points I can use too. I would consider a train too if it doesn't require too many transfers.

I can depart from either Bordeaux, Pau or Biarritz.

I am mostly a vegetarian and probably would not love the German/Alsacein cuisine but I could work around that.

I love nature and want to be able to stop and smell the roses.

Thanks so much for your input.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 05:31 AM

Biaritz is close to San Sebastian....Known for it's food and beaches.
Might be more relaxing than big cities
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Is San Sebastian very busy and large? I saw a food channel program about San Sebastian this week and it looked delicious! I was considering San Sebastian however - no there are no Hiltons there and the villa sorro is too expensive.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 07:12 AM

After 24 hours in Strasbourg, I was ready to leave.

If. SS does not work for you because of Hilton points,
Barcelona is smaller and more relaxing than Berlin
Also, the weather would likely be much nicer.
Hilton hotels in Barcelona are a bit out of the very center...
one is close tto the sea... Might be what you are looking for.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 07:52 AM

San Sebastian is great- beautiful beaches, great waves, and unbelievable views. I stayed in both San Sebastian and Zarautz(small town just outside) and had a great time.

Barcelona is one of my favorite spots in the world- great night life, lots of sights to see, and good food/bar crowd for the afternoons.

If you want any info on these places just message me
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 07:58 AM

Definitely Switzerland as number one. You don't have to stay in Geneva, take a day train and go somewhere where you can hike and drink in nature.

Barcelona/Munich second choice. More diverse "culture"-wise from Paris, but Barcelona is a big city. Also I checked the night train schedules and it's a bear getting from Biarritz to Barcelona.

Munich has more charm, is smaller and may be ideal for a 3/4 day visit. Go out to the Nymphenberg Palace and gardens (recollection is that entry to the gardens is free, but you have to pay to get inside the palace itself and the outlying smaller buildings). You could spend all day at Nymphenberg. There's also hiking around Munich, but it's been years and years since I've done any hiking there - maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Switzerland is super safe, clean but more expensive. For Barcelona, as along the Mediterranean coast, best to watch out for petty thievery but it's less expensive. Munich is very affordable and safe. B&Bs are a possible choice for a couple of nights, they are relatively inexpensive and a lot more interesting than a Hilton.

Skip Strasbourg, it's worth one day as Danon has already mentioned, the old town and the cathedral (second tallest in Europe after Ulm) can be done in a day. Skip Berlin, I don't think of Berlin as a place to "relax".

Hope this gives you a few more factors to consider.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 08:57 AM

Why not the Dordogne, since it's close by and offers plenty of opportunities for the activities you enjoy (including a big Buddhist colony for yoga, etc.)? You really can't easily pop over to other countries' big cities for "relaxing."
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 09:52 AM

If you decide on Munich, make sure it is NOT during Octoberfest.
- it is jammed.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Ok I may be back to one of my original choices -Evian Le Bains on Lake Geneva. There is a Hilton there and I can use points. However, the local transportation may be too limited and it is a bear to get to. The idea of cheese, chocolate, castles, and wines in that region sounds too good.

I will also check the Hilton webiste now for Barcelona but I think I also noticed the Hiltons in Barcelona are out of the way. They didn't get great reviews either. Can anyone confirm that?

I am trying to explore all options - maybe to a fault. It is not often I get to use my points or have the luxury of traveling on my own for this length of time.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 11:52 AM

Great choice!

Spend your points on a high end resort, then maybe splurge on some spa treatment?!

You can either take the TGV train from Bordeaux to Geneva or take one of the cheap airlines. Easyjet flies Bordeaux to Geneva. Check out skyscanner.net for flights.

That said, I usually don't like to fly intra-continental Europe because of the time it takes to get to and from the airports which are usually out of town, whereas the train stations are right in the middle of the cities.

Have a fine trip! Sounds very relaxing!
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Berlin is actually the most convenient for me after a lot of research for using my FF miles and hotel awards.

Why has no one thrown in their vote for Berlin. The Hilton there got great reviews and it seems to be very well located.

It is either Berlin or back to my original add on of Lyon before i head to Paris.

Thanks for your help. I really value it.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm crazy about the Lac Leman (Lake Geneva) region of Switzerland. I wouldn't spend a lot of time in Geneva (I don't find it a particularly interesting city) but rather within 1 hour train ride you can be in Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux. These are incredbily gorgeous smaller towns all sitting right on the lake.

(but sounds like you aren't considering Geneva any more?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -