Add Folegandros to our itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 11 nights to spend visiting the Greek Islands and have decided on seeing Santorini and Naxos. Lately I have read so many wonderful comments on Folegandros that I am considering shaving 2 nights off each of the other 2 islands and making a stop on Folegandros. Would 3 nights Naxos, 4 nights Folegandros and 4 nights Santorini be insane...travelling with one husband and two teenaged sons? My natural tendency is to limit the number of destinations so that we can avoid the hassles of packing/checking out/travelling/checking in/unpacking...but Folegandros looks so tempting.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:32 PM

I'm going to tempt you some more....

On the ferry route going to Folegandros there are three other great islands to visit.

First would be Serifos, a typical cycladic island with a pristine white cubic Chora (town) wrapped around a conical hill. Add to this superb soft sand beaches and rugged mountains.

Next stop is Sifnos another good island with good beaches and yet more attractive inland villages in Apollonia/Artemona. Also a number of small seaside resorts on the coast such as Vathy.

And then there is Milos, a sort of eroded volcanic island similar to Santorini with a vast caldera and an unusual coastline in places. There are some archeological sites here as well. Guide books always slag off the island mainly for the odd disused mine working, but don't let that put any one off.

All these islands are much less touristy than the questionable 'must sees' of Mykonos/Santorini.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:48 PM

In a way I hate to recommend Folegandros because part of its charm is that it's not overloaded with tourists and tacky shops. We didn't visit at the other islands Retsina talks about but the stops there made the ferry ride interesting.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Folegandros is not developed like the more popular Cyclades islands. It's basically barren. Other than swimming and hiking there really isn't much else to do there. Your teenage boys might get bored if they require more stimulation than that. Follow your natural tendencies to limit the number of your destinations. Less is more.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM

Folegandros is wonderful and a very different island than Naxos and Santorini so would be a nice mix. If you go do a boat tour around the island - your sons would love it - you can stop and swim in a few spots. We stayed at Folegandros Apts and highly recommend it - http://www.folegandros-apartments.com/. But in looking at your itineray I would add a day to Naxos as there is so much to do and take one from folegandros. Just make sure to check the ferry schedule to Folegandros as I recall it is not as frequent. Enjoy the islands!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:20 PM

I'll second stilli, add a day to naxos, take one for folegandros.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:37 PM

brotherleelove2004 You've never been to Folegandros nor do you travel by ferry so why comment....
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:55 PM

To help people. Why do you have a problem with that? My postings are based on experience and research. this is not the first time you have chosen to express criticism, and I must admit I'm puzzled. Have I offended you in some way? Is what I say so far wrong as to be ridiculous? What motivates you to bother to make a comment like the one above and not take the time to try to assist the OP since you're here and writing anyway? If you want to correct any misinformation please do so for the benefit of us all. Otherwise, piss off.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM

The 50 Euros you paid that exclude taxes? I just paid for one way, $51 euros plus 26.81 in tax on Aegean total of $77.81...thought it was a good deal and cheaper than Olympic based on a mid june departure to Santorini.