adare,kenamre and dingle advice needed

Jan 13th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

adare,kenamre and dingle advice needed

hello again my helpful friends---
we are close to finalizing our plans .We will land (and depart ) at Shannon coming from the states. july 28-august 11.our tentaive itinerary is:
galway 3 nights
drive to dublin for 2 nights
drive to kinsale for 2 nights
Here's where the uncertainty settles in
can we do justice to ourselves by staying in one of the following towns and day -tripping to the other 2 -or should we stay in all 3 towns

Kenmare,Dingle ,and Adare
we are open to all suggestions and we are planning staying near shannon airport the last night (probably Ennis or Bunratty)
your advice so far has been great and appreciated
Jan 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM

Dublin is a long way (clear across the country) to drive for just 2 nights. Is it too late to change your ticket to "open jaw" and fly into Shannon ,and OUT of Dublin.? Usually doesn't cost a penny more.

Dingle is wonderful (as are the other 2) and would be a nice stop for 2 or 3 nights....then on to Kenmare and Kinsale.
We flew into Shannon, then Galway, Adare, Dingle, Kenmare, Kinsale, then headed to Dublin (stopping one night between) and spent 2(or 3) nights in Dublin before flying home.
It seemed to work fine for us...but whatever you do you will have a great trip.
Jan 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM

The drive south from Dublin is not a hard drive but I would plan on six hours, longer if you get lost in Cork which I always do. If you get an early start you could avoid Cork by visiting the Cobh heritage center and then taking a small ferry across the river and then a short drive to Kinsale. I would skip Adare which is a nice little town but in my view nothing special. If you take the N-71 from Kinsale to Kenmare you should detour out onto the Mizen Peninsula. Great views and the lighhouse at the end is a great little walk. There is a wooden bridge over a gorge that my wife runs across. In Kenmare you could day trip out to the ROK and the Beara Peninsula. Drive the Healy Pass for a thrill ride and Glengariff has a nice little boat ride out to some island gardens.
Dingle speaks for itself, again try the Connor Pass for some great scenerey. That road has been widened and is not nearly as scary as it was a few years ago. Dingle to the Shannon aiport area is a very easy drive and you will get there in plenty of time to visit the fun park or walk around Ennis. As a reminder don't even think about driving around Dublin. Find a place to park and take public transportation. Have fun

Search this Thread