Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Adaptor Question for UK? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/adaptor-question-for-uk-104664/)

Judy Feb 7th, 2001 09:31 AM

Adaptor Question for UK?

Just popped into Tru-Value hardware to buy a adaptor, not converter. The hardware guys and I were stumped over which plug to use! Franzus plugs had 2 differant plugs for "parts of United Kingdom", a 3 prong job, and a 2 round prong(which I have)...ok, which one is it? This stuff dives me batty! ;-) Judy

Walter Feb 7th, 2001 10:07 AM

Try this site http://kropla.com/ <BR>Regards, Walter

Thyra Feb 7th, 2001 10:11 AM

Judy, first of all you will need to get the plug adaptor and a converter, the plug adaptor, just allows for you to plug in whatever, but the converter acually allows the power supply to be changed over to run whatever. As I recall, the UK is predominantly the big, 3 pronged thingy, France has the medium length rounded, two prongs and those are the only 2 I am certain of. You may want to consider going to a travel store that specializes in travel accessories and buy one of the converter kits that contains everything, Converter and a variety of plugs, I have one, that's all in a handy travel case and contains all the elements, that way you won't get stuck. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Judy Feb 7th, 2001 10:43 AM

Thanks Walter and Thyra for the feedback! I went to that site, Walter, and it was very helpful. I like illustrations, and there is no doubt about the plug whatsoever. Thyra; I have a curling iron with dual voltage, and if it fries(like my last one), I am going to buy a curling iron there! Judy

Patrick Feb 7th, 2001 10:48 AM

Judy, I too switched to dual voltage appliances a couple of years ago --both a hairdryer and a steamer/iron. They are great, especially not having to deal with the voltage converter, just the plug adapter. After burning up several things despite using a voltage converter, this has been a great way to go.

Lori Feb 7th, 2001 12:21 PM

Judy, <BR>You need a converter AND the adaptor plug set. I'd go to someplace like a Samsonsite Store and get a Franzus set. I've had mine for ages. You need to use the 3 pronged set for the UK. I think Target sells these sets too, at least I have seen them there and most likely luggage stores at your local mall. If you don't have the right thing it won't work!! UK plugs are kind of large, you can easily tell which is which and even in my old Franzus set there was a diagram showing each plug and where it was used. Incidentally, you can't plug anything in bathrooms in the UK, there are no outlets (for safety reasons) except for razor outlets and they are not for anything else. If this converter/adaptor is for a hair dryer you will be using it in the bedroom of your hotel! You might want to take a small extension cord, otherwise you can get into some interesting positions when blowing your hair dry!! If you are going to be there for anytime at all and plan on going back invest in a British hair dryer - they sell them for about the same price you pay here. I bought one and it's great.

Gina Feb 7th, 2001 12:25 PM

Judy, a couple of years ago I too bought a British hair dryer since I manage to get to London at least once a year; it's come in very handy. But I was delighted to note that when I bought a new version of the dryer I always use at home--it's a round hot air blower-brush from Conair that I *love*--they're now making it in a dual voltage version. My camera battery charger and PDA AC adapter/charger now also come as dual voltage, so I'm pretty much out of the dragging-a-converter-along business for good, I think. Adapters only!

frank Feb 7th, 2001 11:52 PM

UK plugs are 3 square pins except in bathrooms where shaver plugs are 2 pin. <BR>UK people have to use an adaptor if they use an electric shaver elsewhere in the house.

Judy Feb 8th, 2001 04:18 AM

Thanks Frank, for solving the mystery of the 2 plugs....I will tell the hardware guys when I go back. Judy :-)

Sheila Feb 8th, 2001 06:53 AM

Brookstone makes a dual voltage travel hairdryer/iron made together that looks really neat. I have not used it but I saw it in the shop the other day when i bought my converter/adaptor set. I left my last converter plugged into the wall in Florence (dumb me). I plan to guard this set with my life. Brookstone has a lot of neat travel items. I have a tiny alarm clock from them that would wake the dead. They have shops at airports and malls.