Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Europe (
-   -   Adapters/converters in Germany/France (

CRose10328 Sep 5th, 2007 02:03 PM

Adapters/converters in Germany/France
I'm pretty sure I'm right on this from reading some older threads but I just want to make sure as I don't want to fry something.

I am taking a RAZR phone charger, an iPod nano charger that plus into the wall as opposed to the computer and a battery charger for AA batteries for use in my Canon S5 IS. All of these say 100V-240V. I am assuming then I can get by with no converter and only need an adaptor. Can you confirm that?

Are the adaptors the same for Germany, France and the Netherlands, the two round thick pins?

Thanks. Leaving in three week and trying to throw things into a suitcase! I can't wait!


hopscotch Sep 5th, 2007 02:47 PM

Yes and yes. Just get the grounded plug adapter.

rkkwan Sep 5th, 2007 05:09 PM

Doesn't need a grounded adapter. Just two pin ones are fine with the chargers.

CRose10328 Sep 5th, 2007 05:37 PM

I don't believe I need a grounded plug adaptor as none of my plugs are three-pronged. However, I seem to remember being in Germany that their plugs are recessed. Do I need to buy something special for that? Anyone have a recommendation on where to buy the adaptor? I don't really want to buy a whole bag of international adaptors for every country for $16. I did see some online for northern Europe for about $4. I just am wondering if they're deep enough.

Thanks all.


kkukura Sep 5th, 2007 05:53 PM

I was able to use all my items without anything but the adaptor in Germany this summer. I was wondering if I would have a problem with the recessed outlets and I even brought extra adaptors and tape in case I needed to tape the plug to the adaptor, but I had no problems whatsoever. You should be fine.

Nikki Sep 5th, 2007 06:10 PM

I believe the adaptors for northern Europe will not work in France, which uses the southern Europe type. I'm not sure which Germany uses. There is apparently an adaptor that will work for both the northern and southern European wall sockets, but if it is specifically marked for northern Europe, I imagine that means it is limited to those sockets.

rkkwan Sep 5th, 2007 06:36 PM

Agree with kkukura. Unless your two-pin adapter is super tall (there's no reason for it to be), it'll fit inside the round, recessed plug area.

CRose10328 Sep 6th, 2007 02:57 AM

Thanks for your reply. Glad I won't need an extension for those recessed outlets.

Nikki, I thought I was on a webpage that said the adaptors for France and Germany were the same. Can anyone confirm this?


ira Sep 6th, 2007 03:38 AM

Hi CR,

I have used the same adapter in Germany and France.

I am unaware of different outlets in Northern and Southern Europe.


CRose10328 Sep 6th, 2007 03:59 AM

Thanks. I'm all set you've been very helpful.



rkkwan Sep 6th, 2007 04:29 AM

Here's a webpage for the different types of plugs in the world:

Germany, Netherlands, Spain and most of northern Europe uses the "Schuko" plug, Type F.

France uses a different type, Type E.

Both of these have recessed wall plates, but the actual grounding pins are different. But many newer plugs are E/F hybrid, so they can get proper grounding in both E and F countries.

Italy uses Type L, where the grounding pin is in the middle of the two regular pins. The wall plate is not recessed.

Switzerland uses Type J, where the grounding pin is also in the middle, but is offset.

<b>But an ungrounded two-pin adapter can be used in all of these countries.</b>

So, if you're bringing a grounded appliance to continental Europe, you need different plugs for different countries. But if your appliance is not grounded, you need just one.

CRose10328 Sep 7th, 2007 03:53 AM

Thanks for your detailed reply. Sounds like I'm good since I have no grounded plugs. Good thing as it sounds like it could get complicated :)

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:09 PM.