Search

actualized credit card information for Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actualized credit card information for Europe

Hi I have being using Capital One for many years,
no complains at all. .However since I have not been in Europe for a few years , I would like to know if today Capital One is a good choice or if there are better options.
On the other hand I know one has to be awfully careful not to be charge in dollars instead of Euros. That I had encounter in the past and of course rejected it. I also noticed that some atm machines were a little confusing, I thought at the time, they were kind of tricking me to do the operation in dollars or something . Is this right, or I am a little paranoiac>?
Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 07:43 AM

You should not be using Credit card to get cash, in Europe or US. Very expensive. Debit or ATM cards are the way to go.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Struggling with "actualized" but as Debit says stick with debit cards
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 07:56 AM

Debit knows her debits...
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 09:26 AM

<<Struggling with "actualized">>

Graziella isn't a native English speaker - she's posted before.

Whether Cap One is a good option depends upon its foreign exchange charges and acceptance - if you're using a Cap One VISA or MasterCard, you should have no forex charges and it'll be accepted just about anyplace that accepts credit cards. But that forex info is available from Capital One, not other posters on this board.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 09:35 AM

Given Cap One credit cards have no foreign transaction fee, why wouldn't it still be a good choice? That's the main issues, it seems to me, in addition to acceptance. And Mastercard or Visa is very widely accepted.

I can't imagine one was always using a credit card to get cash, but if so, then everything is out the window. First, don't do it. But if you do, it would depend on the cash advance terms of the card, which on Cap One are high. Most cards they are, like $5-10 or some pct of the amount, plus interest from the date of the charge. Those terms are like that on every CC I have, very high.

I don't know about ATMs trying to trick you, I've only seen ATMs try to charge in euro or USD a couple times that I can ever recall. It wasn't tricky, it just presented the options--it would be tricky if you didn't know what to do.

I think Graziella is totally mixing up ATM machines and credit card purchases, where some establishment may try to get you to be charged in USD.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 09:42 AM

The ATM machines (hopefully using an ATM or debit card, not CC) also present you with confusing scare tactics to make you think you have to take DCC. So far, I have eventually found a way to push buttond in correct sequences to get charged in local currency. Sometimes I had to abort when I realized how the machine tricked me into attempt to charge in dollars. Sometimes the correct buttons "seem" to be dimmed not usable and physically presented smaller than the DCC button.
Those who have not yet encountered these machines might feel avoiding DCC at ATM machine is trivial. But there exist extremely deceptive machines in existence.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 09:52 AM

I think Grazziela means to say something like "current" or "today's", but the rest of the posters are accurate--use your bank's ATM to get cash. Much less expensive than getting a cash advance on your credit card.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the OP is referring to using a Cap One ATM card to get cash that is still the best way o go, but you do have to be careful to insist that you want the transaction processed in the local currency.

If the OP is talking about credit cards, Cap One is not issuing chip and pin cards, and so for my trip last year I also carried a Pentagon Federal CU card, which did chip and signature primary and chip and pin secondary.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 10:40 AM

Anyone who speaks a Romance language wouldn't be perplexed by "actualized".
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Hello,
First I must apologize for making up the ACTUALIZED term,LOL, as bvlenci kindly suggests my mother tongue is a Romance language. I should have checked my dictionary .

dwdvagamundo understood what I meant, actually you all did and I thank you all.
In summary , I shall take my

ATM debit card, which is from Sun Trust Bank, insisting the transaction be processed in the local currency and the Capital One, Master Card for paying bills.

Is everything up to date now,>? everything "actualizado" "actualisé" 'attuale" ./?
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 11:35 AM

Tutto apposto, Graziella!
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Grazie mille, bvienci,
Aleluya!.... I made it.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 01:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Graziella

Sorry if I offended, sometimes we get young English writers who just confuse with gibberish. Thanks Big Russ and bvlenci et al. I should have flicked into French.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

bilboburgler,

No harm done. Thank you.
That is my problem I flick often into anything but English.