Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Activities, Tours, Interests - Vienna, Romantic Road, French Riviera (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/activities-tours-interests-vienna-romantic-road-french-riviera-1002137/)

ChallengerGrey Jan 7th, 2014 06:13 PM

Activities, Tours, Interests - Vienna, Romantic Road, French Riviera

DH and I are planning another trip to Europe and we've had such tremendous help in the past on this site, we would appreciate your input in our next adventure. We are looking for different types of activities that are not typically listed in the travel books. We are planning on leaving at the end of August for about 17 nights arriving in Vienna and flying out of...?
Here's the itinerary:
3 - Vienna
2 - Salzburg
1 - Stein am Rhein (enjoying all the small towns along the way-been to Fussen)
3 - Munich (Dachau, Olympic Village)
2 - Rothenburg ob Tauber (visit Wurzburg)
Fly to Nice
1 - Monte Carlo
2 - St. Tropez
3 - Marseille (Aix-en-Provance)
We're fairly active, early morning people with a decent budget (meaning willing to splurg on the right activity). I know we can do this itinerary, but I'm sure there will be those who will baulk at the speed. It's what we like to do. We'll be driving. Constructive criticism is welcomed.
Kind regards.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 7th, 2014 06:40 PM

I'm not sure what you are asking. You seem committed to your itinerary as planned. What sort of activities are you seeking?

Are you looking for a place to fly home from? Where is home?

ChallengerGrey Jan 7th, 2014 07:18 PM

While the itinerary is not set in stone, it's all the places on my bucket list within that area.
I have 4 travel books on these areas, but I read on an older Foder's post that there was a Night Watchman Tour in Wurzburg. Tegelberg has a luge. We'll visit some churches, but suggestions on interesting places, museums, activities would be appreciated.

fourfortravel Jan 8th, 2014 12:06 AM

We live in Vienna and keep a working list of activities that we come across for when schloss weariness and Imperial fatigue set in. I've listed some of our favorite activities below.

Head to the hills. In August the vineyards are lush and fragrant, and make for an excellent day hike. Take the bus to the top of Kahlenberg and walk down, then finish with a meal at any number of heurigen in Grinzing or Nußdorf.

Take at the Badenbahn from Vienna to Baden bei Wien (30 minutes one way) to enjoy the Baden Thermalstrandbad with its sanded beach and Art Deco buildings. The Hapsburg Court spent summer days here, as well.

Taste Vienna’s answer to France’s champagne with a tour of the Schlumberger Sektkellerei. Tour the cellars of this sparkling wine that was served to the Hapsburg Court and stretch many kilometers below Vienna, then sample the sparkling elixir yourself at the end.

As you'll have a car, a drive through the Wachau Valley is easily achievable and makes for a pleasant day trip. Pack a picnic lunch to enjoy somewhere along the Donau, or stop in at any of the local wine taverns and gasthauses. Happy Planning!

ChallengerGrey Jan 8th, 2014 03:40 AM

fft - terrific ideas. Thank you.

Travelforbeer Jan 8th, 2014 09:29 PM

Not sure about Wurzburg, but Rothenburg had 2 nightwatchman tours in September of '12. You might want to reverse Rothenburg and Munich and fly from Munich to Nice... Ditch the car when you get to Munich. Public Transportaion is great in Munich!!! Did you check the car rental drop fees renting in Austria and dropping in Germany? You might want to drop in Salzburg and ride the train in Germany...Have a good trip!!!

((B))