Activities in Alicante, Spain for 9yo boy in July

Old Jun 9th, 2017, 10:59 AM
cri
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody !

I will spend 2weeks in Alicante in July with my 9yo son. I'm not planning to rent a car, so we'll be using public transportation.

Please advise on activities for children, both in the sun and shade, eatery places, kids parks, supervised beach.

I will stay in an apartment in Benalua.

Regards !
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:32 AM

Check out the official website for Alicante: www.alicanteturismo.com

It should cover everything you need to know to keep the 9 yo busy for two weeks.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 12:38 PM
cri
Original Poster

Thanks Robert!
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 04:00 PM

the water front was about the nicest I saw in Spain - for train info (buses may be better) check www.renfe.com; where to go www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

How far do you want to venture in a day? Alicant' was I though super nice but not much to do in it except beach it IMO for 2 weeks -have you though of splitting time somewhere else?
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 07:32 AM

topping
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 06:25 AM
cri
Original Poster

Thanks, Palen! I will stay in Alicamte, doing day trips only, by train/bus.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 03:02 PM

Alicante is a large city with the tourist trade focused on the water. I haven't been there with children, so can't suggest too much.

The castle is a major landmark. To access the castle you can either ride up the winding road or take the elevator inside the hill. Once there, the main attraction is the view, so you will probably not spend much time there. Too hot to climb that time of year.

The only beach I am familiar with in Alicante is the Platja del Postiguet below the castle. It is filled daily mostly with retirees, but it does have lifeguards and a watersport vendor.The tram runs along the coast to some areas where I saw a long beach that was more attractive. Tram ride itself is pleasant.

There are boat trips to Tabarca Island from the port. I didn't enjoy it much, but it is popular. Rough ride (maybe an hour?) out to island with large outdoor restaurants, a small town with some historic structures, clear rocky areas for snorkeling, and a crowded small beach.

With the fast train, Madrid is doable as a long day trip.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 06:50 AM
cri
Original Poster

Thanks Kay! I might consider a day trip to Valencia.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 07:46 AM

I haven't been to Valencia.
I have a friend who lived there for years and says we should back to visit, but we never make it.

My friend once took me to a small fish market selling just off the boat that was interesting for a quick experience. I think it was in Calpe, but there may be others.
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 08:32 AM

There used to be a rickety little train that ran up the coast along the cliffs from Alicante toward Denia, some forty years ago. Sort of like the "Toonervile Trolly" for you that are old enough to remember that comic strip. Perhaps it still runs. We owned an apartment in Calpe, and rode the train frequently with our four little ones. It made a delightful and scenic way to see other small (at that time) villages.

There is a giant rock, the Penon de Ifach, by the port at Calpe, and if you are energetic, the scamper up that Gibraltar look-alike will burn off youthful energy and give you wonderful views.

https://www.spain-holiday.com/Costa-...h-really-rocks
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 09:14 AM

Whoops, correction! My memory is not totally gone, I now recall that one takes a "regular" train from Alicante to Benidorm, and it is from there one catches the small train along the coast to Calpe, Javea, etc.