Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accomodations near paris with train service to the city

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:48 AM
dan ellis

I am traveling by car from Munich to Paris for the Auto show in late september. Any suggestions from anyone who has used a car and stayed in a quiet easy to drive to location near paris? We just don't want to battle the traffic in Paris and would prefer to stay in a place where we could catch a train into the city and back. Thanks Dan

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Andre

Dan,

Even if you insist on driving from Munich to Paris (why not fly???) for the auto show of all things (Geneva has a better one in March), I would still strongly recommend that you stay someplace convenient to the Parc des Expositions at Porte de Versailles, where the auto show takes place.

If you want to avoid Paris traffic and are arriving on the A4, you could stay at Disneyland or nearby, but this means over an hour by train each way to reach the auto show, so I would rather face up to traffic once than spend my entire stay riding on trains!

If you provide me with your budget, I can make some hotel suggestions and give you driving directions.

BTW, the web site for the auto show is:
http://www.mondial-automobile.com/gb/index_mondial_gb.htm?movie=home.swf&nom=

Hope this helps,
Andre

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:02 AM
ttt

Topping for Dan

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Christina

I haven't done it but someone on here did mention they stay in St-Denis, although I think that was for cost rather than traffic reasons. there's a metro and RER stop there and cheaper hotels, although I wouldn't call a lot of St-Denis charming.

If the auto show is near Porte de Versailles, that wouldn't be at all convenient, however, because St-Denis is on the north and Pte Versailles on the southern edge of the city. There are lots of hotels down there, though, because of the convention center, I'm sure you could find many with an internet search.

You don't say what kind of place you want or what you want to spend, but one example is the Forest Hill Balard hotel near the Balard metro http://www.foresthill-hotels.com/paris-balard/
That's a typical 3-star modest large chain hotel, nothing remarkable one way or another from what I've heard--it's nearby and has cheap rates and free parking and you can walk to the Balard metro from it (it's also near a large recreation area/water park). It's probably about 20-30 min. from there to the Seine (that metro line goes directly to Invalides and place de la Concorde).

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Doug

I stayed in a B and B in a small town called Chartrettes on the Seine near Fountainbleu. It was a short walk to the RER station that went into the Gare de Lyon. It fits your criteria. It is property # 219 on www.stopoverconnections.com

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:36 AM
VIncent

Since Porte de Versailles is somehow isolated, and only accessible via the eponymous metro station, I suggest you look around a metro station on the Southern end of line 12, ie Issy les Moulineaux. Nothing to scream about, but it's two stops from the Mondial and relatively less dense than Paris itself. Of course, every other year, when the Mondial takes place, the press draws our attention on the fact that this auto show seems to multiply the already high traffic jam rate in the area.