Is Gasoil really Diesel fuel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cannot remember for the life of me. I am trying to rent a car in Budapest and have a choice. I would rather have a diesel engine.
I have a choice between a car that uses Petrol and one that uses Gasoil. If I remember correctly, the diesel is more reasonable. We will be doing a lot of driving.
Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Gasoil is diesel.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM

Yes, gasole is diesel.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I have seen it spelled both ways and wanted to make sure.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 08:42 AM

If you know diesel's cheaper than petrol in Hungary, fine.

But that's not a law of nature. Refinery prices for diesel and petrol fluctuate in different ways from each other - and governments differ from each other in how they tax the two. In Britain, for example, diesel's been costlier than petrol for some years now.

Rarely dearer enough to bankrupt a motorist making the wrong choice - but just something worth checking.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM

And do gas-oil engines work as well in the Northern Michigan-like winter much of Europe is experiencing, including Hungary - or maybe it works better?
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Diesel is more expensive than Petrol in the UK at the moment, but it's still cheaper to use, as diesel's have a better fuel consumption. I always try and get a diesel if I have a long journey to do.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Not an issue, winter diesel works down to -30C or -20C in areas where more isn't needed.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Yes, I too learned that gasoil is indeed diesel after nearly jumping out of the car window when the attendant started to fill our diesel lease car with the nozzle labeled gasoil. All I could think in that flash was that were now going to be the proud owners of a diesel car that didn't run!
Michele
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

I am going to check on the prices of the fuel before we rent.
We used a diesel in Portugal in August and we were glad of it as the cost was significantly less expensive than unleaded. But on that trip we did not really drive very much. We did not rent a diesel because they would not confirm that this is the type of engine we would be supplied with. It just so happened that when we picked up the car that is what it was.

In Hungary,there are diesels available for rent but they are more costly than the other cars. They are not bigger, just more costly. So I have to compare to see if the cost is justified. I always felt the diesel cars also got better gas mileage.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM

Diesels do a much better mileage, but if the rental fee is higher you might have to drive thousands of miles before you see the benefit. Well worth looking at more closely.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 12:13 PM

However, watch out for a fuel called Gasoil in the U.K., which you may see on sale at very low prices. You are not allowed to use it in normal road-going vehicles, as it is taxed at a much lower rate. It is intended for machinery driven by diesel engines.

You may also see "Autogas". This is liquefied petroleum gas, and your car has to be specially modified to use it.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Currently there is little difference between unleaded and diesel prices in Hungary, both around 1.14 euro/litre. With a harsh winter, diesel price is rising because of extra demand as heating oil. If you are going in warmer climate, then expect diesel to be slightly cheaper, by around 5%.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

I did look at the price index for both fuels in Hungary and it seems as if they are almost the same price. Since the cars are significantly more costly I doubt that using the less expensive fuel in this case will cover the extra cost.

Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In France, gazole was less expensive than gas.
Be sure to put the right one in your car. We didn't once and we had to have it siphened.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM

My understanding is that gazole prices have pretty much risen in recent years to be almost comparable to gas prices, but you still get better mileage with a diesel. If you're driving a lot, it makes sense to get a diesel. Then again, you can't normally get a diesel, at least in France, for a very small car, like, say, a Clio. At least that's been my experience.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM

To work out if a diesel car will work out cheaper, first calculate your total fuel cost using either fuel, assuming a diesel car is on average around 20% more fuel efficient, and then compare any saving with the difference in rental cost.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

StCirq. Last year, in France, we actually got a Smart Car which was very small and was a diesel. We just got it by chance. It was an automatic.

cigalechanta. That always worries me. The first two or three times we fill up I check and recheck. Thankfully, it has never happened.

Alec. Great information, the %. This will only work if we go with the one company so far as they are the only ones who will guarantee a diesel. Their prices are pretty competitive, though. So it might be worth it.

It would be about E15 per day more than the unleaded one. For the smallest car, that is. The diesel smallest is a Smart Car.

I would have to estimate the total mileage we plan to travel. Well, I would do it as close as I can. And then see how many liters I would need depending on how many miles the car would get per liter. And the diesel would get 20% more miles per liter.

Wow. My head is starting to hurt already. I don't really think the 20% will make up for the extra cost per day. In Portugal, in August, diesel was almost $2.00 per gallon less than unleaded. Given the difference in cost and the better gas mileage it was really worth it. But in Hungary, that will not be the case.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We always rented small cars.
sher, it usually says (but very tiny) on the gas cap.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

cigalechanta. I never noticed that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -