Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accomodation near St Barts Hospital London?

Sep 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Hoping you all can help.
I need to find accomodation for 4 or 5 nights near
St Bart's Hospital
West Smithfield
London EC1A 7BE

My budget is about $150 per night.

Sep 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Do you need to stay right near the hospital, or do you just want a place w/ convenient transport? St Bartholomew's is near St Paul's tube station - so you could stay anywhere along the Central line and not have any line changes/transfers.

Sep 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. My first post was so terse (due to stress) that I was about to write another post apologising for my bad manners!

We do not need to be right next to the hospital...somewhere convenient without too many transfers would be wonderful. I may need somewhere with internet access so I can contact everyone at home to let them know how things are going. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Sep 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Is that $150 (£73) for a double?

I usually rent flats or go w/ priveline so unfortunately I don't have specific recommendations for hotels in that price range. but if you stay in Bayswater, near Oxford street, or around Tottenham Ct Rd/Holborn you'd be right on the central line and would not have to transfer tube lines. Hopefully someone else w/ specific recs will see your thread.

re the internet access - at that rate you might not get internet -- but not to worry. There are lots of internet cafes where you can just pop in for a few minutes.

Hope things turn out OK.
Sep 30th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Reading between the lines I'm guessing you are visiting someone in the hospital.

Ask the hospital they MAY have accommodation in the hospital. When I worked in Oxford the hospital provided a furnished flat for relatives. It was provided free of charge.

If they don't have anything then they may have some suggestions.

you need to contact PALS - patient advice and liaison service.

020 7943 1335 [email protected]

Their job is to represent patients, look after their interests and suggest improvements. They also handle any complaints.

good luck
Oct 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, that info is very helpful.

I have never used priceline and admit to being a bit nervous about doing so.

If you have some suggestions please let me know, even if they are higher than my price range.
Oct 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM

If you don't mind taking a tube, anywhere along Central Line. If you want somewhere closer/walking distance, you might want to check Club Quarters in St. Paul's. Rooms are small-ish but about 10min walk from Barts. Should be within your budget.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions!

Club Quarters looked good but it's booked for some of the nights.

I have someone inquiring about Gloucester House for us.

What about the Holiday Inn Express - Old Street? I can get a double room for GBP79 (except for one night when the rate goes up to 129). I mst admit ti being a little put off by the staff when I called to enquire about a rollaway bed for an extra person for two nights.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:32 PM

Never stepped inside but Holiday Inn nr Old St looks rather grubby. There are two Club Quarters--another one is also in City near Leadenhall Mkt. Did you try them? Probably about 20-25min walk from Barts.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

W9London - thank you, will take a look at that one!

Also considering 202 apartments which are near Notting Hill tube station, a few stops from St. Pauls.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:44 AM

Notting Hill is a very nice area, strongly recommend it. No tube change from St Paul on Central Line, but it is on the western side of central London (as opposed to Barts in the eastern part). It's not "a few stops"--9 stops to be exact, would take about 15-20min.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

I have booked 202 Apartments! It's not fancy but should suit our needs just fine. We will get Oyster cards and I have printed out copies of the map and journey planner. you're right, 20 minutes is how long it would take!
Thanks for your help!