Accommodations in Edinburgh, Inverness, Fort William/Glencoe

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Scotland in July.

We have a basic itinerary planned out with stops in Edinburgh (two nights), Inverness (2 nights) and either Fort William or Glencoe (1 night).

I'm looking for either recommendations for specific hotels or B&Bs, or what neighborhoods we should focus on or avoid. We do not need anything fancy or high end.

Thank you!
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I only have time for a quick reply right now since I'm running late.

Fancy/high end don't help , we need an actual budget. Of the three towns - would not stay in 2 of them myself. Neither Inverness or ft William. My go-to p,ace in Glencoe is usually here https://www.clachaig.com/. But that depends on your budget. Near Inverness is fine, IN Inverness - not so much.
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:01 PM

i love love loved my little room in edinburgh at the 'royal overseas club'. it used to be a private club, long ago. pretty inexpensive. a little 'dusty'... i don't mean dirty in any way... just not at all modern. no matching furniture. but you can get the most amazing view of the castle from your room... and from the breakfast room. breakfasts were great. it is so very central... trams stop right in front from airport etc. look at tripadvisor and you can see my old review (3 years ago?) and newer ones.
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:22 AM

Agree 100% with Janis on Inverness and Ft William unless you are mountain climbers or there to ride trains.
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

We are hoping to not have to spend more than £100 per night, if at all possible.

I would be open to suggestions outside of Inverness, if there is nothing in the city itself.

The Fort William/Glencoe hotel is mainly just a stopover. We are hoping to do the Jacobite Steam Train on afternoon, so we wouldn't return from that until 8:30 pm, then the next morning we are going on to Stirling. I have heard that Fort William isn't anything special, But we just need a place to sleep for the night.

I will have to look more into the Chlachaig Inn. The Royal Overseas Club looks awesome, but sadly, they are booked for the night we will be there.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:33 AM

Here is a review of an B&B that I posted in May, 2010. I recommended this place on a different thread yesterday - we very much enjoyed our stay there and recommend it without hesitation - unless you have a car, there is little to no nearby easily available parking.

14 Hart Street – Another gem. I have paid 5 quid to visit homes that did not match up to 14 Hart. This B&B is elegant, and artistically decorated with lovely antiques, beautiful prints on the walls, and fine plasterwork. Everything about 14 Hart reflects a refined taste. Sleeping rooms are semi below ground level. Ours was bright and had character with a fireplace and antique marquetry fireplace screen and a very pleasant view of the garden. In contrast to the sleeping room, the bathroom was large and very modern with a tower shower that I wish I had at home. The bed was comfortable with quality linens. Towels were of the best quality. Our room greeted us with a decanter of scotch and bottles of both red and white wine, as well as a welcoming note from the hosts - a different touch that was appreciated. It was altogether a brilliant place to spend four nights.

14 Hart is in a New Town residential neighborhood chock full of restaurants and pubs. We particularly enjoyed the food at the nearby Urban Angel. It is an easy walk to both the Waverly train station as well as the bus station. Princess Street was a pleasant ten minute walk, and the Royal mile about another 5-10 minutes past that.

Breakfast was tasty and plentiful. The porridge was particularly good as was the fresh fruit salad.

Hotels and B&Bs in Edinburgh tend to be expensive, thus the 80 pounds per night we paid was quite a bargain, particularly since it was a place that we so much enjoyed coming "home" to.

As in any B&B, it is the hosts that define the experience. James and Angela were the perfect hosts and we much enjoyed most interesting evening conversations with them. James is a teacher of History, while Angela teaches Greek and Latin. Nothing was too much trouble.
I hope you find these reviews useful.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:43 AM

We stayed at the Priestville Guest House in Edinburgh in July 2011, less than 90 quid/night, with a huge cooked breakfast which kept us going till late afternoon. The bus stop is a couple of minutes away and from there you can get anywhere you want pretty quickly. One evening we walked back from the Royal Mile, about 20-25 mins. Trina and Colin are a delightful couple, you could email them for prices. [email protected]
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:30 AM

You have 5 nights? So day 1 you arrive in Edinburgh at some point and then stay 2 nights. That means you will spend no more than 1.5 days in Edinburgh.

Then on day 3 you will move to Inverness? Using what means of transportation? The train? Then you will spend 1.5 days in that area before going to Ft. William/Glencoe for 1 night?

Where is the day you will go on the Jacobite steam train to Mallaig and return? On what day will you go to Stirling? Where are you going after this 5 days,from where and how?

It isn't making any sense. Lay out what you expect to do each day for your 5 days. You have not described a clear itinerary at all.
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Day 1, We plan on taking a train from Liverpool to Edinburgh, arriving early afternoon. We'll have all afternoon/evening, plus the following day all day to explore. We were planning on Edinburgh Castle and Palace of Holyroodhouse for sure, and are open to whatever else we can fit in.

The next morning (day 3) we will rent a car for the rest of our trip, and drive towards Inverness. We wanted to stop at Scone Palace and Blair Castle along they way. While in Inverness, we were thinking of going to Culloden, Fort George, and whatever else in that area that we have time to see.

Day 5, we will leave Inverness, with a short stop at Urquhart Castle. The afternoon Jacobite Steam Train is at 2:30. We haven't decided if we will take that round trip, in which case we will return at 8:30, or if we will take that one way, and take a regular train back to Ft William. That would return by 7:37. This is where we would stay either in Ft William or Glencoe, or wherever we find.

Day 6 we will head towards Stirling, with a stop to see Doune Castle. We are planning on staying overnight just outside Stirling, and will depart from Edinburgh for home the following morning.
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:51 PM

We also liked the Clachaig Hotel in Glencoe and breakfast is included. The dinner there is good- not sure what other options for dinner would be in Glencoe. I think we shared a table with a group of photographers--the atmosphere is fun and friendly. The Royal Britannia Yacht is not to be missed if you can possibly squeeze it in. I was underwhelmed by Holyrood Palace--a bit drab. Also in Edinburgh The National Museum of Scotland is excellent--and free.
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:48 AM

I could almost wonder if you are planning to use a stopwatch on this trip sparkypink. OK, that's an exaggeration but not by much.

You will have one day plus a couple of hours in Edinburgh, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe with a great deal of interst to most tourists.

Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace need almost an entire day just for the two of them. Other things of interest off the Royal Mile between themm can easily take up another full day.

Some highlights would be Lady Stair's Close; the Writers Museum; Gladstone's Land; St. Giles Cathedral; the Heart of Midlothian; John Knox's house; Museum of Childhood; The People's Story museum; the Museum of Edinburgh; Canongate Cemetery; White Horse Close; the Scottish Parliament and finally Holyrood Palace.

Those are just my personal SHORT list of the Royal Mile. You can read a much fuller list here: http://www.bestofedinburgh.com/Page....tion=65&Page=1

Then there is Princes Street with its shops and the Walter Scott Monument; stopping for tea and a shortbread biscuit in the lounge of the Balmoral Hotel; Princes Street Gardens; the Scottish National Gallery; the National Museum of Scotland (also known as the Chambers Street Museum); the Royal Scottish Academy; the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art; the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.

Those are just the highlights or 'must sees' for those interested in galleries and museums.

We could move on to Calton Hill;, a walk up Arthur's Seat;, a visit to the Royal Yacht Britannia;, Rose Street;, Greyfriar's, George St. (lunch at Brown's is nice). I'm just getting started. http://www.planetware.com/i/map/SCO/edinburgh-map.jpg

You write, "We were planning on Edinburgh Castle and Palace of Holyroodhouse for sure, and are open to whatever else we can fit in."

Well, you can 'fit in' perhaps 2% of what is available.

My advice, forget 'seeing Scotland' and try 'seeing Edinburgh'. In travel as in many things, less is more. The less you move, the more you see/do. You do not have enough time to 'see Scotland' but you do have enough time to see a fair bit of Edinburgh, 'The Athens of the North'.
http://www.ewht.org.uk/visit/trails/athens-of-the-north
Even exploring the New Town can take up at least a day.
Old May 11th, 2014, 03:35 PM

If you had a week in Edinburgh, you might like to do many of the "must dos" above, but you needn't.

The first afternoon I would explore the main streets of he New Town from St Andrew Square to Charlotte Square. Next to the Georgian House Museum on Charlotte Square is the House of the First Minister, the head of the Scottish Government. Note the lack of visible security compared to the White House. At he opposite end of this area is Jenners Department Store. It looks the way a department store used to look and had, last time I was there a nice tea room for a break.

Start early the next day with a taxi to the Castle, walk down the hill to Holyrood House (make sure it is open) and along the way, see St Giles, the gallery in the Law Courts where the lawyers consult ( ask at the door - it is a very rare survival), the Heart of Midlothian (not much to see, like the Bastille), the outside of John Knox's House, which almost certainly wasn't, the Chapel Royal, the hideous Parliament building, and Holyrood Palace,

That's a day. If I had another day, I would visit the National Gallery and the Museum of Scotland, which is a brilliant museum. Greyfriars Church is across the corner, more important for its political and religious history than for Greyfriars Bobby, though he is cute!
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:54 PM

The point is they HAVE a week Ackislander. Of course they 'needn't' do anything. But if you do something, shouldn't you do it well?

I just get really tired of seeing people treat travel like fast food. In and out fast, never mind the content. Been there, done that, on to the next.
Old May 12th, 2014, 01:57 AM

Sorry, I thought they had a week for all of Scotland and only a day and a half in Edinburgh

I have a slightly different take on the city since I have relations there and visit frequently. With more time, I would certainly add your suggestions of the National Portrait Gallery and the Museum of Modern Art, though I remember it as being not easy to get to. I would add the Botanical Garden and Arthur's Seat but don't find Calton Hill interesting except historically. I don't think the shopping on Princes Street is anything special if you live in or near another large city, though Rose Street, just behind is an interesting walk, especially if you like pubs. Jenners is, of course, the exception. If they are good walkers, a stroll through Dean Village and another out near the Uni are worth it. If they are architecture fans, I would suggest a walking tour with a knowledgeable guide of the New Town and another of the Old Town, which would include the Lawnmarket and the Grass Market and maybe one of the lands.

Leith isn't as good as the locals think, though there are good places to eat there. I am off the Dwellings of the Rich and Famous these days, so I would give Britannia a miss, but I would recommend a stop at the Italian gourmet grocery Valvona and Crolla at the top of Leith Walk if only for the experience of hearing the clerks switch from Italian to Scots in the middle of a sentence, quite a shock to anyone who has been in the same kind of shop in Boston or New York.

It is a great city, but as with everywhere in Scotland, it is the wonderful Scots who make the place.
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Ackislander, you are correct. We will have about a week in Scotland, with a day and a half in Edinburgh.

I really appreciate all the advice. Thank you all!
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:51 AM

I didn't mean to mislead you Ackislander. They have a week which they have CHOSEN to spend in the way they have chosen to spend it. They could CHOOSE to spend it all in Edinburgh or they could choose to leave out Edinburgh and just do the rest.

We often read things like, 'we ONLY have a week so this is our plan'. They then go on to list places with 1 night here and 2 there.

The assumption is that you must fit all those places into that week. It is indicative of a way of thinking that is very common. I'm not suggesting sparkypink or anyone else is any different than many others.

A phrase used above by sparkypink is, " whatever else in that area that we have time to see." But what does that really mean?

What people DON'T do is look at how much time they need to determine what they 'have time to see'. You cannot 'see Edinburgh in a day and a half. It's as simple as that. You can only see a few things in Edinburgh in that amount of time. To be able to say you have seen/done Edinburgh you need at least 3-5 days to do more than a very superficial visit.

So when someone writes, Edinburgh, 1.5 days. In fact what they are saying is they DO NOT plan to spend enough time in Edinburgh. They write, "what we have time to see" while in fact NOT allowing enough time to see. It's a contradiction.

The OP has 6 days. I could understand anyone saying that is enough time to see Scone Palace, Blair Castle, Inverness, Culloden, Fort George, Urqhart Castle, Jacobite train, Ft. William, Doune Castle and Stirling. None of them require a lot of time as they are mostly single attractions that all need no more than a few hours each.

Or the OP has enough time to see Edinburgh. But not enough time to do both. That's all I am trying to point out to the OP and any other readers. There is no point in saying, "what we have time to see" if you are then going to not allow yourself enough time to see them.
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:58 AM

On a side note Ackislander, the Gallery of Modern Art is a bit out of the way but easy to get to for any tourist. There is a free shuttle bus between it and the National Gallery. Of course to see both of them is in fact likely to take up most of a day.
http://www.nationalgalleries.org/vis...e-gallery-bus/
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the priority is to see some of Scotland, with a couple of days in Edinburgh to see a couple of highlights. Nothing wrong with that. I have been to Edinburgh twice, both times for a week or so, and I haven't seen most of the things on the must-see list above. I didn't even go into the castle there. It was August, and I spent most of my time going to festival performances.

The Scottish countryside is wonderful. If your priority is to drive around it, then that sounds like a fine thing to do, with a couple of city days tagged on.

That said, beware of the quick visit planned for Urquhart Castle. If there are significant numbers of visitors, it may be hard to park (there was a parking problem when we were there in August) and you may have to wait for a spot. Then the visitor center is a bit of a walk from the castle itself, and it takes time to tour the extensive ruins. Leave plenty of time.
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:39 AM

It depends very much on your interests, surely? I recently spent 2 days in Edinburgh and that was enough for me. Visiting the castle, walking through the Old Town to Holyrood Palace (underwhelming, imo), touring the parliament to see how our money was misspent, bus out to the Royal Yacht Britannia, walking through New Town, and nightly trawls of Rose Street gave me everything I wanted to see and do. I may go back one day I may not, but as far as I'm concerned I've "done" Edinburgh as much as I wanted to.
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

I really do understand that my short time in Edinburgh isn't enough time to really see Edinburgh. I lived in Madrid for six months and didn't get to see everything there. Heck, I went to the Prado Museum 2-3 times a month for an art class while I was there and didn't even get to see everything there. So yes, I get it. Would I like to spend more time in each location, to really get a feel for it? Sure. Of course. Who wouldn't? But the reality is, we have six days, and we want to see as much as possible, even if that just means highlights of certain areas, which I know is not a popular opinion on many of the travel boards. I'm ok with that.

I do appreciate all the links provided and will definitely take some time to look them all over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -