Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Accommodations in Bologna…HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/accommodations-in-bologna-help-408659/)

jdc26 Aug 6th, 2008 07:16 AM

Accommodations in Bologna…HELP!

I need your help finding lodgings in Bologna from 9/30-10/2. Willing to pay $150.00 or less. I will be leaving Nice en-route to Florence with a stop in Bologna for 2 nights. I know that this may not be a good time to find availability in Bologna because of the Trade Shows and I may be out of luck as they’re hosting a Trade Show for “CERSAIE International exhibition of ceramic tile and bathroom furnishings” from the 9/30th-10/4th. I’ve made inquiries at these hotels from various Fodorites recommendations with no luck. I’m still waiting for a response from Albergo Central (sp?). My search continues.

HOTEL AEMILIA
MERCURE BOLOGNA HOTEL
HOTEL TRE VECCHI
Best Western hotels
Casa Ilaria
STERLINO
Hotel Paradise
Sofitel
Zanhotel Regina
Al Cappello Rosso Hotel
Hotel Porta San Mamolo

Additionally, I will be taking the train from Nice to Bologna. Which is the best way to do this: Nice to Voghera; Voghera to Bologna or Nice to Milan to Bologna? And should I buy my ticket before leaving the US or wait until I arrive in Nice?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/recommendations.

jdc

Michael Aug 6th, 2008 07:26 AM

Try the B&B Miramonte.

zeppole Aug 6th, 2008 07:27 AM

Have you tried using www.venere.com to find a hotel?

What is the difference between your train routes? Don't you just want the faster one?

zeppole Aug 6th, 2008 07:36 AM

This might help you if Venere's hotels are out of your price range

http://www.bbplanet.it/accommodations/bologna/

jdc26 Aug 6th, 2008 08:34 AM

Thanks Michael, I will look into that.

Thanks Zeppole:

I tried tripadvisor.com, kayak.com, Expedia.com, etc., but not Venere. I will check with them. As to the difference between the train routes, which is more convenient and of course fastest.

tks,

jdc

jdc26 Aug 7th, 2008 03:53 AM

It's turning out like I thought, not having any luck with accomodations in Bologna. I'm still waiting for reply from two hotels...keep your fingers and toes curl for me.

Can anyone suggest another city that I can spend 2 nights on my way to Florence outside of Bologna? I was thinking Lucca. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
jdc

zeppole Aug 7th, 2008 04:05 AM

How about Ferrara?

Are you at all interested in seeing Ravenna?

zeppole Aug 7th, 2008 04:14 AM

I just re-read your itinerary.

You are going from Nice to Firenze -- with a stop in Bologna?

Were you taking the detour to Bologna to enjoy Bolognese food? In that case, go the extra 20 minutes to Ferrara.

Does a stop in Liguria interest you? A detour to Parma or Modena? Torino -- a great town?

I'm not such a fan of Lucca as a two-night destination.

jdc26 Aug 7th, 2008 04:15 AM

As I've never been to either of them, I'm open to anyone if I can find accomodations. Which do you prefer?

Thanks,
jdc

jdc26 Aug 7th, 2008 04:20 AM

Zeppole, Yes, Nice to Firenze my final destination (I realize that means bypassing Firenze), but I'm meeting a friend and we decided that since they've never been to Bologna (I have), it would be best to meet there, but seeing that I can't find any accommodations, I'm open to other cities.

Thanks,
jdc

zeppole Aug 7th, 2008 04:47 AM

Then I suggeset Ferrara, which means you can both easily get in and out of Bologna -- and you'll have a new town to enjoy.

zeppole Aug 7th, 2008 04:49 AM

But do google up pictures of Ravenna and info, and see if maybe you and your friend would be interested, even as a day trip. It's a fantastic art site, one of the greatest in Italy.

Raras Aug 7th, 2008 07:04 AM

hello jdc, I have tried to write you many times at your email address after your request for a room in Bologna, but all my emails come back undelivered.
We have space at our apartment in Bologna, pls write us again with another email addfress, if possible.
Thank you very much.

jdc26 Aug 7th, 2008 08:15 AM

Thank Raras. I will shortly.

jdc26 Aug 8th, 2008 07:03 AM

Zeppole:

Wanted to let you know that my friend and I decided to meet in Milano instead of Bologna which is better for me since I would have to transfer from Nice at Milano on my way to Firenze. So we'll spend a couple days there.

Thank you for your suggestions/recommedations.

jdc

zeppole Aug 8th, 2008 07:06 AM

What can I say except:

I hope you already found a hotel room! (not always easy in Milano).

If you find yourselves at a momentarily loss as to what to do, the Pinocoteca Ambrosiana, near the Duomo, is a truly enjoyable museum.

jdc26 Aug 8th, 2008 07:12 AM

Yes, luckily we've found a hotel and thank you for your suggestion on what to do. We will definitely find some time to visit the Pinocoteca Ambrosiana museum while there.

jdc