Accommodation with 2 Adults and 2 Teens

Dec 21st, 2004, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Accommodation with 2 Adults and 2 Teens

I am beginning our planning for a European vacation in July-August 2005. Our largest barrier seems to be finding suitable accommodation for 4 people. Do I have to book two rooms for 4 people? Finding one room for 4 people has never been a major problem in other parts of the world. My only solution seems to be hostels (possible family rooms) or two rooms (in a hotel like the Etap chain). Any suggestions?
Dec 21st, 2004, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Just to add a bit of info, we are going to travel Eurail, and intend to travel into parts of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and possibly Czech Republic over 5 to 6 weeks.
Dec 21st, 2004, 10:35 PM
mjs

Planning a trip with four people to Europe can be very time consuming if you wish to find decent lodging at a decent price by staying in one room instead of two. There are some hotels in many areas of Europe that do have a quad but they are certainly not common. Such rooms are often not listed in the guide books and often the only way to find them is to ask the hotel directly. My experience tends to suggest that this situation exists in many large cities and in most areas of the world that have a high density of population. This is especially true for Europe and Asia. If cost is not a major issue than booking two rooms is the simple answer. Unfortunately you will be going to Europe in the high season so discounts for hotels will not be common and often rooms in the more popular hotels may be difficult to get. Also Switzerland is quite expensive and Germany and Austria are not inexpensive. The tourist parts of Italy such as Venice can also be quite pricey. If you are US dolllar based you also face a poor exchange rate at the present. The fact that you are planning on using a Eurail pass tends to suggest that you will be moving around alot which means you will have to find many lodgings that suit you which complicates your planning further.
I can think of several suggestions for you in your planning. Consider an apartment or aparthotel in 5 to 8 different locations and do day trips in the surrounding areas. This can decrease your lodging and meals costs. Investigate University dormitories which are often rented out when the University is not in secession. These dorms tend to be clean, decently priced and relatively spacious in comparison to hotels. There are often kitchen and laundry facilities. Have stayed in several such dorms many years ago in Copenhaven, Vienna, Paris, Edinburgh, and London. Traveling more in the country than major cities can also cut costs but such traveling tends to be better served by a car than a train pass. Lastly, post specific questions here about lodging possibities in your planned destinations. Good luck.
Dec 21st, 2004, 10:59 PM

I don't know what your budget is. The only recent experience I have that seems relevant to your situation is in Prague (if indeed you will include the Czech Republic in your itinerary).

In September 2004 we stayed at the Artesse, which is an apartment-hotel. It cost 128 Euros a night for a one-bedroom apartment. Breakfast was included. The living room had a hide-a-bed couch that could have been used as a double bed if we'd liked. However, there were only two of us, so we didn't use the hide-a-bed.

It was a clean, comfortable, 3-star hotel. Our bathroom was very modern and spacious. There also was a kitchenette disguised as a large closet in the living room / dining room (the room that had the hide-a-bed couch in it).

The location was central enough that we accessed the entire historical centre of Prague and the Castle on foot, and yet we were just beyond the heavily touristed core of the city and escaped from the crowds when we went "home" at night.

While the hotel accepted Visa to hold our reservation, it did not accept payment by Visa. We had to pay cash. I wasn't impressed when I first heard that, but there turned out to be plenty of ATMs in Prague, and it worked out fine.

Also be aware of the cancellation policy at this or any other hotel. The Artesse's cancellation policy is pretty stringent.

Hope that helps.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:04 AM

We also travel with two teens and try to find quad rooms when possible - sometimes this means upgrading to a junior suite. Do you have any hotel points or frequent traveller programs that might help? Some best western chains have quad rooms, some starwood properties will also have them. I've seen rooms listed as 'quad' or 'family' as well. If you check the country's tourism website, you may also find some recommendations.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:12 AM
ira

Hi craig,

As noted, apartments, hostels, university dorms are all good ways to keep costs down.

>..we are going to travel Eurail,...<

Do you mean that you are planning on getting EurailPasses?

If so, enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com tosee if it will save you money. Remember to click "only if it saves me money".

Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM

The smaller European type hotels generally have only 1 or 2 quads. They rarely even mention quads on their websites or on booking sites. If you email hotels that you may be interested in directly, and ask how they can accommodate a family of 4, they will usually get back to you with an option.

I don't know what your price range is, but in Italy we stayed in these quads: FLorence-hotel Casci 2* (1 large room), Venice-Hotel FLora 3*(1 large room), ROme-Santa CHiara 3* (suite), Orvieto-Palazzo Piccolomini 4* (suite). All included breakfast, all were in good locations, and I would recommend each of them without hesitation. We've also found quads in Madrid, AMsterdam and Paris.