Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

accommodation recommendations night before flight out of Florence

May 7th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Friends,
I am finalizing our trip this December/January. On the last leg of the trip we are staying in Montepulciano. Rather than return the car to Rome and fly out of there - I am finding better departure times and more general convenience returning the car to Florence (rent in Rome) and then depart from Florence. Our likely departure time will be 9:55 in the morning - or thereabouts. In any event, a morning flight.

So the question I have is where to stay the night before? Some posts say near the airport for the convenience - while others say city center, just arrange for a cab the night before. We (family of 4 - parents, 2 teens) will likely come in from the countryside the morning before the flight, return the car and then tour Florence for the day before leaving the next morning.

Any suggestions - opinions? been there, done that?

I did a thread search but didn't find this issue addressed - forgive me if it has been.
May 7th, 2014, 06:26 AM

Try to get to Florence early in the day the day before your flight. Florence is a fabulous small city. Stay in the city centre. The cab ride to the airport is very short and should get you to the airport as early as you want to be there.
May 7th, 2014, 06:51 AM

You can stay in the center as in early morning the trip to the airport usually takes 20-25 minutes. I would leave by 7.30am and ask the hotel to reserve a taxi the day before.
May 7th, 2014, 07:03 AM

If you return the car to the airport (lets you avoid getting ticketed for crossing into ZTL zones in Florence)you can hop the shuttle bus into town. Just a few euro and 15 minutes or so. Taxis are a set fee also and not much more.
May 7th, 2014, 07:08 AM

I would drop the car in Chiusi (near Montepulciano) and take the train to Florence, but it depends on what company you are renting from. I don't see any point driving to Florence when you can take the train (about 1:45 travel time from Chiusi - 12€ or so).

http://www.aeroporto.firenze.it/en/p...port/taxi.html

http://www.aeroporto.firenze.it/en/p...rport/bus.html
May 7th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

City center it is!

We'll do as advised - get to Florence early morning the day before our flight, drop the car at the airport, hop a shuttle downtown, check in to our hotel (or at least dump bags) and then explore! I'm so glad to hear it's feasible - I really don't prefer staying near airports if I can help it. Especially in such a lovely city as Florence.

thanks all again for the useful advice. Soon I hope to post our entire plan for suggestions...
May 7th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

KYB,

thanks for the links - the train is an excellent idea as well.
May 7th, 2014, 08:29 AM

jujubean: I agree with others here. Stay in the city and have the hotel arrange an early morning taxi to the airport.

The train is a good idea, but so is driving to the airport and getting a shuttle or taxi to your hotel. I would parse out the time needed for each option before making my decision. You want to maximize your time Florence.
May 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM

If I understand you correctly, you will have a car when you leave Rome? If this is the case I would recommend returning the car in Rome, ( driving a car into Florence is a nightmare) you would have a much better time taking the high speed train from Rome to Florence. You will have that day and the rest of the night to explore Florence.

You could stay in the city center right near the train station, a great hotel across the street from the station is The Ambasciatori http://www.hotelambasciatori.net/, nice place, great rates and includes breakfast. We loved it.

Then in the morning all you have to do is walk across the street and catch a train to the airport.
May 7th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Brenk,

Yes we will pick up a car when we leave Rome. But we are not heading to Tuscany right off the bat. We are first going South to Pompeii and Paestum and then up to Tuscany for five days where we stay in Montepulciano and will travel to Volterra, Assisi and Siena among others. My husband and I travelled this area of Tuscany with a car 9 years ago (at that time we did drive into Florence without issues - but this is a different trip) and are excited to travel it with our kids now.

I will check out your suggestion for where to stay - thanks
May 7th, 2014, 06:07 PM

>>>If I understand you correctly, you will have a car when you leave Rome? If this is the case I would recommend returning the car in Rome, ( driving a car into Florence is a nightmare)<<<

No point in backtracking to Rome as it certainly wouldn't save any time. If they return the car at the airport, they won't be driving into the ZTL in Florence. The airport is outside the ZTL.

>>>at that time we did drive into Florence without issues<<<

Could be all the ZTL cameras didn't exist then, but you shouldn't have a problem returning at the airport.

You'll get more hotel suggestions if you state your budget.
May 8th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KY,

There have been so many threads on accommodations in Florence, I figured I would just check the threads, check the reviews and decide - in fact saw a post this morning that looked like a promising place. No sense adding yet another thread on places to stay in Florence!

And, you all have me thinking. I had not planned on Florence being a 'destination' of our trip so much as a departure city. Don't get me wrong - I love it, but only so much time exists. But now, I'm thinking since we'll be departing from Florence anyway, maybe I should add on another night and make it a destination - so we have at least the one full day there - and we ditch the car a day sooner.

we'll see. fortunately I have some time to decide.
May 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM

jujubean, I just returned from Italy and I always stay at the same hotel in the heart of Florence. It is just two minutes from the Duomo. They have quad rooms and some even with bathtubs. You can read the reviews here on TripAdvisor- they get consistently outstanding reviews and I can highly recommend them. Hotel Casci. http://www.hotelcasci.com/

Since you only have one day, you might want to ask them (or whatever hotel you choose) to make any reservations for the Uffizi or Accademia. They are always happy to do that. They will also arrange for your taxi the next morning.

Buon viaggio!
May 8th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Nice - thank you!
May 8th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Another vote for Hotel Casci.I am now in Florence at the wonderful family owned and operated Hotel Casci.
I was here last last year and on my return this year was given a beautiful welcome back by all.
May 8th, 2014, 01:12 PM

AND yet another vote for Hotel Casci. I have stayed there five times and they are excellent hosts, great location, spotlessly clean rooms. They have rooms large enough for 5 or even 6 guests. Highly recommended !!