Accommodation in Rhine & Mosel Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan for the next year a trip to Rhine Valley and Mosel Valley. We shall do this by train and we are interested to stay in nice pensiones (zimmerfrei or bed & breakfast) in Bacharach, Cochem or maybe Trier and Cologne.

Can somebody recommend nice accommodation in these places?

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:07 AM
aggiemom

topping for valtor

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:45 AM

All lovely places. We preferred Cochem for a breif stay. It is nestled right onn the Mosel. You did not mention a hotel, and I don't have info on your mentioned preferences, But, we did stay at a wonderful Hotel, reasonably priced, and VERY unique. the inn keeper had an EXENSIVE collection of antique armor,and ancient weaponry and icons set up all over the hotel. He had a cute dog that had run of the place and 2 restaurants with views of the river. Request a room with a balcony and river view if you stay here.
It is called the Burg Hotel
tel - 02671/71-17
Moselprommenade 23

Hve fun!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:51 AM

I'll second bit about Cochem being the nicest of these places to stay - Bacharach 2nd. cochem - picture postcard town with castle of your dreams protruding from a vineyard-clad hill overlooking the deep Mosel Valley. Great train service.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for answering me.
I noted the hotel name.
I was glad to hear that the train service is good, as we plan to travel by train.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Author: Travelnut
Date: 07/27/2004, 11:15 am
Message: Last September, we stayed 2 nights in the tiny town of St Goar at Hotel am Markt. The hotel has a nice restaurant on the ground floor and simple but comfortable rooms above. We paid 59Euro for a 'king' bed that had separate duvets for cover. Our window opened out to the church square and Rhine view, where we could see a castle above the town across the river. There was a little traffic noise (with our window open at night) - I can't even remember now if the church bells rang, I think they did but not often. There was no train noise at all. St Goar itself is too small for two days, but after we explored the Rheinfels ruins, we spent most of a day in Boppard; took the chair lift and rented bikes to ride along the Rhine a couple of miles.
http://www.hotelammarkt1.de/main.htm

I originally had tried to book a hotel in Boppard but could not find availability because it was a wine festival weekend there. These are three hotels I was looking at but could not get in:
( Also, order brochures from the website, very helpful:
http://www.boppard.de/2001/html/home_english3.htm )

Hotel Gunther Garni * * *
Rheinallee 40 - Boppard, Rhineland-Palatinate 56154
http://www.hotelguenther.de/

Best Western Bellevue Rheinhotel* * *
Rheinallee 41/42 - Boppard, Rhineland-Palatinate 56154
http://www.bellevue-boppard.de/

Hotel Ebertor * * *
Heerstraße 172 - 56154 Boppard am Rhein
Telefon: 06742-8070 Telefax: 06742-807100
e-mail: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
http://www.hotel-ebertor.de/

I have photos of St Goar and Boppard on Ofoto.com if you would like to see, including pictures of Hotel am Markt in St Goar (and a fun chairlift in Boppard):
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=ch4vgx4...0&y=75r72h
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I like Cochem best. Train connections are great, gorgeous town.

I usually stay at the Mattes family B&B on Loehrstrasse in Cochem - just a few blocks from the Marktplatz. Quiet, homey, friendly, very reasonable, includes a living room with balcony.

Frau Hilken - two doors down - has a nice place as well. Small rooms but a generous breakfast and great coffee. I think she's still listed with the Cochem tourist office.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut, thank you very much for sharing your photo album. The images speek more than words and I now feel that I can not wait till next year!
We intend to visit Koblenz, St. Goar, Boppard, and now, after we saw the photos we shall include also Rheinfels ruins and the chairlift in Boppard.

Very nice photos and we liked to see again some places which we visited some years ago, like Lucerne, Basel, Friburg and Amsterdam.

By the way, where you stayed in Cologne? We shall stay there for 3 nights. Is it a good idea to have a hotel near the Dom?

Thank you again,
Liliana
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Russ, I thank you very much for B&B addresses in Cochem. I shall check them in internet. We always prefer in Germany in small towns to stay at B&B instead in hotels.

Thanks a lot, Liliana
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Stayed in the hotel on the Rhein in Assmannshausen.

Not the very expensive one, but the one just a few doors down.

That might be a good fit.

Anybody out there know the name of the hotel. Alot has been written about the hotel.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM

bookmarking
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Valtor, if I said that on my last trip in the US I stayed in "vacancies", I would sound kind of ignorant.

Zimmer is the German word for room; frei means available. Thus the sign they put outside, Zimmerfrei, means they have a room available, or a vacancy.

The proper word would be "privat Zimmer". I have stayed in plenty of privat Zimmer. I love the intimacy of staying in a home with only a few rooms.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:06 AM

valtor,
I spent a couple of days in Trier in 2003. It was early March, with rainy weather, a bit of snow, but with sun in between to make it pleasant. I stayed at the Romischer Kaiser hotel and was very pleased with it - I think I paid around 75E a night. The Romischer Kaiser is right down in the center of town and just around the corner from the Porta Nigra (gate/remnant of Roman wall from ancient Trier). I had a lovely mini-suite with a view of the Dom from the bathroom. The hotel's restaurant was very good too. I loved Trier. My favorite "Trier moment" was a walk in the cloister gardens in back of the Dom.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Dovima. We booked a pension in Cochem, where we shall stay for 5 nights. We plan to visit from there Louxemburg, Trier, Burg Eltz castle, Koblenz. We shall be there around 10 May, and hope to have no rain!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Valtor

If you are interested in low cost accommodation in Bacharach I would suggest you consider the Jugendburg Stahleck. It is a youth hostel (which of course caters to all ages) located in the castle which overlooks Bacharach. Cost is minimal and the view is fantastic. There is a cafeteria. It requires a hike up the hill if you do not drive. There are taxis available to deliver you from the train station if needed. We have stayed there three times over the past 5 years and each has been a real experience. Good luck to you on your visit next year.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM
JN

Russ, do you have a web address for the Mattes family B&B by any chance?
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM

for winnepeg...I believe the hotel is "Hotel Cafe Post" which was highly recommended by now deceased longtime poster Wes Fowler. We stayed 2 nights there and it was a wonderful place.