Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

accommodation in London , travel from Barcelona to London

Old Apr 6th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is heading to Europe, starting in France, then on to Barcelona and spending 2 or 3 nights in London before returning to Barbados. We have 8 children, 3 young adults, then 15, 12, 9,6 and 3yr old. I would love recommendations of places to stay. I would also appreciate suggestions as to reliable low cost airlines for travel from Barcelona to London.

I have looked at things to do in London, any suggestions particular to traveling with children? We will definitely do the Tower, and would like to go to the theatre, have not planned much else as yet, we don't want to over schedule. Looking forward to your advice!
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 10:07 PM

So tell us a couple more things.

How many people total? I think it's 10, but my addition isn't that great.

When are your going?

How many days in Europe, not including plane flights?

What is the initial itinerary you've planned?

Take a look at Easyjet. Make sure you meet their criteria for checked baggage and carry-ons.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 02:54 AM

THis is a good site for activities for kids...also accommodations, things to see for free etc...
http://www.londontown.com/attraction...hType=category

Easyjet is a good option for flights, but be sure you understand the restrictions like luggage weights. Also check out traditional airlines like BA, if you book far enough in advance you can get good prices, especially once you add on all the extra costs for the low cost airlines.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link and Easy jet suggestion.

I began researching this trip several months ago. We fly into London arriving early on July 5th. My family has voted to take the train across to Paris. We arrive London about 6am, what would be a reasonable time to book the train? We will be travelling as light as possible for a group our size.

We spend a week in Paris, then a week in Sarlat, another week near Nay which is close to Lourdes. We leave there July 27 drive to Perpignan drop off the cars and take the train to Barcelona for a week. We fly from Barcelona either August 5th or 6th, since we fly through London we decided to stop over for 2 or 3 days.

London was not part of the original itinerary so I am now trying to plan it, I have spent many hours reading posts about the other locations. Since London is coming at the end of a long trip I think we will be looking for a few enjoyable sights, rather than doing as much as possible. My husband is interested in world war 2, but we need to balance that with things for the whole family. I know we want to take them to the Tower of London, but haven't got much further than that as yet.

In France and Barcelona we are staying in apartments/villas rather than hotels, but they often have minimum stays. Can we book something like that for 2 or 3 nights in London?
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you land at LHR? Sorry, but moving a crowd of 10 across all of London to take the Eurostar from St Pancras really doesn't make sense.

You will already be AT the airport, so just book a flight on to Paris. Getting to St Pancras involves either a looong tube journey (over an hour) , or a VERY expensive train ride to Paddington and then a schlepp to the tube and on to St Pancras (again about an hour total), or a car service but they would need a bus to carry ten of you and would take a long time in the morning commute.

Just relax at LHR and fly on to Paris around noon.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM

For your group size I really think a flat rental would be the best for you. There are flats that allow 3 days minimum stay.
The cost is far more affordable since you’re renting an apartment where the whole family can stay, the place is so much bigger than just a hotel room (a major consideration if your family is large), and you will have more privacy.

You can look up boutique london lets (www.boutiquelondonlets.com) or one fine stay.

As for places of interest in London, the kids may enjoy Science Museum, Diana Memorial Playground,Museum of London Docklands. If you want more history, Museum of London, Bank of England Museum and the Barbican Centre