Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accademia Gallery and the Uffizi Gallery Guided Tour?

Feb 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

In Florence I want to visit the Accademia Gallery and the Uffizi Gallery. Would this be better done by Guided Tour? I was thinking that I would get more from the visit by guided tour than I would self guided. I am interested in the history of the art and not just roaming through looking at peices without the context.

Would you recommend a Guided Tour?

and if so
any guided tours in particular?

I would appreciate any advice
thanks
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM

we did both on our own with two different guide books - Rick Steves and Insight guides. The books will give you a lot of info and/or rent an audio guide for the museum.
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM

The Accademia is small in comparison to the Uffizi. A guidebook would do fine.

Using a detailed guidebook, the audioguide, or a guided tour would be helpful in the Uffizi--the art labels are particularly uninformative.
Feb 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Hi

My wife and I took a guided tour of the Uffizi but that was mainly to skip the lines But it is always nice to get a bit of information beside the stuff you find in a guidebook. Here is my Florence trip report with pictures http://gardkarlsen.com/florence_italy_travelogue.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:07 AM
kja

Hi, gaznic -

As others noted, the Accademia is small and easily visited on your own.

I found the audio guide to the Uffizi very useful. I prefer audio guides to guided tours because I want to see things at my own pace - but that's a matter of individual preference.

Hope that helps!
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi, this will be our first visit and I am tour and audio guide naive! I am really after the history and context of the exhibits. Would I get just as much information from an audio guide as I would from a guided tour?
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Jed

We took the audio guide at Uffizi, and were happy with the info provided. As mentioned, you can go at tour own pace. If you take a personal guide, (I don't know if available), it might be good, but a group guide might be hard to hear and follow, since it is usually crowded.

gard - would you recommend the guided tour? Over the audio tour?

We skipped the entrance lines by having advance tickets.
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM

I'd suggest a three pronged approach at Uffizi - take a couple of books and get the audio guide. that way, you're covered no matter what!
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Hi

I normally prefer the guided tours over an audio tour. But audio tours can also contain a lot of information of course and we used this at Accademia.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:02 PM

My little tip has nothing to do with guided tours etc, but we we starving at one point in the Uffizi and we could only find one cafe and it was filled with a tour group. So I would pack a little snack and hope that I could get away with eating it out one of the corridors.
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:57 AM

Hi ganzic,

the best place to start is the web-site for the uffizi and accademia at www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english. [if you google, you'll get lots of agencies - the real one is very difficult to find]

if you want to book tickets for either museum, this is the place to do it - just 3E booking fee per ticket. you need to get there about 15 minutes early to collect the tickets, and then queue up again - this is italy!

to avoid the problems with the uffizi cafe mentioned by another poster, you could get an early slot [ours was for 8.30 I think] then after viewing the ist limb of the gallery [when the japanese groups will be beginning to catch you up] walk swiftly round to the end of the other limb where you wil find the cafe. we had a lovely late al fresco breakfast of croissants, coffee and orange juice before looking at the rest of teh gallery.

as for the accademia you won't need longer that about an hour. if you get there late, you'll probably not havr to queue anyway, but booking is not problem using the web-site as above. after seeing David, walk up into the square and catch a bus up to Fiesole.

regards, ann
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Hi Annhig, I wish we had known that info re the cafe (which sounds lovely)and an early booking when we were there. We missed lunch to be on time for our 12.30 booking and we just about faint with hunger by the time we left! It was worth it though!
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Is it necessary to book in advance if I'm going in mid February?
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Hi, bubbly,

it's up to you of course. for the accademia you can probably wing it, especailly if you turn up very early or very late.

for the uffizi, although we were there in November, the queue at 8.30 was vast - back past the 11am mark. [yes, it's a bit like disney].

as you don't pay until you pick up the tickets, if you chose not to go or go at a different time, you wouldn't lose anything. But it would be a good insurance. AS I said above we had and early mornnig slot, had breakfast half way round, and we were finished by about 12 noon, though that included a very good leonardo exhibition as well, which I suspect may have moved on by now.

once you have seen your fill, if you have started early you can have a nice lunch somewhere nearby, and have the pm free.

regards, ann
Feb 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM

regarding booking tickets in advance....yes, do it. You could run into any number of issues. I just emailed our hotel and asked them to book the tickets for us; they were included on our hotel bill and waiting when we arrived. Fast,easy and painless. I tried working through the various website and was not getting anywhere; the hotel had it done in less than an hour from when they rec'd the email.