Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accademia, Borghese gallery need your opinion please

May 2nd, 2001, 06:07 AM
nancy

Hi, could someone please suggest a time preference to see the statue of David in the month of July. I also need to know where can I make advance reservations for the Borghese Gallery in Rome and How much time do we need for each one. Would you suggest to do this first thing in the morning? We are travelling with 3 teenagers and I am trying to get as organized as possible. Are there any other sights you would recommend in getting advance reservations besides the Uffizi gallery, Accademia and Borghese gallery that is a must in your opinion. Thanks

May 2nd, 2001, 06:19 AM
Roberta

HI nancy...sorry I can't answer too big a part of your question(s)...but I did specifically read in guide articles, to get to the Uffizzi early morning for least people traffic.
Maybe what you can help me with is, how do I GET tickets in advance for the Uffizzi...and, boy I'm misinfomed, isn't the Accademia in the Uffizzi? Or do I need separate tickets?
I did try weekendaFirenze.com, but the "buy Uffizzi tickets in advance" option keeps crashing...can never get to the end of the procedure.
thank you so much in advance for any info.

May 2nd, 2001, 06:47 AM
Paulo

Nancy,

The average time it takes to go through the museums is a question of personal matter. Anyway, though most probably my experience can't be labeled as standard, it may be used as an indication:

Borghese: 2 hours
Accademia: 1 hour
Uffizi: 3 hours

Regarding the David, I never really had much problems seeing it in July. I never reserved and didn't have to wait for more than 15 minutes. Both times we went to the Accademia in the afternoon and we did it when it was on our it was on our strolling itinerary for the day, that is, we never thought of it in any special way, with a fixed time slot dedicated to it. It just happened naturally. Last time in Rome I also didn't have any problems with the Borghese. I just made the hotel desk call them for a reservation in the morning of the day before the visit. I don't have the number readily available ... it sure may be found with an appropriate search in this forum.

Roberta, you indeed need separate tickets to the Accademia and Uffizi. One has nothing to do with the other.

Paulo

May 2nd, 2001, 06:55 AM
nancy

Hi Roberta,
Everything I read clearly indicates that the Uffizi Gallery and Galleria Dell'Accademia where the statue of David is are 2 separate museums. You can Make advance reservations on line at www.weekendafirenze.com for both places I believe, however I will be calling in Italy instead because booking on-line has a higher service fee. You can call for the Uffizi at 011 39 055 294883 and the Accademia 011 39 055 2388-609/612. You can reserve them by giving a date and time you want and you pay when you get there. I hope this helps. Ciao

May 2nd, 2001, 06:59 AM
Nancy

Thanks Paolo this helps me plan my sighseeing schedule better. I look forward visiting these places with my girls for the first time.
Ciao

May 2nd, 2001, 07:00 AM
Marj

There is a website for the Borghese Gallery where you can make reservations on-line. There is also a number you can call when you get to Rome, with an English speaking operator to make reservations. In March we got reservations the day before. In the high season I would suggest to do it at least a few days in advance. They are necessary and they do book up. The museum strictly limits the number of people entering. I don't have the specifics but if you do a regular internet search on 'Borghese Gallery reservations' you should be able to find it. Tour books may also have that info. If I remember corrrectly, reservation are given every 2 hours starting at 9am.

May 2nd, 2001, 07:02 AM
elaine

Hi
The Uffizi and the Accademia are separate museums.

Sorry to hear of probs with the weekendafirenze site. Try emailing them with your request--when I used them they were responsive within a couple of days.

For Uffizi and Accademia tickets you can try asking your hotel to arrange. Or call the Uffizi directly during their office hours, choose a time, leave your name, and they'll give you a 15-minute entry time window and a five-digit confirmation number. 055-294-883 Mon.-Fri. 8:30-18:30, Sat 9:00-12:00). At the Uffizi, walk past the long line to the entrance for those with reservations, give
your name and number, pay (cash only), and walk right in.

Re the Borghese
From the museum's website www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/
edefault.htm
"How can I book tickets on-line?
Please, don't ask us to book tickets or guided visits, use instead the ticket service site :
www.ticketeria.it"

I believe you can also call them to arrange tickets
Information, booking: tel. 06-32810
Guided tours in English available on request at certain times through
06 8555952 I am told.

Museums in Italy are of course likely to be crowded in July and none more so than the Accademia. How much time in any museum is up to you. The Accademia's collection is nowhere near as extensive as the Uffizi's. You might choose to see only
"David" and Michelangelo's "Prisoners" nearby and just leave, in which case
30-45 minutes might take care of the Accademia for you, once you are inside that is. There are of course other works to see if you want to spend more time.

The Uffizi for me was a problematic museum; I loved the art, hated the museum. I am an avid museum goer but in the Uffizi 90 minutes was unfortunately as much as I could take (heat, poor lighting, absence of captioning,), but if you have more patience, have more guidance, and can tolerate discomfort better than I , 2-3 hours would I think be more average. By all means have a good Uffizi guidebook or audio guide which will help immensely. I didn't think to buy an Uffizi guidebook at its bookshop before I went in, and there were no audio guides when I was there a couple of years ago but I understand there are now. I look forward to a return visit when I can do the place more justice.

I have a file on Florence that I'll be happy to share if you email me. I'm also working on a Rome file for my own upcoming trip which I can also share.

May 2nd, 2001, 07:20 AM
Diane

I just made reservations this AM for both the Accademia and the Uffizi for two weeks from now. (AM for Accademia, 3:15 for Uffizi). It is as easy as pie, although the info I had was to call 011-39-055-29-4883 before 8:30AM Eastern time in the states. I tried yesterday at 8:45 and only got to hear a lovely multi-lingual recorded announcement.

May 2nd, 2001, 07:30 AM
Mary

Hi Nancy,

I ended up calling the Borghese Gallery to make reservations. There is a site, I believe it is www.ticketeria.it where you can make reservations but it constantly crashed my computer. The maximum time you can spend at the Borghese is 2 hours unless you make back to back reservations. We took the guided tour through the museum which was very interesting but there ended up being a lot we didnt see. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to return.....

As for the Accademia and the Uffizi calling a day or two in advance should be fine, although if you go late in the day you really shouldn't need reservations for the Accademia. I'm also thinking that with 3 teenagers you'll be in and out of there in 30 minutes.

This last trip we had the concierge reserve our tickets the morning that we went to the museums. One of the things I don't like about having reservations too far in advance is that it really makes it difficult to be flexible. I also find that it somewhat diminishes the sight seeing pleasure when you're constantly on some predetermined schedule and you have to go, go, go...

The Bargello and the Science muuseums are also quite interesting and may be more appealing to the teenagers. The Bargello has a number of interesting historical "everyday" sort of things on display that I found quite fascinating such as armor, weapons, pottery, etc. in addition to the fabuluos sculptures. The Bargello also closes quite early (around 1:30 I think) so keep that in mind

The Science museum has many of Galileo's instruments (as well as one of his fingers) on display. I enjoyed the science museum as it chronicled the evolution of science (predominantly physics although there were some amazing medical devivces)by displaying models of the instruments used to make the discoveries, and how it blossomed during the Renaissance and beyond. Make sure you get the written english guide as everything is in Italian otherwise. Also if I remember correctly the Science museum was open at a time when everything else was closed.

Have a great trip!

Mary

May 2nd, 2001, 11:44 AM
Gerry

Nancy:

My computer,too, crashed when trying to book firenze.com and other sites. I was using Netscape. It seems for some reason Netscape has big problems with Italian web sites. When I later tried the same with MSN Internet Explorer I had no problems.
My wife and I were in Italy in March. I booked Borgese on line from home. Very easy. Reservations are mandatory for the Borgese. You get a two hour slot. I also recommend the snack bar inside the museum for lunch. Very reasonable and you can take the food outside and eat it in the park. Lots of locals(lunch crowd) were eating there. Since Firenze.com charges a fee for booking non-refundable tickets and I wasn't positive when we were going to be there, I decided to take a chance on the lines. Mistake! We went to the Uffizi early Tuesday AM and waited 2 hours in line. They limit the number of people that can be in the museum at one time. So you have to wait. The Accademia is a seperate museum on the opposite side of town about 1 mile away. By now we were tired and running out of time before our train back to Rome. So decided to skip the Accademia entirely. We had been in Florence overnight but all museums are closed on Monday. Not a big deal to me as I've seen the David before and there are plenty of other things to do and see in Florence. But, if you must see these "must see" things, I suggest you book in advance. I would think July would be even more crowded than March.

Enjoy your trip.

Gerry

May 2nd, 2001, 07:03 PM
aaa

The Pendini hotel has a website and they will make reservations for you to both Uffizi and Academia- they list the prices as 12,000 lire pp plus 2,000 lire svc chg. They only do the resservations and will email you your confirmation number. You take number and bypass lines at Uffizi and pay at eh door. This is a grqatis service that the Pendini hotel runs-you do NOT have to be a guest there... Write:
http://www.tiac.net/users/pendini/uffizitk.html . if that doesn't work email the Pendini hotel direct [email protected] and as a last resort try:http://www.florenceitaly.net ---Hope this helps-

May 2nd, 2001, 07:49 PM
mabella

nancy, you have plenty of responses on here, but I thought I'd give you another option. For the Borghese(My favorite in Rome) we simply went to the information kiosk that you find throughtout the city, they'll give you a number to call. We did this 1 day before our intended visit. We took about 2-3 hours. The worst part was figuring out how to get there. We took the local bus, and no one could tell us which exit to take! For the Uffizi we made similar arrangements, a tourist information bus at Piazza della Republica gave us a no. to call. We made reservations for nightime. Around 8 p.m. I think. There were times when we were alone in the galleries & it felt as if the museum had opened exclusively for us. It was a great experience. Good Luck!

May 7th, 2001, 04:46 AM
Roberta

thanks everyone for all the suggestions....was able to reserve both Uffizzi & Accademia by phone.
thanks again,
Roberta