Accademia and Uffizi tickets

Old Aug 9th, 2017, 07:21 AM
NE
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accademia and Uffizi tickets

We are planning a day trip to Florence during our five day stay in Siena in October . We would like to visit the Uffizi as well as Accademia (to see David) . Any suggestions on how best to schedule both since the advance tickets need to be purchased for a particular time ?
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 08:34 AM

Do one after breakfast, the other after lunch.
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 09:24 AM
NE
Original Poster

Is one busier than the other and therefore better to visit first thing in the morning . Asking since the time needs to be specified .
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 11:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You have to pick up reserved tickets at a particular time but don't have a leaving time.

They're about 15 minutes apart walking.

You'll probably spend less time at the Accademia though there's more to see than just the David.

I'd book the Accademia for around 9 or 9:30. Then the Uffizi may 2 1/2 or 3 hours after that.

If you have an hour to spare in between there's enough to see en route.

Where are you getting your tickets?
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 12:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never booked advance tickets for the Accademia (been several times) and the most I ever waited in line was about 10 minutes. That was for mid-afternoon visits. There was a shorter line for exact cash only.

The Uffizi lines always seem much longer so I would definitely book those.

>>>If you have an hour to spare in between there's enough to see en route.<<<

Yes, the Duomo is between the two (and Santa Croce is not far off the route). While the Duomo doesn't require a ticket and line seems to go fast, if you want to climb to the top (or the bell tower next door), you need a ticket and those can often sell out.

The last bus back to Siena (131 rapid) is around 8pm (ditto for the train unless you want to make a connection in Empoli and have a much longer travel time)and much less service on Sunday (last bus around 7pm). Sunday would be more difficult to visit the churches as you would have to work around services.

On Mondays, many museums in Florence are closed.
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 01:30 PM
NE
Original Poster

Thanks Myer I think i will book in that order too. I am not sure where to get the tickets from. Will need to research a bit.

Kybourbon- I noticed that the museums are closed on Monday so I am thinking of planning the trip to Florence on a Saturday. We will have a car so we can drive from Siena - although I don't know if it is wise to try going into Florence and look for parking etc.

Is it possible to drive to the outskirts of Florence - park and then take a local bus into town?
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 04:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Best kept secret until now. I'm not sure about the Uffizi but you can ask.

Call 011 39 055 294883

This is the museum phone number. I used this number in 2010 and again a month ago for an upcoming trip. Remember time difference.

I think it's intended as an English phone line. The person answering speaks perfect English.

I booked the Accademia for a specific day and specific time of ticket pickup. You don't pay until you pick up the tickets. They give you a reservation number.

They tell you to arrive a few minutes before your scheduled time. There are two entrance doors. The long line which went around the block starts or is it ends at the right hand door. We were told to use the left hand door. Two side by side doors.

I don't know exactly what the timing will be for our upcoming trip but last time when we arrived and walked in the left side door there was one person in front of us at the counter. We walked up, gave our reservation number, paid for the tickets and walked in.

I kept taking pictures of David from different angles, a woman kept coming over to tell me not to take pictures, I nodded "ok", she walked away and I continued with my camera.

That reminded me of a previous trip to Spain. We were flying from Granada to Madrid. They weighed my carry on. This was after the luggage had been taken. My carry on was too heavy. I kept taking things out and placing them in a plastic bag. Eventually the carry on was light enough. I walked away from the counter, put my carry on on the floor, opened it and replaced the things I had removed.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:07 AM
NE
Original Poster

Myer - thanks for the great tip . I will call and book. Upon doing some research I think most people advise against driving to Florence if it is avoidable . So I think we will train it from Siena .
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Myer has it exactly right, especially about the phone #.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 05:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>So I think we will train it from Siena<<<<

If you are staying in the old part of Siena the bus is better than the train. It's faster (as long as you take the rapid one) and picks up just at the edge of the historical center (Piazza Gramsci). The train station is a distance away and you would need to take a bus (or taxi) from the historic center to reach the train station. The bus station in Florence is just around the corner from the train station.