Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

AC and her Mom are back from Amsterdam!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 03:22 AM
AC

Hi all: <BR>Amsterdam is definitely as inviting as I remembered! Love it and will definitely be returning! USD was very, very strong <BR>We stayed at SAS Radisson. Loved it and would stay there again. Staff very accomdating and the breakfasts were terrific. Great room. Large bathroom with WASHCLOTHS and a CLOTHESLINE! Close walk to Dam Square but far enough away to enjoy the quiet. Walked and use the trams everywhere! <BR>Heinekin Brewery opened again on May 23. 11 guilders to get in. 3 free beers and a nice gift as you exit. We enjoyed it very much. <BR>Ate in different places every day (bad with names, sorry)..Never disappointed. We just checked the menu in the window and choose a place to eat. <BR>Weekend trip to Antwerp and Brussels. Both cities deserve a more extended visit. <BR>Also was upgraded on both tranatlantic flights on British Airways just by making an inquiry. First Class, what a way to travel!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 03:24 AM
AC

And: <BR>It's great to be back home again planning my next trip. <BR>Somthing wonderful about going through customs in JFK and having people say <BR>"Welcome Home"!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Stephanie

We are going to Amsterdam soon. Can children take the Heineken Brewery tour? <BR> <BR>S.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 04:11 AM
AC

Stephanie: <BR>Yes, children are admitted with their parents. We saw quite a few children there. There's a lot of interactive stuff for them to do. Free soft drinks for them with price of admission and free beer for you. Free gift for everyone when you leave. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Stephanie

Thanks! One more thing to add to our itinerary. <BR> <BR>S.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 01:17 AM
Patti Suttle

AC-good going on the free upgrades! <BR>Glad you had a good time- your trip sounds wonderful! <BR>Welcome back! <BR>What's next? <BR>Patti

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 01:48 AM
Gerry K

AC, <BR> <BR>I, too, returned from AMS last week, <BR>and you are so right about the "welcome <BR>home" by the customs agent at JFK. It <BR>was most refreshing. Years ago, after <BR>spending a summer in Ireland, I was <BR>"greeted" by a nasty customs agent who <BR>made me want to get right back on the <BR>plane. If it's a new policy of theirs, <BR>it's most welcome. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR> <BR>Gerry K

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 01:50 AM
Gerry K

AC, <BR> <BR> Did you happen to see the silver- <BR>painted "statue/artist" at Dam Square? <BR>Wasn't that guy cool? <BR> <BR>Gerry K

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 03:10 PM
AC

Hi: <BR>Patti you are leaving soon aren't you? Have a great time. London is next! Getting planned as we speak! <BR>Gerry, Yes I saw that silver guy, wasn't that too much. I wonder how long it takes to do that?? <BR>Well finally over my jetlag and trip BOO HOO and back in the swing at work!

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Patti Suttle

AC-yes, we leave THIS Thur. the 21st. Fly LAX to New Jersey then on to Shannon. We'll be there for 10 days then fly to London and there for 3 then Eurostar train to Paris for 4. We come home on July 9 We had our last get-together tonight to get everything settled and everyone is SO0000 excited! <BR>Going with 10 people sure is different-but should be a blast! <BR>I came home and packed! I've never been packed before the day of a trip before!! <BR>We have been planning this trip for 11 months so it sort of seems unreal right now. But, I still have tons to do before we leave and that DOES seem real! <BR> <BR>Your trip report is great-really enjoyed it and I hope to do one too when we return! Thanks for the support! <BR>Patti <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Gerry K

AC, <BR> <BR>How did you go about getting the free <BR>upgrades?? <BR> <BR>Gerry K

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 12:14 PM
AC

Hi Gerry: <BR>After your fiasco with RJ which airline did you end up with? <BR>Anyway, got to JFK around 3:30 for ^PM flight. Very nice young man, asked us what kind of seats we would like...we both told him an aisle see and only half joking I mentioned it was My Mom's birthday. and we would love to fly 1st class. He smiled and said typical British sophistication "I have given you seats with a bit of extra leg room". Thanked him profusely...it was not until we got on the plane that we realized what he had done! I figured that that must have been the easiest thing I ever did. <BR>Coming home: Got to Schipol very early to get our flight home...Talked to the young man behind the counter....was not busy....so I asked. He stated he would put my request in and to check when we landed in Heathrow to check the status. Stopped at a counter on the way to the connecting gate. I told the woman behind the counter what had transpired earlier...she checked and we were indeed upgraded again! amazing!! British Air personnel could not have been nicer or more accomodating. <BR>Just was polite, friendly and asked. I never expected it to happen and was tickled that it did! However, am now spoiled for life !

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Gerry K

Hi, AC, <BR> <BR>I flew with British Airways, also. <BR>And I found their flight crew to be <BR>top notch. <BR> <BR>However, that's been my opinion of <BR>virtually all flight crews. (And I've <BR>flown with nearly forty airlines.) <BR>To me, the real idiots are the self- <BR>centered, I'm-the-only-one-on-the-plane <BR>types, and there are plenty of them. <BR>Anyway, enough pontificating, e-mail <BR>me sometime when you're about to tackle <BR>your next journey. <BR> <BR>(And I will try the free-upgrade request <BR>next time.) <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR> <BR>Gerry K

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 12:40 PM
AC

Gerry: <BR>I'll be in touch!

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Jody

Gerry K, I remember the silver-painted artist street mime in Dam square. He was fun to watch. I also remember a street entertainer we dubbed "pouchman" who we saw on the Leidesplein. You and you're Mom definately would have remembered him. He performs on a rope attached to a pole doing acrobatic stunts. What makes it unusual is that he has nothing on except a bejeweled pouch covering HIS jewels - - - full exposure everywhere else! Totally floored us. We're returning to Amsterdam this Sunday. We can't wait. It will be our third trip there in four years. This time we're staying on a houseboat on a canal in the city center.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 05:47 PM
em

Jody, please tell us how you arranged the houseboat--is it very pricey? Sounds like great fun!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 01:35 AM
AC

Up for Geri:<BR>Hope this helps!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Kristine

I plan on going to Amsterdam in March for a few days. Was the SAS Radisson expensive? Also, how did you get to Antwerp and Brussels-train,plane? How much did it cost.<BR><BR>Thank you.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 02:45 PM
AC

Kristine:<BR>I looked up my bill from the Radisson and with the exchnage rate at the time we paid $129 USD for the room and breakfast. That includes all the taxes etc...<BR>We went to Antwerp and Brussels by train. Amazingly easy and inexpensive.<BR>You can email mail me directly if you would like more information. Enjoy one of my favorite cities in Europe.