abruzzo, tuscany or rimini?

May 15th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

abruzzo, tuscany or rimini?

Hi everyone,

I am taking a beach holiday to Italy in the first two weeks of August, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice place to go? I'm flying in and out of Venice and staying with a friend in Verona for a few days either side, so unfortunately the South of Italy is too far, much as I would love to laze on the beach there! I will be going with a male friend, both of us are in our 20s. Beach is the main priority but some cultural diversions and a good nightlife would be bonuses (in that order!).

I've kind of narrowed it down to three choices:
* Abruzzo because it sounds a bit off the beaten tourist track, and I've never been there, its always exciting to try out new places!
* Tuscany because I've heard there are good beaches there (am I right??!) but not sure where, and also handy for cultural trips when/if I get fed up of the beach!
* Rimini because it sounds like an Italian Ibiza which could be fun, and I've heard every Italian and his/her dog goes there for the August holiday (is that right?!!) which could make it interesting if devoid of culture and peace and quiet!!

If anyone has been to any of the above places and would reccomend one over the others, then please let me know! I'm very open-minded to other places too, if anyone has any suggestions!

Thanks so much,
xverso xxxxxxxxxxxx
May 15th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Any good beach in Italy in August will be a zoo. Look at the Monte Conero area on the Adriatic.
May 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

As long as its an Italian zoo, I don't mind Thank you for the suggestion, I shall look into it!!

xverso xxxxxxxxxxxx
May 16th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I have never been to the beach area in Tuscany but can tell you a little about Rimini and Abruzzo. I am more familiar with Abruzzo because that is where my family is and I have been there many times. Rimini has a large, very nice sandy beach area and the town is a nice size too. I have never done anything cultural there so I don't know about that. Nightlife for 20 somethings should be plentiful too. In Abruzzo~ Pescara, Francavilla al Mare, Ortona, San Vito and Fossacesia, the beaches are very nice also and you will find an assortment of pebble and sand beaches. The area is beautiful in my opinion. The Maiella and the Gran Sasso mountains are breathtaking they can be seen from the towns but if you have a car it is worth exploring. I love the whole Adriatic area of the country. I have found it to be much different than any other I've been to in Italy. As far as nightlife I think it would be much quieter. The food is wonderful in this region and so are the people. You won't see many Americans here.
May 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Hi Zizi, I love Pescara. I have been fortunate to be able to stay there twice. I think it is a bit quiet but that is what I liked about it. Very restful. The beaches are beatiful, the city is nice and the fish dinners at the restaurants are so delicious. And yes, the people are lovely. Wish I was there right now!
May 16th, 2005, 12:12 PM

I would avoid Rimini. Yes, there are lots of bars and clubs, but the beaches are very crowded, the sea muddy, and the city plain and flat.

I would go to southern Tuscany either at Elba (but it will be very crowded) or at Argentario. In both places you'll find nice little beaches and clean blue sea, and picturesque villages. From Argentario you can also take day trips to natural reserves inland, and to Tuscan cities.

Abruzzi is better than Rimini. Same long wide beaches but less people.
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied! Just got back from my holiday today, we picked Abruzzo in the end (Alba Adriatica) and it was lovely! Unfortunate that the weather in Italy has been pretty bad lately, we only stayed a week instead of two with the rest of the time in Verona, but that's no hardship! Would a trip report be helpful does anyone think?

Lots of love and sunshine,

xverso xxxxxxx
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM
cmt

I can't answer your question, but I wonder whether people will post telling you that the best beaches are in Sardinia and Calabria. That's what I've heard, especially from Italians.
Aug 18th, 2005, 03:41 AM

So glad you had a nice time. Shame about the weather though - how has it been bad, exactly ? Yes, a trip report would be great - I don't remember reading anything about Abruzzo before.