? about Paris and an apartment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of our age, it's getting harder to travel and we have decided after our next trip in September/October, we need to go somewhere and stay put.

That somewhere we both love is Paris...we would go in the Spring. I am not sure where our search would begin. We have stayed twice in the 6th arrondisement and in October we will be in the 7th,

I am not even sure what to look for so any guidance would be appreciated from those who have done this...

I am not even sure of what questions I need to answer...

Thanks...
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:05 PM

I would highly recommend you get in touch with Madelyn Willems at ParisPerfect apartments. She is a pleasure to deal with and all her apartments are nothing short of amazing - all in the 7th.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Agree with St. Cirq, we stayed at a Paris Perfect apartment last September and thought it was great. Look on their web page. Just search for Paris Perfect and it should come up. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.Schnauzer
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:53 PM

If you are thinking of relocating to Paris permanently there is more than enough advice on the internet. Do a google search for
living in paris
living in france
living in europe

When you are there in October take some time to inspect apartments with a real estate agent. Since you are left bank people look at the 13th, 14th, and 15th also.

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM

I'll also recommend that you visit the Slow Travel website, which has many reviews of apartments that travelers like yourself have rented.

Also, I will simply add that I had a very good experience renting an apartment from Guest Apartment in Paris. They specialize in apartments on the Ile St. Louis, but have others elsewhere.

http://www.guestapartment.fr/

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Here's another huge recommendation for the ParisPerfect apartments. We'll be staying in one in the 7th in September. If your dates coincide with ours, I'd be happy to give you a tour of it and the neighborhood. All the apartments are located in easy proximity to pharmacies, bakeries, grocery stores, and all sorts of speciality stores for picking up fresh and prepared food.

There are so many considerations when selecting a rental that it's quite easy to overlook something really important (elevator in building?).

After hours and hours of research, and having stayed in a ParisPerfect apartment previously, I determined that they really are "perfect".

We really enjoy the 7th, because everything you could possibly need is nearby, but it's a quieter neighborhood, serviced splendidly by buses (which we much prefer to the Metro).

Please know, however, that these apartments book up way, way in advance. (They do have a rather liberal cancellation policy, and you can always purchase cheap trip insurance to cover the nominal cancellation fee, far in advance, or pro-rata fee closer to your scheduled dates, should your plans change due to a covered reason.)

Most of the time, we opt for modest accomodations. ParisPerfect is quite the splurge, but worth every penny when it comes to Paris. And, those VIEWS!

Once you've "done" all the museums and monuments and major sights and attractions, it's ever so nice to just settle in, enjoy your "living space" (which can hardly be done in any hotel room), and the neighborhood. And, once you've hit most of your "must do" restaurants, it's even better to shop for the splendid produce and other offerings to enjoy in your Paris "home", which venturing out mostly to enjoy the magnificent scenery all about and revisit your special places.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all...we will be in Paris Oct. 8 to the 18th so it would be a good time to look for Spring...

Never even thought of the elevator issue...I love this board ...will follow up on your sugggestions..
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

I just spent time on the ParisPerfect apts. ..they look great. Not as inexpensive as I thought they would be.

Please let me know how the apt. in the 7th is...dk...

I had thought the prices would be less and in fact we could stay at a hotel for less BUT I am assuming I would more than pay for it with coffee and snacks at "home"...problem now is I can't figure how big a place we would need. We are rattling around in a big house here in San Diego...

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM

We've stayed in the same ParisPerfect apartment previously (May 2005) after I fell in love with the photos on the website. We liked it so much, we immediately booked it again.

There are far more economical apartments (dozens) available in the 7th. And, even a few hotels which offer an apartment or two. It's always best to book one for which you can find reviews from others who have stayed there. Photos are often very deceiving. Paying a deposit, booking fee (in Euros), then the (often huge) security deposit upon arrival can be a hassle, all depending. There's a wealth of information on this Forum posted by others who've stayed in apartments in Paris, and, specifically, in the 7th.

Keep in mind...in an apartment you're on your own. No one to ask for directions, assistance with reservations, etc.

One advantage of ParisPerfect is the enormous "Fun Things To Do" booklet (everything you need to know about the neighborhood), and that their (American) on sight assistant is always a phone call away.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

I will go through the old threads for info...I found a few I liked on the parisperfect website. We can check some out when we are there in September because this is not till Spring.

I agree that a hotel is good for asking directions, etc. but we have had 4 trips to Paris by next Spring and I am fairly fluent now so I t hink we would manage.

Did you have a 2 bedroom?..we would want a one altho I don't think a studio would be what I want.

Can I give you my email for comments for when you come back.