?? about my paris retaurant list

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea how to organize them. We will be staying in the 6th (Hotel Bonaparte) and since we don't have to drive could possibly walk to many.

My questions:
1. would we find enough restaurants near our hotel or within walking distance?
2. You all have said that the arrondisements are close to each other. That being true, can I assume we could walk to other arrondissements for dinner?
3. I just can't drag another tour book to Paris. Will the Red Michelin be enough?.I had P Welles book from the library but it was too heavy and thick. Paris is our last stop on our 7 week trip. I also saw a Paris Zagat?
4. The huge list I have is from all your posts. Obviously I can't take them all...sigh!

I am probably asking too many questions.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:08 PM

You're staying in the heart of the city and can walk to nearly every restaurant in the 20 Arrondissements in under an hour. It’ll help work up an appetite. Those at the far end of the 12th, 13th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th are easier to reach via the metro, but are still walkable. We often take to metro out and walk back unless it's near mid-night, it's raining and cold.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Let's see...you're traveling with the geek with a Pocket PC, n'est-ce pas?

Okay. Get Pocket Streets. Go to microsoft.com and download the map of Paris. It has hundreds or thousands of restaurants in its index. Plot the location of your hotel and some restaurants that have been suggested here. Plant pushpins on them. If you can't find all of them, plot them on the map at

<b>http://paris.planresto.fr/</b>

Incidentally, the Michelin Red is available for Pocket PC (neat for searching by price/cuisine/stars), but I don't think it will map hotels and restaurants. But MSPS will pinpoint any address on its map.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:19 PM

You are in walking distance from 100's of good to great reataurants!You are not in walking distance to all 20 Arrondisements but you are within one of the most popular!

Our favorites in the area..Chez Julian,Espadon Bleu, chez Fernand, allard,Rotisserie d'un face, Fish,Petit St Benoit, Reine Blanche,L'Ecluse,Bouquinistres (SP), Za Kitchen Galerie,the cafe on the corner of rue jacoor de le universite..I can't remember where it changes names ) and Rue Beaune..really inexpensive and GOOD@!..
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:16 PM

There are tons of restaurants within walking distance of that hotel, it's a very busy area. You are close to the border of the 7th, so could walk there. You could walk across the river to some and into the 5th, but that might be farther than you want to walk to dinner (and back).

Paris isn't so small that you can walk to every part of it from any other part. Those are just areas or districts or whatever you might call it that the city is divided into, so any one will be next to other ones on its border. It's similar to many cities that have areas that are numbered for administrative reasons -- Vienna, London, Prague, etc, YOu can think of it as a zip code (or postal code, which they do each have their own) of a city, they border each other and they divide up the city. Don't you have a map yet of Paris? Some of them show the outlines of the arrondisements, and ones in some guidebooks do. I know the Streetwise Paris map doesn't mark them, though.

I believe you have the Paris Green Guide -- they are outlined on the map on the inside cover although they don't notate explicitly what that is. It's the dotted yellow lines, and then within each area, the number of the arrondisement is bright red (ie, 6e arr.)

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you...Christina..no I don't have green guide to paris. I wasn't going to get it as I am carrying so many others..but I will get the red guide.

Rob..will tell my husband about the Pocket Streets.We have a Palm but also use Macs so don't know if this will work but I will tell him about it.

Jody..I copied the restaurants down that you suggested.

Now what to do with the hundred others I have that I have been diligently copying.

Thanks..

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:16 PM

My Streetwise Paris map does mark the boundaries of each arrondissement. I think this is a great map to carry, folds up accordian-style, shows every little tiny street, is laminated so it won't be ruined if you get caught in the rain.
Lois, you will have lots of restaurants that you can walk to, but I agree that you can't walk to any area in Paris. At least some would be too far for me to want to walk to and from dinner.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 05:12 AM

There are dozens of good restaurants in the 5th, 6th and 7th that you can walk to from your hotel. We normally eat in the 1-8 or 14 and often take the Metro to dinner and walk back.

Since you will be taking the Michelin Red with you, mark the restaurants from your research on this forum and elsewhere and make notes of others that are not in your Michelin. That way you can get by with just the one guide.

If you will provide your e-mail, I'll send you our restaurant list from our most recent trip. You have a wonderful experience to look forward to.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Two more suggestions to add to your overwhelming list:

A La Petit Chaise at 36 Rue de Grenelle (VERY close to your hotel)

Le Cameleon at 6 Rue de Chevreuse
43-20-63-43
Metro Vavin or a 15-20 minute walk from Hotel Bonaparte

And your questions:
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:29 AM

When I'm not on this board &lt;GRIN&gt; another thing I enjoy is going to a site called &quot;reservethebest.com&quot;.
They arrange what I suppose are subscriber restaurantants by arrondisements. So? You go the the home page - upper left corner change it to English (well, I have to anyway) and you can click on say...the 6th. And the restaurants appear. Then you can check out the menus, prices, the picture of the room, meet the owner and chef...and like I said, I find that sort of fun!
There also are hotels in the service.
Anyway, its fun.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Suzie that sounds great...and someone asked for my email address...mam..

[email protected]
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Rather than the Michelin guide, pack the Zagat restaurant guide for Paris. It's small and quite reliable.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Dave..I just saw that at the bookstore and wondered how good it was...at least it's thin, LOL

It's so hard to eliminate books...I want to take them all. I am a true compulsive.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:19 PM

For those who love Ze Kitchen Galerie in the 6th: Why is it so popular? What is the food like?

I'm curious. Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:00 PM

A good place for restaurant info is

www.eatinparis.com