Abbeyglen Castle or Byrnes Mal Dua House, Clifden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am trying to decide between Byrnes Mal Dua House and Abbeyglen Castle Hotel for our upcoming trip to the West Coast of Ireland. The Mal Dua House web site is appealing and it seems a bit more upscale then Abbeyglen.

Does anyone know how far from the town of Clifden Abbeyglen Castle is?

Has anyone stayed at the Moy House in Lahinch?

Would much appreciate input from anyone that has stayed in any of the above.

Thanks.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 01:50 PM

We stayed at Abbeyglen. From the pre-planning I thought it was quite a bit out of town, but we were surprised to find it almost right in town -- you could easily walk to the center if you wanted to. I will say our stay was extremely pleasant and the staff was so very friendly and helpful. The place is not all that upscale no, and the idea of it being a "castle" is a bit of stretch. It's really all made out of concrete and doesn't have all that much true character, but the rooms were furnished nicely.

Sorry I can't help you with a comparison of Byrnes Mal Dua.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks, Patrick
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Hello: Hey Patrick, I'd really be interested in further info on Abbeyglen. My friend and I are booked there for two nights in the beginning of March and have been looking forward to it. You description is about what I thought--I'm glad to hear the rooms are nice and very happy to hear it's close to town (I thought it was far out of town too). I'm hoping the people there can guide as to what is best to do during our stay there--we're leaving that open to suggestions. Also, how were the dinners? Any info you could give me here would be very much appreciated. I've not been able to find much in the line of reviews for Abbeyglen. Thanks in advance for any information!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Wow, I can't believe it's been five years since we were there. I just pulled out the journal as I don't trust my memory. I do remember kind of letting out a sigh as we drove up to the hotel. It sure wasn't the wonderful attractive castle I had hoped for, even though the guide books had pretty accurately described it. But the interior was very nice and our room was great.

We only stayed there one night and here's what I said about dinner:
"Drinks in bar before dinner -- super friendly and talkative young bartender. Had a couple of Jameson's. Dinner was surprisingly grand! Lee -salad of carmelized pecans and apples, a raspberry sorbet, rack of lamb, and strawberry cheesecake. Pat-deep fried mushrooms on a wonderful mustard sauce over greens, minestrone soup, rack of lamb, and a cheese buffet. Great bottle of St. Emilion at a bargain price! Retired to the bar for Irish coffee (Pat) and cognac (Lee). It was a really great meal except for the cheescake." Sorry, no further explanation or memory about that cheesecake.

I do recall wandering through the hotel and also in talking with the bartender about wonderful trips the hotel does. They do two or three day wilderness trips from the hotel which sounded like a great thing to do in the future. The hotel will help you plan your days with drives and things to do and see in the area.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Patrick--thanks so much for that report. Sounds like just what we will like. I love reading these websites (we're going to Donegal after Abbeyglen). All the food is lamb and salmon--my two very favorites!! And looking forward to the beauty of that area as well as Donegal. Went south last time--want to experience the more remote areas this time. I truly appreciate your help--thanks again!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Just to weigh in on the other side, and confuse the issue - I don't know Abbeyglen, but Mal Dua suited us very well, so it sounds like you can't go very wrong either way.

The Byrnes', an English couple, were pleasant hosts, the room we had was huge and old fashioned with a comfortable double bed and a view of the Twelve Bens (mountains). A quick peek into a couple of other rooms showed that they too were fairly large, but each seemed unique, so I couldn't speak for all rooms. Best full breakfast we've had anywhere.

It's on the southern edge of town and not a close walk to the center, but certainly doable.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 09:06 AM

In oct. of 2003 my son & I had 2 rooms at Mal Dua House for 7 nights. Our rooms & bath rooms were very comfortable. Had every thing we needed(tv ,coffee tea maker,hair dryer). The dining room and sitting room(with honesty bar,tv with every channel,games & books) were also very comfortable. The food at breakfast & dinner were great. Mal Dua is close to the main road, but you hear no noise. It has a small garden. We had lovely views from our windows. It was too far for me to walk into Clifden, but Peter or Aideen would run us in or back. They found us a great taxi to take us around sight seeing. They are a great hosts and their house is lovely. Also, it's is non-smoking, my main reason for booking with them. I stopped in at Abbeyglen and it seems very nice, found the reception rooms a little smokie. I don't think you could go wrong staying there either. Also, we spent 3 nights at Station House Hotel. It was fine. The treat of this trip was 3 nights at Ballynahinch Castle. Hope this will help you. I know you'll have a wonderful trip. Happy New Year to you all, Joan C.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 09:07 PM
sss

I cast my vote for Mal Dua. It was a great place to stay in Clifton. Comfortable...clean...great hosts.... greater food!! Just took a look at the website and found have a chef and do dinners now. New since I stayed. Peter has a van and he will drop you in Clifton and pick you up later...after your pub crawling. An up scale place. Many awards on the website.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:59 AM

Check out on the abbeygeln website for some deals they may have. We stayed for a bank holiday weekend last year as we usually try to get out of Dublin and I was happy with Abbeyglen.

Initially I was a bit surprised as I thought it was more of a castle and one of the public areas is a disaster of the bar. The place is being slowly renovated and this is one room that needs it. Our room was good with a King size bed and we had a deal for 2 nights with dinner and breakfsat and a champagne receprion the first night. It is not a "formal" place at all like some of the more upmarket castles but the staff are warm and friendly as the owner and son. They talk to everyone and many people mistake them for a couple much to their embarassment! Maybe some people equate friendly with being gay. Lovely hosts.

The Dinner we were gnuinely surprised by as it was excellent and we looked forward to it again the 2nd night. There is a large Parrot that talks by the reception and imitates the phone ringing and conversations he overhears in the exact same voice. It was hiliarious. I would though ask for a room away from reception as he was chatting the first night and making phone ringing sounds.

I am told by a friend that there are 2 types of rooms standard and some never renovated rooms that have firelaces etc. I would have preferred one of the newer rooms.

Its a 5 minute walk to the villge and we had a few good and some iffy meals. The best I cannot remember thename but it is beside the pub that is in the centre of the village and it is like a fork in the road. One street is to each side. If walking from the Castle it is to the right side of the pub. I will try to look it up for you.

Giv it a try you will like it.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 01:15 PM

I know you were asking for accomodation information but we had some great meals in Clifden. We ate pub grub in E.J. Kings on a Sunday while the "Big Game" was on. Very entertaining to watch the local little boys run in and out, keeping up with the football game while the locals loudly cheered for their favorites. We got some great take away sandwiches from the Two Dog Cafe. There is a restaurant called "Off the Square" which was fabulous! I had a huge starter of mussels that were incredible.